Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poly Pitch Vs Poly Capo?

ReeV0

Hi all,

On a lot of my bass patches on my Stomp, I have the Poly Pitch effect tuned -12 and 20% mix, just to give a bit of a low end boost. But I just tried the Poly Capo with same settings, and to my ears it does sound better and seems to track more accurately. Does anyone know the difference between Poly Pitch and Poly Capo?

Cheers

Here's an excerpt from Chapter 4 on "Poly Block Techniques" from my Helix book:

The poly processor has four different personalities:

Poly Pitch. When enabled, the pitch slides from the non-transposed pitch (i.e., the effect’s bypassed state) to a transposed pitch you specify. You can edit the slide’s duration, as well as a separate time to slide back to the non-transposed pitch after bypassing the Poly Pitch. (The sliding is like a synthesizer’s polyphonic glide or portamento.) My favorite application is steel guitar-like bending effects.

Poly Wham. Use this for pedal-controlled pitch shifts. If your guitar doesn’t have a vibrato tailpiece…now it does.

Poly Capo. For simply transposing your guitar, polyphonic capo is the best choice.

12-String. This gives a 12-string guitar’s personality, although I prefer to make my own 12-string presets based on the Poly Capo.

Here's some more info specifically about Poly Pitch:

This effect can give pseudo-steel guitar effects, by sliding from one pitch to another over a specified period of time, and then sliding back down again. Poly Pitch is also useful in situations with out-of-tune instruments.

Poly Pitch doesn’t do anything unless you enable or bypass it. When enabled, the pitch slides up based on the Interval parameter (fig. 4.5). For example, if Interval is +12 and you enable the effect, the pitch changes to an octave higher. It’s like hitting a chord on a steel guitar, and then moving the bar up an octave.

The slide’s duration depends on the Shift Time parameter (0.0 to 8.00 seconds). So, a 500 ms setting would take half a second to transpose from the original pitch to the new one.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:21 PM, ReeV0 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in sliding or anything like that, so would you recommend to use Poly Capo?

IMHO if all you need to do is transpose, Poly Capo is the best option. The reason for the multiple options is to be able to choose the right algorithm for the right functionality.

Although you can do some pretty amazing things with bass slides :) Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do use a lot the poly blocks, and IME the Poly Pitch seems tracking better than Capo, especially for soloing, phrasing, glissato etc etc. Capo is fine for very basic things, like chords in first position and powerchords.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:56 AM, PierM said:

I do use a lot the poly blocks, and IME the Poly Pitch seems tracking better than Capo, especially for soloing, phrasing, glissato etc etc. Capo is fine for very basic things, like chords in first position and powerchords.

Hmm interesting. Back to square one haha

On 7/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, ReeV0 said:

Hmm interesting. Back to square one haha

Its not really like night and day, but little glitches like warble and false harmonics are less common with Poly Pitch in complex phrases. At least that's my personal experience, using these effects intensively. Experience might probably vary between different styles and genre...etc :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2022 at 12:22 AM, craiganderton said:

Here's an excerpt from Chapter 4 on "Poly Block Techniques" from my Helix book:

The poly processor has four different personalities:

Poly Pitch. When enabled, the pitch slides from the non-transposed pitch (i.e., the effect’s bypassed state) to a transposed pitch you specify. You can edit the slide’s duration, as well as a separate time to slide back to the non-transposed pitch after bypassing the Poly Pitch. (The sliding is like a synthesizer’s polyphonic glide or portamento.) My favorite application is steel guitar-like bending effects.

Poly Wham. Use this for pedal-controlled pitch shifts. If your guitar doesn’t have a vibrato tailpiece…now it does.

Poly Capo. For simply transposing your guitar, polyphonic capo is the best choice.

12-String. This gives a 12-string guitar’s personality, although I prefer to make my own 12-string presets based on the Poly Capo.

Here's some more info specifically about Poly Pitch:

This effect can give pseudo-steel guitar effects, by sliding from one pitch to another over a specified period of time, and then sliding back down again. Poly Pitch is also useful in situations with out-of-tune instruments.

Poly Pitch doesn’t do anything unless you enable or bypass it. When enabled, the pitch slides up based on the Interval parameter (fig. 4.5). For example, if Interval is +12 and you enable the effect, the pitch changes to an octave higher. It’s like hitting a chord on a steel guitar, and then moving the bar up an octave.

The slide’s duration depends on the Shift Time parameter (0.0 to 8.00 seconds). So, a 500 ms setting would take half a second to transpose from the original pitch to the new one.

So, once again. Can I transpose with poly wham as well? I mean poly capo takes way too much dsp and makes less blocks available, comparing to poly wham. And in case I wanna use poly wham for transposing of my guitar, should I keep position on 1% and set both  toddler by same amount?