Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question for psarkissian or any other Variax devotees

I'm, no stranger to the world of Variax. Had an electric 300 and a 600, tried the JTV 89, have a JTV69 and JTV59.
I always used 9s on my strats. After all these years, when I put EB Slinky 9s or Cobalt Slinky 9s on my 69 I feel like I'm breaking the law.
I sounds OK to me, but always wondering if I am really diminishing the ability of the piezos. Should I just stick with the
D'Addario XL 10s?

I just put on a set of EB Cobalt .009 gauge and they seem to work fine.  I had .010's on it and was getting weird transients.  The .009's just seem to work better for me. Why you wanna work so hard??? I also changed out the medium frets on my Variax Standard to medium jumbo.  Plays almost as well as the JTV59 that I had. That guitar was like your fingers were floating on air, even with a chunkier neck, but I'm a Strat guy and Standard fits my style better and I like the thinner neck and lighter weight. Also, I do prefer the 5 way switch. My friend immediately bought the 59 from me! I lost $200 on the deal but it covered the cost of the Standard which I think, on its own, is a great guitar! Sounds as good as my '91 Strat Plus!

" I had .010's on it and was getting weird transients. " --- Set-up has to be more spot on than normal passive electric guitars,

due to interaction between magnetic pick-ups and piezos (warbling from pick-up height not adjusted, whistling howl from tuning

or intonation not being spot on). Quirks to be aware of.