Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go in 2022? Still happy?

grdGo33

Just curious if some of you have been following the multi-FX units lately and have a decent understanding of where the Go sits these days?  It's barely been 2 years since I bought mine, really not thinking of selling or upgrading, but it seems that there's been quite a few additions to the list of competitors, and I'm just curious how they all stack up vs the Go.

• Upvote 1

I think its fair to say that Pod Go has been a victim of its own success. 2 yrs ago, at that price point, there really wasn't too much, if anything, to compete with it. It offered Helix quality modelling in a light, compact unit, with a great screen and good features at half the price of a Helix LT.  It had some initial bugs that took a few goes to resolve, and the improvements in v1.30 that added footswitch and snapshot naming and colours made it way more useful for gigging.  It's still a very good unit and I'm very pleased with it. I did research thoroughly before buying it so I pretty much knew what to expect from it. 

But 2 yrs on, competitors have got into the Pod Go target market, and attacked Pod Go with a vengeance.  The Mooer GE300 has come way down in price, Zoom launched its G6, the feature packed Valeton GP200 is offering some top end features at an incredible price point, and the new Boss GX100 has really set the cat amongst the pigeons at the sub £500 price point from a quality provider, with touch screen, up to 15 non fixed blocks, fully programmable control switches, all metal construction, blue tooth capability, MIDI, and polyphonic pitch shifting. And its simpler approach to align certain amp tones with specific IRs has proved popular and appears to give more dynamic tones with less effort. Obviously, and as always, views may differ here but customer feedback on the GX100 has been very favourable.

Pod Go still has many good things going for it, e.g. snap shots, light weight, compact footprint, ability to hold 128 IRs, huge choice of amps, cabs, mics and fx, decent footswitch layout, global volume/ wah switching to name but a few.   But it's lack of DSP power, fixed block design, part plastic construction, lack of proper XLRs, issues with the optical expression pedal in sunlight etc now regretably means that its 'new' shelf life isn't going to be very long.

The PGW version has always puzzled me and I still really dont 'get it'.

My view is that for new customers, its now less likely go be attractive. The input impedance debacle hasn't helped here, and neither has Line 6s intransigence not to add 2 additional user blocks and free up the amp and cab blocks away from fixed status to give more flexibility as a straight fx platform. 

Views may differ but IMO I think Line 6 has now squeezed every ounce it could from Helix technology that is now 7 yrs old. Large Helix size units are not really wanted now by most customers, and I fully expect to see Line 6 coming out fairly soon with a new range of MFX with touch screens and enhanced quality, DSP, XLR, blue tooth, and improved feature sets with fully programmable control switches and no fixed blocks...that concept has now well and truly flown, as users want control and choice. 

• Like 1

I am quite happy with my purchase, still to this day.  I purchased originally in Jan 2020 a few days after it was announced.  Finally arrived in May 2020 after COVID supply/shipping delays. 

I could be wrong, but none of the other units (Boss GX100, Mooer, etc) provide a feature akin to the Snapshot mode.  To me, this is the single greatest benefit of the POD Go.  Building one preset per song and then using Snapshots to correspond to each song part - main crunch riff, clean, solo with delay, etc.  - is essential to my workflow.  This is a huge reason why I haven't moved away from the POD Go. 

I love the Edit software and think it is very easy to use when constructing new sounds.  I love the feel of the built-in volume/expression pedal.  I think that a lot of the amp/effect sounds are excellent.  I haven't been able to get a great sound for the pitch shifting/dual harmony, but it's still workable.  

Only other issue I have is the lack of 5-pin MIDI/the USB MIDI does not work wirelessly with WIDI Uhost.  But other than that, honestly don't have any complaints about it.  I use mine for solo acoustic gigs, for my cover band, and I'm about to use it for recording.  I am excited for whatever the v2 of the POD Go will be, but in the meantime, I am very comfortable with POD Go for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

An upside to the Go though is that it does have some excellent effects.  So even if you were to get a new unit for some reason, there would still be use from the Go as an FX unit; bypassing amp & cab, just using for the fancy reverbs, looper, etc.,

Competition

- Boss GX-100

- Mooer GE300

- Headrush MX-5

- Valeton GP200

- Zoom G6

There's a bunch of also cheaper effects, at 1/2 the price, but even if somehow the sound quality of the cheaper units was great, I think all these lose out in flexibility, like ordering effects, PC software, colour screen, etc.

