Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go 1.40 is finally out!

Rhystic1

I played around with the new update for a while and so far I think this is awesome!

I absolutely love ADT and I'm super happy to see it available - in fact, years ago I wrote an essay on Revolver, the album which presented ADT for the first time! It sounds best when you output in stereo of course, but even in mono via a single amp it can still create some very interesting sonorities. 

The Metal Zone emulation is pretty solid, and the Tesselator is fun to play with, though it might require more experimentation and time to fully use it to its potential. Surely excellent to create wild soundscapes, especially when combined with other effects/filters.

I'm loving the Ampeg Liquifier as well. The BOSS CE-1 emulation is my go-to chorus pedal, but the Ampeg sounds fantastic too. I prefer using it with the Headroom increased by a couple dBs to have a "cleaner" effect.

I very briefly looked at the rest, unfortunately I don't have much time to play today, but first impressions were very positive. We had to wait a long time, but it was worth it!

OH SNAP!!  Nice!  :D

POD Go 1.40 (released July 19, 2022) includes a new Line 6 original amp, 9 new effects, 18 additional Legacy effects, and bug fixes, and is recommended for all POD Go and POD Go Wireless users.

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING your POD Go firmware to 1.40 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

1. While holding footswitches C and D (top row, 2 middle switches), turn on POD Go. Wait for "Will reset Globals, Presets, IRs..." to appear in the upper left corner of the display and let go.

Ha!  Ok just a FYI, last step of PGO update;

<Update complete.  yaddayadda  successfully 1.3 to 1.4  yaddayadda, POD GO is rebuilding its preset library and will reconnect to Pod Go edit in a few minutes.>

It won't reconnect automatically to Edit, you can click back to Edit, and if it's done it's going to connect, if it's not done I guess it won't... (I was waiting for it to switch back but I don't think it's going to switch back by itself  lol)

And again just to be sure, when restoring the backup after updating and factory reset, you're also better off restoring the 1.3 presets over the 1.4 presets? 

Thanks, the update is great and there are some effects I will definitely be using (and probably a few I won't - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't include them for others!).

I have a question about the Dynamic Plate reverb: If the crowd was wearing chipmunk costumes instead of ocelot, would that absorb more or less high frequencies?

On 7/20/2022 at 5:08 AM, Dlaniger said:

Thanks, the update is great and there are some effects I will definitely be using (and probably a few I won't - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't include them for others!).

I have a question about the Dynamic Plate reverb: If the crowd was wearing chipmunk costumes instead of ocelot, would that absorb more or less high frequencies?

Clearly depends on the size of the chipmunks. Are we talking nursery school or a swingers club?

• Haha 2

I'm new to electric guitar, but in the last update I was hoping to see more usability improvements, while it was focused only on adding more effects.

I was kind of under impression that POD GO already had more than plenty effects compared to the competitors, and generally as well.

Is it what needed by the community the most? More effects? Just curious.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, ibalashov said:

I'm new to electric guitar, but in the last update I was hoping to see more usability improvements, while it was focused only on adding more effects.

I was kind of under impression that POD GO already had more than plenty effects compared to the competitors, and generally as well.

Is it what needed by the community the most? More effects? Just curious.

I agree that Pod Go has more than enough  amp and fx models, but there are always users that will ever want more toys to play with.  

Prior to buying Pod Go a little over 2 yrs ago, I was gigging with my Vox Tonelab SE and LE units, from 2004 and 2007 respectively. Way less amp, cab and fx models, and built in restrictions meant you can only have 1 each of amp, cab, delay, reverb, modulation, and one selection from the pedal section. No IRs, no snap shots...although the TLSE does have AB switching per patch that lets you set up two different amp/ cab models in the same patch. 

I'm more of a classic rock and blues player, but also play some jazz, country, funk etc. The limitations force you to be more creative, and I've always been able to get the tones I wanted.

I gig with these because they still sound great, and real knobs and rotary selectors make them really easy to use on stage. Tonally they can still hold their own against modern MFX because they have a 12AX7 valve, effectively used as a power tube, which tonally and feel wise helps make them sound and feel reasonably close to a valve amp. 

The Pod Go has a ton of stuff packed in it, and in my view it really doesn't need more. V1.30 added footswitch and snapshot naming and colour coding, which was very welcome and badly needed from a gigging perspective.  Certain other flexibilities were added e.g. FS7/8 can now be set to scroll through patches ...very helpful in 6 stomp mode.

