Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

News about next gen Pod GO?

vasileLupu

Hello everyone!

So, I am in the market for a Pod GO but I was thinking... does any of you know if it will be an update to this pedal? Like a Pod GO v2 or something? To have the impedance issues solved, more DSP power and so on.
Any rumors? Any speculations? Does Line6 have a specific period of the year to launch products? (like Apple has with the iPhones in sep/oct) Should I wait a little bit more? Anything expected in the near future?

I really like this pedal with all the effects and stuff, but the fact that a newer more up to date version might come soon is killing me tbh.

• Like 1

There won’t be a next generation POD Go for a long time. The POD Go isn’t even that old. It was announced at NAMM 2020, about 2.5 years ago. The POD Go Wireless was announced in Spring of 2021.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, phil_m said:

There won’t be a next generation POD Go for a long time. The POD Go isn’t even that old. It was announced at NAMM 2020, about 2.5 years ago. The POD Go Wireless was announced in Spring of 2021.

I'm not so sure about that Phil. When Pod Go was launched, it was ahead of the pack at that price point and there really was very little to compete with it. However, Pod Go has been a victim of its own success and has spawned a whole host of new competitor units including the Zoom G6, Valeton GP200, Headrush MX5, Boss GX100 and even reduced pricing of the Mooer GE300. 

The problem for Pod Go is that it is prematurely now showing it's age. It's lack of DSP, fixed block design, lack of true XLR, and Helix modelling technology that is now 7yrs old, and the input impedance debacle means that it is no longer as attractive a proposition as it once was. PGW always was in my view an odd proposition due to its wireless limitations. 

Line 6 are used to leading this market. Fewer customers will now be in the market for big, heavy units like Helix floor and LT, and there is a move now to more compact, lighter but more full featured units...the Boss GX100 is a case in point - sub £500, dual routing, polyphonic fx, up to 15 non fixed fx blocks, XLRs, all metal construction, touch screen etc. 

Line 6 has squeezed everything it could from Helix,  but I think it's a safe bet that Line 6 has a whole new approach and new range already in development.

Think the V2 was the wireless.  So the next one if there is one would be the PGO V3.  But that said, I don't see it either.  PGO is based on Helix, and as long as there's no new Helix, and I don't see L6 build new algorithms or whatever for the Go before the Helix.

A more powerful Go would just, imho, cannibalize more expensive units, and it would be a bit redundant.

You can read my thread about competitors, but having looked a bit into it, I think the Go is still very relevant and has a unique set of features.  So it's not obsolete.  And Helix sound for ~450....  It's never going to be 'bad'/obsolete.

I think if you like the Go's set of features, I'd recommend buying.  If you don't, in 3 years you might be in the exact same place, and there might not be more info about any new versions.  Just take the Helix as Vox mentioned, it's 7 years old, and there's no news of a new version.  So if you wanted the Helix but waited for its updated version, you'd still be waiting.

But who knows really!  There's the HX Stomp XL, and I'd not have predicted that coming out.  There could be a Pod Go XL, with more DSP and some extra stuff, who knows!

On 7/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, vasileLupu said:

To have the impedance issues solved, more DSP power and so on.

btw, the impedance is supposedly solved for new units, and getting fixed for free by L6 for existing users.

Also, about DSP...  Well... Yeah...  It makes the decision harder.  When it was released, it wasn't really an issue as nothing else was comparable, and just getting Helix quality in 450, well, for me that was a ridiculously easy choice, having considered buying the Helix earlier.  But today.........  I wouldn't say competition is 'more powerful', since I'm not sure the cost & FX quality and all....   

But for instance, the MX5 has no accompanying software, so even if PG Edit isn't perfect, it's way more practical than fiddling on the tiny touch screen and all.  And Go has Helix FX quality.  Soo...     BOSS has BOSS Tone Studio.. Hmm.. Anyway, not as an easy decision as 2020.  :)  Good luck!   

But yeah, nothing wrong with waiting a couple of months/years also, you likely have a current rig, so if it does the job.  If L6 doesn't release anything new, likely other companies will also.  But Go's resale is likely good, could probably get 300 I'm guessing for it, so for a 1-2 year 'rental' definitely cheap. 