Think I'd have a hard time choosing given the Go's alternatives today.  Indeed, two years ago, going Go was the obvious and easy choice as there wasn't that much competition imho.

Go's complexity

The biggest drawbacks imho to Go is complexity.  I'm still not super happy with the cab/mic and IR side.  Out of my 100ish IRs, I'm often just scrolling and scrolling and the majority sounds like 'crap' to my ears.  They may be imitating real cabs and real mics, but I don't really care, I'd just want 'good sound', I'm not really interested in being 100% accurate to the real thing; I'd just rather have a bunch of great sounding emulated/virtual cabs even if they aren't accurate to existing cabs.  In fact, I was wondering if 'optimal' or 'virtual' IRs exist, some do; like mixes of different cabs...  I'll definitely have to look into that.

Cabs, mics, mics distance, IRs ...

99% of the time I'm messing with Go, I use the Best IR in the world, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6rovO03DA since yeah obviously it's the best IR in the world!  I've not wrapped my head around cabs + mics.  The cab + mic + distance is just too much for my brain (memory & understanding), and I can't get a good grasp / ability of thinking of a sound and getting it by tweaking the settings.  Too many combinations of mics, cabs, add the distance, the hundreds of cabs and mics combinations, it's just too much for my brain.

Do we really need so many cabs and effects?  How many different compressors do you need?

It's the same for the effects; amps, etc., it takes a long time to really know 1 effect (ex; dynamic hall reverb, or glitz, compressors.), so even after 2 years, I'm really far from being a PGO expert.  Hell, Go is too much for my brain.  I'd say I'm maybe familiar with ~10%; I'm starting to know some amps, effects, but I've got what, maybe 3 dozen patches I've built up, and maybe 6 dozen downloaded patches, and I'm mostly using the same ~10 favourite patches, which I'm still tweaking..

Who is Go best for?

So in the end, maybe the Go is best for musicians, experts who really want 'real life' simulation.  For an amateur like myself, maybe a simpler unit would have been best.  How many cabs do we need?  How many amps?  If we had just 12 great amps, even if they're not based on real amps; bit like the Boss Katana or L6 Spider type of logic;  'brown sound', 'crunch', 'metal', etc., with like 12 amazing IRs, that would have been waaaaay better and sufficient for me. 

Maybe we don't even need cab/IR block in reality, you get some EQ capabilities with amps & EQs, I'd prefer having say 24 amps and no cab/mic block,  vs 12 amps + 12 cabs.  The 24 amps would be tweaked amp/cabs/ir combinations, so great sounding 'presets' for the genre, vs you having to find which combinations works and doesn't work;  so;   tweaked presets, vs you having to resolve the puzzle of what works/doesn't...  So; someone having done the work to give you great Amp + cab/IR combinations, rather than you having to figure/tweak everything yourself.

Do you need a PhD in Pod Go?

Not really, Go is simple enough so that anyone can fiddle with it and get basic good sound in just a few minutes.  BUT, if you want to extract the most out of the Go, and make it sound it's best, or exactly like you want, it's really not that simple.  The devil is in the details.  And IMHO, the more complex, the more true, and Go is extremely complex.

Pre-conclusion

So yeah, imho Go is still a great unit in terms of sound quality, capabilities, etc., still a great option, but yeah I don't really know the competition, which seems somewhat overwhelming/overtaking the Go.  Think yeah the go is starting to be a bit underpowered from some of the comparisons I've seen...  

Hell.. I said I wasn't looking for an upgrade...  But thinking, maybe I'll start looking at the details of what's out there.

Is tweaking Go fun or work?

And honestly, the reason is that PGO feels like work.  It's like getting a PhD in PGO.  And using the Go 'correctly' is using a bunch complex formulas; it really does feel like work in a sense.  You can mess with effects/settings/etc., but it's always frustrating that everything is always so complicated;  like a simple thing;  a stupid mouseover which explains what a setting is................  Instead...  It's having to get on the computer and do a web search for w-t-f  a setting does ..........  That's not fun..........  And in the end, you're all too often overwhelmed.  So... Meh...

