Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tempo synced delays help needed.

stratblue

FW 3.15. I've set up an amp with simple delay in mono. I'm sending midi clock from a sequencer to the Helix Rack and a Roland TR8s. In global prefs it's set to receive midi clock from the right inputs. When I start the sequencer the TR8s kicks off perfectly in time as does all my other gear receiving clock, the Helix however is acting weird. The footswitch flashes blue and says 'Ext' while the sequencer is playing but reverts to the global tempo setting when I stop. The flashing blue ring is obviously well out of time, it's as if the Helix has received a start message but no tempo info (I'm guessing that bit), I set the simple delay to 1/1 and I expect to hear what I play repeated once per bar but it's simply out of time. It used to work perfectly and I'm almost certain it worked just fine after 3.15. I have bypassed the MRCC patchbay and connected the sequencer directly to the Helix but the behaviour still manifests. Obviously I have done something really dumb here so I was hoping some ultra geek can point to some button that needs to be pressed or whatever. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I have similar issue. HX Stomp 3.50, HX Edit 3.51.

I'm sending MIDI clock from BeatBuddy drum machine to HX Stomp. I configured BB to always send MIDI clock even when BB is not playing. However HXS syncs with BB only when BB is playing - HXS FS3 turns blue and blinking syncs with BB. But if BB stops playing, HXS FS3 turns back to red and blinking tempo goes back to global setting default. I confirmed BB keeps sending MIDI clock via MIDI analyzer.

Upon further investigation, I found that HXS ignores MIDI clock until it receives MIDI Song Start system message, and ignores MIDI clock again after it receives MIDI Song Stop system message. That's why HXS goes back to default tempo when BB stops. I'm not sure if this is a bug of HX Stomp, or an expected behavior from MIDI protocol.

Anyway my workaround was simple; I configured BB not to send Song Stop message, now BB and HXS are always in sync.

Hope this helps analyzing your issue.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2022 at 2:32 AM, yalyari said:

I found that HXS ignores MIDI clock until it receives MIDI Song Start system message, and ignores MIDI clock again after it receives MIDI Song Stop system message. That's why HXS goes back to default tempo when BB stops. I'm not sure if this is a bug of HX Stomp, or an expected behavior from MIDI protocol.

IMO... I would expect that to be intended behavior of the MIDI protocol. 

If an external midi device is not running (eg: song/part not being played) I'd want full control of the tempo on my Helix - so reverting back to global/snapshot/preset tempo (depending on choice) on song stop makes sense to me. 

If it didn't work like that, your Helix clock would always be controlled by the external device... which I think you would find very annoying. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, yalyari said:

I have similar issue. HX Stomp 3.50, HX Edit 3.51.

I'm sending MIDI clock from BeatBuddy drum machine to HX Stomp. I configured BB to always send MIDI clock even when BB is not playing. However HXS syncs with BB only when BB is playing - HXS FS3 turns blue and blinking syncs with BB. But if BB stops playing, HXS FS3 turns back to red and blinking tempo goes back to global setting default. I confirmed BB keeps sending MIDI clock via MIDI analyzer.

Upon further investigation, I found that HXS ignores MIDI clock until it receives MIDI Song Start system message, and ignores MIDI clock again after it receives MIDI Song Stop system message. That's why HXS goes back to default tempo when BB stops. I'm not sure if this is a bug of HX Stomp, or an expected behavior from MIDI protocol.

Anyway my workaround was simple; I configured BB not to send Song Stop message, now BB and HXS are always in sync.

Hope this helps analyzing your issue.

Thanks. I'm using a Genoqs Octopus which does send a start/stop message. Just now I started the Octo 3 times to test and the Helix delays were synced only once, without me changing anything.

Not sure about CC 123 which is Mute All command in general. In my case with BeatBuddy, it sends SysEx Song Start and Stop commands as described here. HXS responds to these SysEx commands.

Another interesting behavior I found is that even while HXS ignores MIDI clock after receiving SysEX Stop command, if I change tempo at BB via tap tempo, scroll wheel, or MIDI command to BB, then HXS responds to that tempo change and syncs. This tempo change at BB doesn't trigger any MIDI command to HXS but HXS still detects the tempo change. It seems that HXS keeps measuring MIDI clock even when it ignores, and syncs to the clock if tempo change detected.

• 2 months later...