Just to clarify  originally Pod Go had the same modelling quality as Helix. However since Helix v3.10 that is no longer true because Helix now has over sampling. Reports suggest the difference isnt huge, and is akin to e.g. a 4k TV vs perhaps a 4.5k tv. 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, voxman55 said:

I'm not so sure about that Phil. When Pod Go was launched, it was ahead of the pack at that price point and there really was very little to compete with it. However, Pod Go has been a victim of its own success and has spawned a whole host of new competitor units including the Zoom G6, Valeton GP200, Headrush MX5, Boss GX100 and even reduced pricing of the Mooer GE300. 

The problem for Pod Go is that it is prematurely now showing it's age. It's lack of DSP, fixed block design, lack of true XLR, and Helix modelling technology that is now 7yrs old, and the input impedance debacle means that it is no longer as attractive a proposition as it once was. PGW always was in my view an odd proposition due to its wireless limitations. 

Line 6 are used to leading this market. Fewer customers will now be in the market for big, heavy units like Helix floor and LT, and there is a move now to more compact, lighter but more full featured units...the Boss GX100 is a case in point - sub £500, dual routing, polyphonic fx, up to 15 non fixed fx blocks, XLRs, all metal construction, touch screen etc. 

Line 6 has squeezed everything it could from Helix,  but I think it's a safe bet that Line 6 has a whole new approach and new range already in development.

I’m absolutely positive that there isn’t a POD Go replacement coming anytime soon… I can’t go into all the details, but it’s going to be around for a long while. That’s not to say new products won’t be coming out, but nothing that’s going to be a next gen POD. I don’t think Line 6 is really going to try to play in the super inexpensive end of the market. Basically, they can’t afford to…

On 7/17/2022 at 9:15 PM, phil_m said:

I’m absolutely positive that there isn’t a POD Go replacement coming anytime soon… I can’t go into all the details, but it’s going to be around for a long while. That’s not to say new products won’t be coming out, but nothing that’s going to be a next gen POD. I don’t think Line 6 is really going to try to play in the super inexpensive end of the market. Basically, they can’t afford to…

In my view Phil, Line 6 can't afford not to. Of all the new MFX currently out there, I'd suggest the Boss GX100 is arguably the biggest MFX threat not only to Pod Go sales, but also Helix floor, Helix LT and Helix Stomp XL sales.

The biggest reasons that folk have upgraded to e.g. Helix LT from Pod Go or have chosen one of these instead of Pod Go were processing power, no fixed blocks, dual routing, customisable control switches, and polyphonic fx. The GX100 now offers a solution at the sub £500 price point. Of course, there are other advantages of a Helix LT...but it's not going to be as attractive a proposition as it was, unless there is a serious price repositioning. 

Out of interest Phil, do you work for Line 6? 

On 7/18/2022 at 4:05 AM, voxman55 said:

…….

The biggest reasons that folk have upgraded to e.g. Helix LT from Pod Go or have chosen one of these instead of Pod Go were processing power, no fixed blocks, dual routing, customisable control switches, and polyphonic fx. ….……

I presume that’s your personal opinion as opposed to you having some supporting data? Even if it’s true, there are still many people who prefer the simplicity of the POD Go, and aren’t bothered by it’s restrictions (imho).

On 7/18/2022 at 4:05 AM, voxman55 said:

No. Like me Phil carries the ‘Expert’ tag. It’s significance is explained in the pinned ‘Welcome…’ topic at the top of this page. As forum moderators we are in regular contact with some Line 6 employees and sometimes find things out that are not public knowledge. Our NDA restricts us in what we can share here but some things we can disclose.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:05 AM, voxman55 said:

In my view Phil, Line 6 can't afford not to. Of all the new MFX currently out there, I'd suggest the Boss GX100 is arguably the biggest MFX threat not only to Pod Go sales, but also Helix floor, Helix LT and Helix Stomp XL sales.

The biggest reasons that folk have upgraded to e.g. Helix LT from Pod Go or have chosen one of these instead of Pod Go were processing power, no fixed blocks, dual routing, customisable control switches, and polyphonic fx. The GX100 now offers a solution at the sub £500 price point. Of course, there are other advantages of a Helix LT...but it's not going to be as attractive a proposition as it was, unless there is a serious price repositioning. 