Future?

So yeah, ditching that for a simpler unit honestly feels somewhat exciting.  If somehow you're getting improved sound quality, huge bonus, but in the end, since getting the best out of the Go is so complex.............  You're going to get better results if the unit is simpler to use.

Like the Dynamic Hall.........  I've been wrestling with it for a couple of weeks.  Sure, I've managed to make it sound good, but it's always like i'm missing the last 10% that I just can't get quite right...  Ex;  videos demoing sound, the reverb will sound better to my ears on the video than on my Go it seems........! 

Conclusion

So yeah, if getting to the finish line is made easier by having less options/complexity; a simpler unit helping you to get great results without overwhelming you with a gazillion options, that would be best for me.  That may be the Go's biggest drawback for myself.  It's not the lack of outputs, parallel paths, multiple amps, not enough DSP or blocks, sound cut during patch change, etc., it's just that the thing is a bit of a pain to use due to its complexity.  (Not as per switching amp is complicated; but so many amps and so many amp settings, or so many effects and so many nebulous effects settings, etc.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And yeah, obviously, I still think the PGo is an INCREDIBLE machine.  It's mind-blowing what it can achieve, everything you can do with it, it's relatively cheap price, quality of amps, effects, etc.  It's downright amazing and honestly mind-blowing.  I really love it.  Is it perfect?  No.  Do I regret the purchase?   Obviously not.  I'm still amazed with it today.  The updates with new effects/amps/etc., just the cherry on top. 

Really fantastic unit, great product.  The above comment has a lot of criticism, but even with the UI, firmware issues and all, highly positive experience, and I haven't regretted my choice for a second.  Like minor gripes, which can be solved, ex; using best IR solves the cab/mic/IR issue.  You learn 3-4 amps, reverbs, distortion pedals, etc.,  which takes time, but once you've learned, it's learned, and you definitely don't have to learn ALL the amps, effects, etc., you don't even need to know what all the settings/effects do.  You can just use part of it and it's still perfectly fine.

I'll likely not 'upgrade', it's really just a passing thought which popped up seeing a vid, which got me curious.   But who knows, maybe!  ;)   :D

I agree 're complexity. The Boss GX100 doesnt have anything like the number of amp models, but in addition to some 'conventional' amp models, Boss has gone down the route of what it calls AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics) that offers some core amp tones and combines them with IRs, so it's much easier and quicker to get a great amp tone. Combined with greater processing power, touch screen, fully assignable control foot switches and up to 15 non fixed blocks with dual routing and polyphonic pitch shift, with full XLRs, the GX100 is imho the new MFX to beat.

It's underlying UI is still a little quirky, and although it doesn't have snapshots per se, it's assignable footswitches and 'instant' patch changes with no noticeable lag means its actually more useable from a gigging perspective. What it doesn't offer is global switching between wah and volume, but afaik no other MFX offers this, which is a Line 6 USP. 

Size wise it's longer and thinner than the Pod Go, but around a similar weight albeit a little heavier, with all metal chassis. 

Subject to Line 6 or others bringing out a new range of MFX,  if I was going to buy a new MFX in the sub £500 bracket, currently the GX100 is the one I'd go for. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, voxman55 said:

I agree 're complexity. The Boss GX100 doesnt have anything like the number of amp models, but in addition to some 'conventional' amp models, Boss has gone down the route of what it calls AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics) that offers some core amp tones and combines them with IRs, so it's much easier and quicker to get a great amp tone. Combined with greater processing power, touch screen, fully assignable control foot switches and up to 15 non fixed blocks with dual routing and polyphonic pitch shift, with full XLRs, the GX100 is imho the new MFX to beat.

It's underlying UI is still a little quirky, and although it doesn't have snapshots per se, it's assignable footswitches and 'instant' patch changes with no noticeable lag means its actually more useable from a gigging perspective. What it doesn't offer is global switching between wah and volume, but afaik no other MFX offers this, which is a Line 6 USP. 

Size wise it's longer and thinner than the Pod Go, but around a similar weight albeit a little heavier, with all metal chassis.

Subject to Line 6 or others bringing out a new range of MFX,  if I was going to buy a new MFX in the sub £500 bracket, currently the GX100 is the one I'd go for.