From a utility perspective many users including myself want to see 2 additional user blocks and the ability to turn off the amp and cab models, to make Pod Go more flexible.  Unfortunately this goes against Line 6's 'vision' for Pod Go and it is most unlikely that customers will get this.  Line 6 is also very anti providing DSP info, so unlike Zoom and Mooer units, Pod Go users have to rely on a third party chart created by Ben Vesco to help users understand the DSP cost of their selections. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, voxman55 said:

I agree that Pod Go has more than enough  amp and fx models,

I'll disagree a bit with Vox here!  The Go really benefits from some effects; for instance, the Dynamic Hall/Plate reverb, the Shimmer reverb, etc., these are extremely nice features to get as freebies, so yeah a big YMMV.  For me these were fantastic additions, but that's not something I would say for all effects...  But reading a bit the comments and tutorials and stuff, for instance for the Amps, some have said that the new amps just sound better and better, even if the L6 process to create them is the same as the original amps.   Amps are kinda crucial, so I don't doubt one sec that most of the users are glad to have new great sounding amps.  Again, YMMV.  FWI, the Benzin is one of my favs, it's a new amp.  The US Princess is another community favourite I think, so kinda nice to have.

What I'd really like to see is some sort of contextual help.  In PGO Edit, when configuring an amp/effect, being able to put your cursor on a setting and getting the explanation.  That would be GREAT help, as often you have no clue what a setting does, so having a hint / mouseover with short explanation would do wonders for improving user experience, as having to do a web search for the info every 10s is a pain.  If the mouseover could give tips that would be even better.  (like "value ~5 is recommended, but 7 is great for ___ and try value 3 with this other parameter at 7 for _____!"

++ for the rest of Vox's post!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, grdGo33 said:

What I'd really like to see is some sort of contextual help.  In PGO Edit, when configuring an amp/effect, being able to put your cursor on a setting and getting the explanation.  That would be GREAT help, as often you have no clue what a setting does, so having a hint / mouseover with short explanation would do wonders for improving user experience, as having to do a web search for the info every 10s is a pain.  If the mouseover could give tips that would be even better.  (like "value ~5 is recommended, but 7 is great for ___ and try value 3 with this other parameter at 7 for _____!"

I think that would be great but from a development perspective there's the 80/20 rule. It's the idea that 80% of the content takes 20% of the time and the other 20% of the content takes 80% of the time. That sort of thing drives up the cost a lot and you are committed to doing it for every item added in a future update. I think Line 6 decided that the YouTube community does a good job at showing you how to use the unit and they have monetary incentive to do it fairly well.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 11:31 AM, voxman55 said:

real knobs and rotary selectors make them really easy to use on stage.

I can't agree more here. Being able to just quickly turn a knob is something that's seemingly overlooked these days. 

I'm really liking the new amp model. I'm also a mostly blues player, and it's got some great tones for that. I'm always happy to get an amp that has a good clean tone which can be built on. And the HP filter control really allows you to dial in a fat/thin tone depending on what you're going after. I can really get that "edge of breakup" that is often sought after which then cleans up nicely with just a slight volume adjustment on my guitar. 

On 7/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, grdGo33 said:

What I'd really like to see is some sort of contextual help. 

What I wish would've been done, was giving all the amp/effect the explanations the patches give with the new stuff. The notes on what each knob/switch is meant to do is a real help when playing around with something. All the original stock stuff would've benefited greatly from that, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

i have to agree with voxman here....it already was loaded ide like to see what he and i and others want and ask for at the ideascale web site....give us more flexibility and the ability to turn off blocks we dont need or use and add useful features not more amps and effects..or options in pod go edit and things we can actually benefit from..if ya dont have good presets by now you probably never will so we need other refinements and options or else there will be alot of used pod go units for sale lol

I agree 50% that PG has already enough amps/effects, but this time they have focused in synth effects which from my pov was a lack before the update, so very happy with that. Of course flexibility and new options are always a bigger plus for everyone knowing the limitations of the unit. 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, chugzilla said:

the ability to turn off blocks we dont need or use and [...] if ya dont have good presets by now you probably never will so we need other refinements and options or else there will be alot of used pod go units for sale lol

The issue isn't that it's not possible to build good presets, it's that it could be way faster and easier, less tedious, more practical, etc. with contextual help.    It's something that does not exist for Pod Go.   https://www.knowledgeowl.com/home/contextual-help

But you're asking for something that you can already do.  You can already download a patch where you have 8 dynamic blocks.  It's super easy, it takes less than 2 minutes.  So ironically, you're asking for more 'flexibility' by adding a feature that the Go already has, a one time 2 minutes effort that you can do yourself, while at the same time, rejecting true practicality by saying that you can still build good presets...  The irony.............   LOL  

( not really funny...  Morel like; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5aKZSF9EM but yeah... reminder of why democracy doesn't work, why the west is falling, etc. lolol)

• Like 1

Ok: update 1.40.