No, I don’t work for them… Like Silverhead mentioned above, I have an association with them through the Expert User program. Just seeing the development process of thr POD Go, which took quite a long time, I know Line 6 doesn’t plan on abandoning it anytime soon. Of course, plans can change if sales aren’t there or something like that. I’ve not seen evidence of that.

The GX100 is $170 more than POD Go, which isn’t insignificant in this bracket. I know a major goal with the POD Go was keeping it $500 or less. I actually don’t know how much of a threat the Boss products are to the line. Boss has always been there, and they’ve always made good products, but I think there’s a good number of people who simply won’t give Boss stuff a second look.

Anyway, like I said, I’m not saying Line 6 won’t be doing anything new. They certainly will, and it’s not going to be in response to any particular product, though. Development takes a long time. Anything that comes out within the next few years has been in development for a few years already.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:46 AM, silverhead said:

I presume that’s your personal opinion as opposed to you having some supporting data? Even if it’s true, there are still many people who prefer the simplicity of the POD Go, and aren’t bothered by it’s restrictions (imho).

No. Like me Phil carries the ‘Expert’ tag. It’s significance is explained in the pinned ‘Welcome…’ topic at the top of this page. As forum moderators we are in regular contact with some Line 6 employees and sometimes find things out that are not public knowledge. Our NDA restricts us in what we can share here but some things we can disclose.

Evidential responses from multiple forums, groups and FB pages. I stand by my views. I really like Pod Go, which is why I bought it, but I'd suggest the term 'simplicity' is only relative to Helix. It is still a sophisticated bit of kit that for most new users will still require a fairly steep learning curve.  

If you and Phil are correct that there is nothing new planned within say a 12 month period, then if Line 6 wants to encourage more new customers in my view it should modify it's original premise for Pod Go.

Over 2 yrs ago, I can understand it's fixed block approach, but the market and customer dynamics have changed. Adding 2 additional blocks and release the amp and cab blocks to non fixed status will make Pod Go more attractive to new  customers and help encourage existing customers to retain their Pod Go's for longer and not go to other non Line 6 products.

This would be particularly advantageous for those wanting to use Pod Go with a guitar amp and as a conventional pedal board. It will also give greater choice and flexibility to existing customers. 

In my view, the above would really help to extend the shelf life of Pod Go, that has been a victim of its own success.  

• 1 year later...

Pod Go 2.0 software update is due 7th November.

We done yet know what it will contain, but it will do something bigger than more amps, more effects as those are minor patches like 1.20, 1.30, and 1.40.

I doubt this will fix the DSP issue,  it I run a compressor with a high quality buffer before my pod, which fixes the impedance issue and frees up a block. With that in mind, I’m content with my Pod Go for now, so I welcome the new patch without any deal breakers on the table.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, kyral210 said:

Pod Go 2.0 software update is due 7th November.

We done yet know what it will contain, but it will do something bigger than more amps, more effects as those are minor patches like 1.20, 1.30, and 1.40.

I doubt this will fix the DSP issue,  it I run a compressor with a high quality buffer before my pod, which fixes the impedance issue and frees up a block. With that in mind, I’m content with my Pod Go for now, so I welcome the new patch without any deal breakers on the table.

7 Nov was a provisional date shown in the unintentional intended short lived Line 6 release notes, so could change. The release notes front page referred to Pod Go getting a new cab engine. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, voxman55 said:

Evidential responses from multiple forums, groups and FB pages. I stand by my views. I really like Pod Go, which is why I bought it, but I'd suggest the term 'simplicity' is only relative to Helix. It is still a sophisticated bit of kit that for most new users will still require a fairly steep learning curve.  

If you and Phil are correct that there is nothing new planned within say a 12 month period, then if Line 6 wants to encourage more new customers in my view it should modify it's original premise for Pod Go.

Over 2 yrs ago, I can understand it's fixed block approach, but the market and customer dynamics have changed. Adding 2 additional blocks and release the amp and cab blocks to non fixed status will make Pod Go more attractive to new  customers and help encourage existing customers to retain their Pod Go's for longer and not go to other non Line 6 products.