Hmm... That sounds pretty good!

Yeah also a bit more expensive if you don't go PGO wireless.  The snapshots are a bit of a workaround for the Go's issue that the sounds cuts out when you switch patches.  Means you can't switch patch mid-song..  But Boss, you don't have that sound cut off, so you can just make 4 patches and it's even better than snapshots, which are more a pain in the butt to edit than regular patches.  So it's way more flexible as you can literally go from anything to anything, and 200 patches is plenty...  Effects trail carry if both patches contain the same effect if I recall.

"Up to 15 simultaneous effect blocks provide unlimited tone possibilities"  <--  Go users begging to unlock a 5th block if DSP is available.  LOL

nd yeah, from the comparisons, maybe it's because newer units are newer, but people tend to go for the newer units rather than the aging Go.  Doesn't make it worse than it was ever, just So that L6 has its work cutout for the Go, if it wants it to remain competitive, it would really benefit from improving it as much as possible, because it's apparently getting left behind by its competitors.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, grdGo33 said:

it would really benefit from improving it as much as possible, because it's apparently getting left behind by its competitors.

Exactly this. Pod Go needs 2 additional blocks and the ability to remove amp and cab models.

Pod Go is still good, but it is now behind the curve. 

Yeah, but to be fair, looking at the prices:

- 629 / 719$cdn for Go/GoWireless. 

- 829$cdn for Boss GX100.  So ~30% more than the non-W Go.   Add taxes, 960 vs 730, $230 cdn difference after taxes...  It's significant, not huge, but Go is still cheaper.

• Headrush MX5 = 629, so identical, Hr Gigboard = 899. 
  • Zoom G6 is 349. 
  • Mooer is ~700. 
  • Valeton GP200 is ~460 looks like.
  • Hotone Ampero is 370

Haven't looked much into any of these, but as I said, I'd likely check them out and if I had to choose today...... Who knows!    Maybe a price drop is also incoming for the Go, or new version or replacement coming up.  Would depend on sales and all.

The Headrush MX5 looks very cool also.  It actually looks closer to what I was describing in amps/mics/ir, effects #, etc.

• Number of Effects: 63
  • Effects Types: Distortion, Dynamics, Modulation, Reverb, Delay, FX Loop, Expression
  • Amp Modeling: 46 x Amp Models, 15 x Cabinets, 10 x Microphone Emulations
  • Impulse Response: 300 x IRs, 3rd Party Support

I think before owning the Go, the # of amps, effects, etc., were a plus, but after 2 years and my usage...  Not even that it's a plus, maybe it's even too much..

Hell, the MX5 has DUAL AMPS AND DUAL CABS ........ !!!  It's really a small sexy unit too.  Looking at a vid I see something like 9 blocks for effects, maybe its limited by DSP but still, 4 vs 9.  9 > 4.  It's FIVE extra.  That's more than twice as much as the Go.  Ouch....  Touch screen...

(tried editing above to add but edit bugging out...)

Yeah and reading some of the comments on the MX5...  (from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vvc5RExeDY)

Everytime I hear headrush it's exactly what I want my helix to sound like..... Helix is hard work. Too much hard work.
I've been using the POD GO for 6 months now, and the Helix LT for about 3 months. I love them both but this MX5 has my attention. It sounds phenomenal and its size really appeals to me. After 30 years of gigging my rig has gotten smaller and lighter...this MX5 would make my current rig even smaller and lighter. I've tried FRFRs but prefer an amp (I current run a Quilter into a light-weight cab with a 1x12" speaker). SO basically I use the POD GO or Helix LT as a pedalboard.

Great video. I have had the PODGO for about a year. I think it is a good unit with many pluses. However I've always found myself constantly tweeking and trying different IRs, not getting much else done and couldn't get to the place that I was really happy with the tone and feel. Then I bought the MX-5 a couple months ago because I really liked my Avid 11 Rack in the past. Within minutes I was grinning ear to ear with the tones I was getting. Without much aggravation, I have several usable tones I'm happy with that I don't sit and mess with and not play and record. I do agree that IRs and proper EQ is key with any modeler. Digging the York IRs at the moment. This is my experience and ears. That being said, I think the newer Line 6 stuff is good. I have the HX Effects unit which I think is phenomenal. I hear many Nashville Session guys have them on their board. Keep up the great videos.