New: 1 amp + little more than 2 hands full of effects (mostly Line 6 Originals).

Pod Go: 3 issues fixed

Pod Go Wireless: 1 issue ficed

Pod Go Edit: 3 issues fixed.

Some minor fixes and improvements (whaterver they are).

But: still the same restrictions regarding flexibility of the signal chain.

Loveless update just to release one?

Am I happy whith 1.40? No, I am not.

I am disappointed, to be honest.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, olerabbit said:

Ok: update 1.40.

New: 1 amp + little more than 2 hands full of effects (mostly Line 6 Originals).

Pod Go: 3 issues fixed

Pod Go Wireless: 1 issue ficed

Pod Go Edit: 3 issues fixed.

Some minor fixes and improvements (whaterver they are).

But: still the same restrictions regarding flexibility of the signal chain.

Loveless update just to release one?

Am I happy whith 1.40? No, I am not.

I am disappointed, to be honest.

I think thats a little ungracious and unappreciative to say the least!

Pod Go updates broadly follow Helix updates, and the v3.15 Helix content has been around for many months, so we knew what to expect.  Sadly, the Heliosphere didn't 'fit' in Pod Go due to DSP and memory requirements. 

Manufacturers are under no requirement to provide firmware updates and a lot of time and effort goes into these.  Its not a 'right'.

Whilst I too am critical of Line 6's stance not to add 2 user blocks and release the amp and cab models from their semifixed status, which is an ideological issue for them, I'm still appreciative of all the work they do to enhance Pod Go for their customers.  

You should only ever buy an MFX based on what it provides, and not what you hope might be added In the future. Line 6 played it with a straight bat and made the limitations of Pod Go abundantly clear from outset.  If it didn't suit your needs, then I'm afraid thats down to you. 

Have you actually tried the new models?  There's some good things in there.  

• Like 2

In Europe manufacturers are required to provide updates for digital goods.

European consumers even have a warranty claim to ensure that issues will be solved.

If I buy a product I want it to work perfectly. I do have a right to this, absolutely.

I do not have to be gracious for getting bugs fixed. It’s my right.

I do NOT have a right to upgrading the content (new amp models, FX etc).

That’s what I should have been thankful for because it’s a cream topping.

And I am thankful for that, believe me.

Though it’s a question of being competivie in the market for L6, too.

So if I buy a Pod Go knowing that the signal chain is rigidly determinated I knew what I get.

I can ask for a better solution and hope that L6 will listen.

I am disappointed because L6 does not listen to this big wish of many Pod Go customers.

L6 rigidly holds on to its software design.

Who of us combined all the amp models, cabs + IRs and FX oft he Pod Go to find the perfect sound?

There are so many possible combinations that it will take half a lifetime to try them all out. Less is somtimes more.

Assuming all bugs are fixed with 1.40: what will bring the future?

3 more amp models added to the 80+ models already included?

10 more FX tot he 200+ already included?

Or a new hardware successor with sufficient DSP to provide a flexible signal chain?

I still have to upgrade to 1.40. I’m in no hurry because I already have found my sounds for the band.

Ok, 1 new amp model to try out and two dozends of new FX.

Nice to have but not essentially needed.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, olerabbit said:

In Europe manufacturers are required to provide updates for digital goods.

European consumers even have a warranty claim to ensure that issues will be solved.

If I buy a product I want it to work perfectly. I do have a right to this, absolutely.

I do not have to be gracious for getting bugs fixed. It’s my right.

I do NOT have a right to upgrading the content (new amp models, FX etc).

That’s what I should have been thankful for because it’s a cream topping.

And I am thankful for that, believe me.

Though it’s a question of being competivie in the market for L6, too.

So if I buy a Pod Go knowing that the signal chain is rigidly determinated I knew what I get.

I can ask for a better solution and hope that L6 will listen.

I am disappointed because L6 does not listen to this big wish of many Pod Go customers.

L6 rigidly holds on to its software design.

Who of us combined all the amp models, cabs + IRs and FX oft he Pod Go to find the perfect sound?