This would be particularly advantageous for those wanting to use Pod Go with a guitar amp and as a conventional pedal board. It will also give greater choice and flexibility to existing customers. 

In my view, the above would really help to extend the shelf life of Pod Go, that has been a victim of its own success.  

While I'm not a died in the wool Line 6 fanboi, I just bought a PGW over the Boss ME-90 for a few reasons, but an important one is based on what I perceived as "better customer support". The Line 6 forum communities are invaluable. Also, I perceive an effort by Line 6 to keep products current. Did I mention that I can edit my PGW on a Windows 7 machine; this shows me that Line 6 are looking after their customer base. I would have had to upgrade to Win10 for the Boss. Are Line 6 cannibalizing new product sales by making older/existing products relevant? Maybe, but they might be building a good case for customer loyalty ... topic for another conversation ...

On 11/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, Newf said:

While I'm not a died in the wool Line 6 fanboi, I just bought a PGW over the Boss ME-90 for a few reasons, but an important one is based on what I perceived as "better customer support". The Line 6 forum communities are invaluable. Also, I perceive an effort by Line 6 to keep products current. Did I mention that I can edit my PGW on a Windows 7 machine; this shows me that Line 6 are looking after their customer base. I would have had to upgrade to Win10 for the Boss. Are Line 6 cannibalizing new product sales by making older/existing products relevant? Maybe, but they might be building a good case for customer loyalty ... topic for another conversation ...

I've made similar comments here and on other guitar forums/facebook groups.  Line 6 commitment to customer support & upgrades was a huge reason in 6/2020 why I chose Pod Go.  The GX100 didn't come out until later, and the ME90 was only quite recent. 

The ME90 is a good unit (one of my best friends has one - it's fine for him as he only uses 3-4 patches) but its useless for my needs as a gigging guitarist doing a lot of covers where I typically have 8-10 patches.  And that is because it has no patch-naming which is essential for me.  I set patches up in song name order (doesn't matter if some tones are duplicated) so I don't have to remember which patch is which and get lost.  Just having patch numbers only went out with the ark - even my Vox Tonelab SE & LE from 2004/2007 respectively give patch-naming.   I think it's an absolute cheek though that Boss make you buy the PSU separately!     

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, voxman55 said:

I've made similar comments here and on other guitar forums/facebook groups.  Line 6 commitment to customer support & upgrades was a huge reason in 6/2020 why I chose Pod Go.  The GX100 didn't come out until later, and the ME90 was only quite recent. 

The ME90 is a good unit (one of my best friends has one - it's fine for him as he only uses 3-4 patches) but its useless for my needs as a gigging guitarist doing a lot of covers where I typically have 8-10 patches.  And that is because it has no patch-naming which is essential for me.  I set patches up in song name order (doesn't matter if some tones are duplicated) so I don't have to remember which patch is which and get lost.  Just having patch numbers only went out with the ark - even my Vox Tonelab SE & LE from 2004/2007 respectively give patch-naming.   I think it's an absolute cheek though that Boss make you buy the PSU separately!     

Too funny, especially the piece about the numeric display!  I liked that it could run off of batteries and could take a MIDI signal. But the PGW can do both too, so it won!

On 11/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Newf said:

Too funny, especially the piece about the numeric display!  I liked that it could run off of batteries and could take a MIDI signal. But the PGW can do both too, so it won!

But the PG/PGW can't run off batteries?

On 11/7/2023 at 3:29 AM, Newf said:

Correct, not your standard cells, but I power it with a Joyo Power supply and use this Voodo Labs cable to double the 500 mA current from two of it's output jacks. I don't know how long it lasts ... I haven't had a chance to do a test to determine running time, but it works. If the battery goes flat, I can just plug it in.

Ah, OK - cool!

• 2 months later...

As has been touched on above, I'd like to see the next generation of pod go to include a battery for total portability. With enough power to last 2 gigs. And a portable cab to go with it.

We already see large portable speakers from jbl and sony with batteries that last over 6 hours. 

I think these devices can move in this direction.