Considering the price $399, MX5 is the game changer in the market definitely. Same DSP power with other larger pedalboard and the compact size is killing me. I bought this one right after official release and sold my Zoom G11. What Headrush Pedalboard has is in this tiny cute MX5. I strongly believe that those who love compact multi modellers and powerful machines, I think MX5 is the answer. I am in love with this tiny but growling machine. :)
Simplicity is the reason I went for a Headrush pedalboard instead of the Helix or Fractal. The drag and drop smart phone style of interface just seemed right to me. I have had many other digital effects units where I wasn't to unlock all it's capabilities because navigating through the menu was either a huge hassle or too complicated. Very happy with the Headrush.

complexity is recurrent complaint seems like.  I for sure won't make the switch, I don't think I'll be buying a HR MX5 for now, but damn...  Yep...  Like the Boss, if it was today, HR is looking mighty attractive too.

[edit]  But yeah HR MX5 for amps and all, plus PGO maybe for the sweet reverbs like Ganymede and Dynamic Hall (I'm a real sucker for fancy reverbs, and not sure how the MX5's compare), I could actually see this in the future.  

And cheaper than the Boss too!  At ~630, it feels a bit like ~500, which is almost in budget price; kinda feels like budget / throw away money... At 830, 960 with taxes, you're nearly hitting 1000, which is double than 500, it's like a big jump mentally.  Like yeah you're spending more serious money.  Are you getting 2x as more with the Boss as the MX5?  Just a couple hundred bucks, but it just feels different given the price brackets..

On 7/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, voxman55 said:

Headrush mx5 and Ampero are not comparable units to Pod Go; fine for home but insufficient footswitch control for gigging. Ditto with the Mooer GE150/200/250 units, and the NUX Mg300.

That's quite the absolute statement!  It's a bit funny to hear when you think about how musicians for so long have been gigging with pedalboards and even just simple amps.  Are you absolutely certain that it would be impossible to gig with those?  ;)   

But yeah seriously I don't really have an opinion on the matter, I think many would disagree with you as reading comments many do seem to use ex; MX5 for gigs.   But yeah, ymmv.  Some reviews seriously stated that you wouldn't gig with the Go because its rear is made of plastic.  LOL

Also, I really doubt that most people buy the Pod Go to do gigs.  It would be a really weird choice too.  I'd think at least you'd get an Helix LT or something, if you were a pro & did gigs...   But what do I know!

Spoiler

Jimi Hendrix's live rig, circa 1970 | Jimi hendrix, Guitar effects, Hendrix

730 mentions J'aime, 6 commentaires - Zed Bones (@zedbones) sur ...

The Edge

https://www.guitar4fans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/470b097034fd48531c03fa4df8c3c1fb.jpg

People certainly do buy Pod Go to gig. In fact, even a lot of Helix users have bought Pod Go as a simpler, lighter rig to travel with or when they don't need the sophistication of Helix. 

Re units like MX5, Ampero, Mooer GE200 etc, yes of course you can gig these but it depends on your needs. If you are in a covers or wedding band and need to change tones quickly, particularly mid song, you might struggle with MFX that have less footswitch control as it may require a bit more tap dancing.

I'm not sure I'd gig Pod Go though. It's biggest problem is patch change latency.  For gigging I still currently use my Vox Tonelab SE and LE, which has seamless patch switching, and is so easy to use and tweak live with real knobs. It also still sounds and feels really good and valve like thanks to the 12AX7 valve that is effectively used like a power tube. And although it doesnt have the sophistication or IR capability of modern units, there are no DSP limits to worry about. It's still the best MFX for my needs that I've found. 

Going to an audition for a wedding band next week, and because I can't easily drive there and will use public transport I'll take my Pod Go, G10 Relay, and my cheap Harley Benton TE52NA 'Tele' in a gig bag to keep everything light. 

Re units like MX5, Ampero, Mooer GE200 etc, yes of course you can gig these but it depends on your needs. If you are in a covers or wedding band and need to change tones quickly, particularly mid song, you might struggle with MFX that have less footswitch control as it may require a bit more tap dancing.

