Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp question

ovidionasone

Very easily done. On the HX Stomp itself, Presets exist in a Setlist and may be named and ordered as you wish. The free HX Edit Software provides enhanced flexibility to arrange your Presets in the Setlist. HX Edit also allows you to Backup and Restore individual Presets or entire Setlists.

Take a look at the HX Stomp's User Guide PDF, and HX Edit's User Guide PDF. Each are available on the Line 6 site, or via HelixHelp.com.

Also know that as an owner of an Helix device, you are entitled to Helix Native software at a significantly reduced price of $99 USD. Line 6 often puts this software on sale several times a year for a further reduced price of about $70. I seem to recollect that Line 6 may also have offered a promotion bundling Helix Native with certain Helix units in the past year or so.  

• Upvote 1

The Stomp doesnt have dedicated setlists. All presets are stored in a single setlist, so what I do with my FAVs is to store them in the first positions, and move down the less inportant and/or experimental/WIP presets.

The big brothers, Helix Floor, Rack, LT etc, they have dedicated User Setlists, separated from the stock presets and templates.

• Upvote 1

What I've also done is to rename all*) blank "New Presets" to "-" (plain dash), using them as separators in the setlist.

*) Of course you don't have to rename each and every one individually; rename one and copypaste over an existing blank "New Preset", quickly done in bulk using HX Edit.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I just received the Stomp, great unit, love it already!! Sounds like the HX Edit software is the way to go for organizing the Presets. Not sure if I should start another thread for this other question, but I can't find a way to change the tempo BPM in larger units than the default 0.1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:05 AM, ovidionasone said:

I can't find a way to change the tempo BPM in larger units than the default 0.1

Hi,

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking with this question? - The unit default is 120.0 BPM, and you can modify this by using the “Tap Tempo” button, or scrolling through using the scroll knob. 

If you mean that you think the BPM divisions should also display 100th and 1000th in the read out, then I’m even more confused? I don’t think that even Frank Zappa ever wrote music that required the accuracy of a thousandth of a beat.

HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev D - English - page 19 has the information about Tap Tempo, and using either note divisions, milliseconds and Hz for delay and modulation fx.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

Here’s a handy tool for calculating time - this only works in whole numbers of BPM

https://tuneform.com/tools/time-tempo-bpm-to-milliseconds-ms

Edited by datacommando
Added link

Thanks, I should have been more clear. So when I turn the tempo knob it goes 120.0   120.1  120.2 etc, that's what I meant that it only moves in 0.1 units, or 1/10 of a beat. If I wanna go from 120 to 60 it takes forever to turn the knob because it only moves in 0.1 increments. I'm hoping there's a quicker way to select BPM's. Hope this clarifies it

On 7/26/2022 at 3:03 AM, ovidionasone said:

If I wanna go from 120 to 60 it takes forever to turn the knob because it only moves in 0.1 increments. I'm hoping there's a quicker way to select BPM's.

Ah, now it makes more sense. 

IIRC, the speed of the scrolling was supposed to have been improved because there had been many complaints about this particular function of the scroll knobs being so "hit and miss".

O.K. I just checked, and in the Release Notes from v.3.0 Firmware update, under "Other Changes and Improvements", it states:

"Parameter knob ballistics have been improved".

Maybe the scroll function in the BPM section was overlooked. By far the easiest way to get close to the BPM you need is to use the "TAP Tempo" footswitch (bit of a clue in the name) and adjust from there. I just did that with my Helix floor and managed to switch from 120 to 61.2 BPM in three presses of the Tap switch. Easy really, or maybe I'm really good at timing.

If you feel that the BPM "dialling in" velocity needs further improvement, I suggest that you post your request to IdeaScale, as it is the only place it is likely to be noticed. Line 6 staff do not monitor these forums, and very rarely do they visit, so you need to sign up to IdeaScale which you can find here:

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/home

Once you've signed up and are in there, find the Helix/HX section from the menu at the top of the page, then you can post your ideas among the other 5,500 plus requests, but it is the only place where it might get picked up.

Please Note: before submitting your ideas, search through all the other requests to ensure you are not duplicating ones that may already be in there. If you don't check, then you will only succeed in watering down the votes the item may already have accumulated.

Once you have added to the IdeaScale site, you can post here, to the "sticky" thread at the top of the main forum page to let other users know and to encourage them to upvote your idea. Link below:

Hope this helps/makes sense.