There are so many possible combinations that it will take half a lifetime to try them all out. Less is somtimes more.

Assuming all bugs are fixed with 1.40: what will bring the future?

3 more amp models added to the 80+ models already included?

10 more FX tot he 200+ already included?

Or a new hardware successor with sufficient DSP to provide a flexible signal chain?

I still have to upgrade to 1.40. I’m in no hurry because I already have found my sounds for the band.

Ok, 1 new amp model to try out and two dozends of new FX.

Nice to have but not essentially needed.

I agree that bugs need to be fixed, obviously, and that's accepted. I was referring only to new models and features being added.  I'm not particularly keen to see ever more amp and fx models as I said. There's so much in there already and so much sounds quite samey. I have only 16 amp models in my Vox Tonelab SE and LE, and I probably only regulay use a half dozen of those.  

On 7/21/2022 at 9:05 PM, Bahnzo said:

I'm really liking the new amp model. I'm also a mostly blues player, and it's got some great tones for that. I'm always happy to get an amp that has a good clean tone which can be built on. And the HP filter control really allows you to dial in a fat/thin tone depending on what you're going after. I can really get that "edge of breakup" that is often sought after which then cleans up nicely with just a slight volume adjustment on my guitar. 

I'm also finding the new amp very useable. I've no idea what it's supposed to emulate (if indeed it is) but it's one of the easiest to set up to be responsive to volume tweaks & playing style. A great starting point for those Joe Walsh tones too that really respond to how hard you dig in. 

Regarding the update, everything I paid for initially works fine & I now have more options to either use or ignore as I see fit. It's 3 more updates than I've either had from Boss or Zoom in the same period. The only minor hitch for me was I allowed Pod Go to store the back-up where it defaulted to but it failed to find it after rebooting. No big deal if you know where to look but might worry anyone who doesn't. It's still a great unit if you bought it for what it is rather than what you hoped it would become. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:27 AM, DoozyDKM said:

I'm also finding the new amp very useable. I've no idea what it's supposed to emulate (if indeed it is) but it's one of the easiest to set up to be responsive to volume tweaks & playing style. A great starting point for those Joe Walsh tones too that really respond to how hard you dig in. 

The Ventoux is a line 6 original - the designer wanted to create something that didn't exist in the real world, combining Orange and Fender Tweed amps. As per the release notes:

"The amp model name is Ventoux, which is a mountain in the south of France that is a legendary cycling climb. I did it in 2018 and it was awesome and very hard.

This model comes from a physical amp idea I had a while back. I was going to build it as a tube amp first. There are only so many hours in a day, though. The idea was to create a “coveted boutique amp” that had a different origin story. Most coveted boutique amps come from modified black panel Fenders or modified Marshall circuits. I wanted to do the same thing, but base it on the early 70s Orange circuits and the mid-wattage Fender Tweed circuits.

Ventoux has a unique topology. In an indirect way, every knob is kind of a gain/drive control. The tone controls adjust the character and/or amount of the overdrive in those frequencies. This might be seen as complicated by some, but I find it exciting and full of possibilities."

—Ben Adrian, Sound Design Manager

Product info on L6 website concerning Pod Go Edit 1.40:

„18 additional effects—most from the FX Junkie model pack for POD Farm 2.5—have been added. Don't sleep on these!“

Pod Farm 2.5 was released in 2015. Surprising that old Pod Farm sounds can be loaded into a Pod Go.

Hopefully we’ll get more hot Pod Farm sounds in a future Pod Go version.

Updated and restored my presets. 

Had a Preset with a Princess amp and cab. Upon restoring the presets the amp and cab were gone and could not be replaced. Just the effects ported over. Strange happenings!

On 7/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, OmegaSlayer said:

I've noticed there's some Legacy stuff that is not in the Pod Go...I think the Legendary Drive or Prince Of Tones for example

Does anyone know the reason?

The Legendary Drive was too DSP intensive to make it into the Pod Go and the Prince of Tone is called the Heir Apparent.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 7/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, silverhead said:

Clearly depends on the size of the chipmunks. Are we talking nursery school or a swingers club?

What concretely would be different between these two? Because I usually prefer to use additional sources like https://edubirdie.com/do-my-paper that will help me with my studies at school; this is really very comfortable especially if you are a student and besides working, because you will have extra time for work or rest, this really helps me because otherwise I would have to study and I wouldn't be able to work, which would mean no more going out with friends (because I wouldn't have money for that) and many other things that students avoid when not working.