Don't let the lack of switches fool you, for the MX5 at least, there appears to be different modes you can set it to, and basically it's the equivalent of PG's snapshot mode;  https://youtu.be/_m7o9LbI-xU?t=1977   and again, if there's no Pod Go sound cut off when switching different patches, then you can go from one patch to the other so really you don't need a dozen buttons, you can just setup patches for every sound you need. 

The drawback to the HR unit seems to be sound quality;   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUE6po_Cyw    So the quality of high gain amps might be lower to Go, but, somehow I've read lots of comments of how amazing it sounds so again, who the hell knows...   Likely 'good enough' for most, but not as good as others... 

Even the Helix/Go, some have complained or stated that it didn't sound as good as this or that unit, others have said the opposite, anyway, HR MX5, probably ranks lower than the top dogs.  Like everything; YMMV, subjective opinions and all of that.

So I don't know...  Guess Go is still in the running, switching from Go to another might be more like a side step rather than an upgrade at the moment; all have +/-, so just subjective choice; not like it's clearly inferior to the newer stuff out there.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:48 PM, pianoguyy said:

We all know that these things are programmed to instantly sound bad the minute the new thing comes out. 

Not so - if Pod Go didn't sound really good, I'd have returned it within 30 days - Pod Go's tone and amp/cab/fx options were never a problem. 

The best update from my perspective was v1.30 which added snapshot & footswitch naming, and colour coding which really enhanced it, from a 'gigability' perspective.  I'd simply like it to have enhanced versatility re 'blocks' to make the most of its DSP, but sadly that is unlikely to happen. 

I certainly won't be looking to change my Pod Go anytime soon for something else - it's still an excellent piece of kit. Aside from tone, which it has in spades, the only reason that I'd ever 'dump' my Pod Go is if it ever became unreliable for gigging. For me, reliability is absolutely crucial - I can work around the 'shortfalls' of any piece of gear (and every piece of gear has its USP's, it's pros and its cons) but I can't work around reliability issues!  But so far, and touch wood (notwithstanding the early bugs/glitches which had to be fixed via v1.1 and v1.2) having had my Pod Go for a little over 2 years now, I'm pleased to say it's behaved flawlessly. 

My only criticism of Pod Go from a gigging perspective is it's horrid flimsy wall-wort PSU with its worryingly thin and ridiculously short cable - so I have a spare just in case.  To be fair to Line 6, they too are not exactly enamoured by it themselves, but it was the best solution they could find balancing Pod Go power requirements and cost factors. 

Wonderful responses to the question. As a constantly gigging  musician who is using a Vibro King (four cable) with the Pod Go for the last month, it has its pluses and minuses. I don’t use the amp sim at all, no need, but the other effects are impressive and fun. I never thought I’d take the PodGo out of the house, thought I’d use it primarily for practice and recording but it’s been a lot of fun live. Downside…it’s not very robust and has taken a dump already after one month of gigging, around 20 gigs.  It’s still on warranty but the response from the Line6 team has been poor.

Bottomline: The technology and the versatility is quite impressive and amazingly fun, but after one month of playing live with it I’ll be going back to the pedals, for the next  week.. I have a gig in a week for 10k-20k crowd without the PodGo because it took a dump on me

On 7/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, voxman55 said:

Not so - if Pod Go didn't sound really good, I'd have returned it within 30 days - Pod Go's tone and amp/cab/fx options were never a problem.

I for one, know for a fact that when a new product comes out, it makes others sound worse.  And I don't mean in an Apple kind of way, where they covertly and deliberately make your phone runs slower when a new Apple phone comes out; or 'optimize battery'.    You, my friend, are underestimating the power of placebo...!   :D

But yeah it's hard to have a clear view of what is what...  With for instance YT 'reviews' which are often little more than paid advertisements, over-excited users hyping what they own, poor comparisons (just using presets or having 1 unit louder than the other, or bad/different EQ, etc.), PLACEBO about the newer thing sounding better (disappears in blind testing conditions), different cab/mic/IR, etc.,  really hard to know what's what.

I remember when the Helix Alias fix/improvement came out, I tried to listen to it, and it was really on the insignificant / barely audible/detectable, but still some would say it makes a huge difference..... 

I watched a few comparison vids, Go vs this and that.  Side by side, with its excellent effects and all, it tends to hold its own I think with pretty much anything.  I don't think that at the level it is, that it's ever going to be blown away, since I mean already in a blind test vs real amps, it's really hard to tell them apart.

I think also that the effects in Go / Helix are excellent, so when comparing vs Axe Fractal or Neuro Quad or whatnot, when ex; testing the shimmer, reverb, delays, etc., it holds its own.  Even vs that Big Sky $500 dedicate reverb box I don't know the name, I mean, it's not identical but pretty darn close.  Even heard some claim the Dynamic Hall is just as good as anything out there...!  But even the reverbs pre recent updates where somewhat comparable.  Don't think competitors fare that well there with their budget units.

So yeah not perfect; could be simpler imho.  But far from being 'old' or obsolete it looks like.  Sure, more powerfull stuff for more $, attractive features here and there, but I can see new users go for Go.  Still attractive units today despite everything.  Every unit has its quirks and shortcomings.  PGO Edit for instance, not perfect, but 100x better than having no editing software!  Not all units get new fancy effects/amps too, etc. etc., 

On 7/21/2022 at 2:48 PM, grdGo33 said:

And I don't mean in an Apple kind of way, where they covertly and deliberately make your phone runs slower when a new Apple phone comes out; or 'optimize battery'.

I am no fan of Apple. But I don't fault them for slowing down the old phones. Where they messed up was they should have told people, and maybe given them the option (especially since many people replaced their battery) instead of secretly forcing it on everyone. 

Batteries only charge x-amount of times before they show wear. A battery that can't run your phone makes the phone look bad to the uninformed. Slowing down an old phone with an old battery actually prevents numerous issues from happening.  

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2024 at 6:18 PM, jpb1977 said:

Bumping this as I'm curious if 2.0 firmware fixed the ability to receive MIDI program changes via the WIDI UHost?

I highly doubt it. It is not mentioned among the bug fixes in the release notes. I suppose I t’s possible that it is among the ‘Other minor fixes and improvements’ but you’d need someone who can test it to tell you.

Looking at the description of the WIDI UHost I see it uses MIDI an over Bluetooth. The POD Go is not Bluetooth capable. So I expect there’s an approximately 0% chance that it’s ’fixed’ (which is a misnomer in the first place since it’s not a bug). The POD Go uses MIDI over USB. It makes no claim to handle MIDI over Bluetooth.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:00 PM, silverhead said:

I highly doubt it. It is not mentioned among the bug fixes in the release notes. I suppose I t’s possible that it is among the ‘Other minor fixes and improvements’ but you’d need someone who can test it to tell you. Looking at the description of the WIDI UHost I see it uses Bluetooth. The POD Go does not. So I expect there’s an approximately 0% chance that it’s ’fixed’ (which I think is a misnomer in the first place since I wouldn’t classify it as a bug). The POD Go uses MIDI over USB. It makes no claim to handle MIDI over Bluetooth.

uHost is a BLE Midi Host that you can plug to any MIDI device or controller that has has a compliant USB port. This will give the device access to MIDI BLE. So isnt the uHost that has to talk with the Pod (which would be impossible since the Pod doesnt have BLE), but it's the uHost which gives BLE MIDI to it.

I use it with my HX Stomp, awesome stuff.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:06 PM, PierM said:

uHost is a BLE Midi Host that you can plug to any MIDI device or controller that has has a compliant USB port. This will give the device access to MIDI BLE. So isnt the uHost that has to talk with the Pod (which would be impossible since the Pod doesnt have BLE), but it's the uHost which gives BLE MIDI to it.

OK - I misunderstood the technology. Thanks for the clarification and education!

• Upvote 1

Some great posts here.... as somebody considering a Pod Go... what is the view on the impedance issue, is it a big deal?  Was it only older units that were affected or does it also affect new units still? I understand the wireless model is not affected, but I'm not sure I see the value in wireless for my use case.  Nobody above mentioned the HX stomp, I am still torn a little between the stomp and the go.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 3:06 PM, PierM said:

Question, are you using it with the USB jack of the HX Stomp or the MIDI in/out? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with the Pod Go (USB) if it does with the HX Stomp.