Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F tuning selector knob availability

I would like to get a new tuning selector knob for my JTV-89F but there aren't any out there. On the Line 6 site, it says they are out of stock. My hope is it's because of all of the shipping issues these days. Does anyone know if that is true? If not, am I out of luck, or will there eventually be some coming in somewhere?

No deal. I recently bought one each of JTV-69 model and alt tuning knobs from Full Compass as possible spares for my 89Fs, and they are all that could be obtained. I was thinking I could just paint the silver cap black. Both are off by one in selection. Would only use if desperate.

While I'm rambling: I discounted the 59 knob for cosmetic reasons. Had I asked about the Standard/69 knob compat with the 89F before buying, I'm sure I could have been set straight. The stop is definitely offset differently with respect to the shaft D hole.

But at least I have extra caps for the knobs. My buddy's new 89F had the cap missing from its alt tuning knob. It's in for warranty service (along with a bad piezo).

Yes I did try Full Compass.

A missing black cap is exactly why I want one. It's actually missing from the alt tuning knob. I may just get the 59 knob since it's the only one available. I would like to know if they will be available again eventually.

I had actually bought 2 of the Standard alt tuning knobs, in case my buddy wanted us to do the fix ourselves. He opted for warranty repair instead. For 1 of the 2 I received, the cap promptly fell out of the knob. If you want, I can send it to you gratis. Some black epoxy paint ought to fix up the color. I don't want to take one of my 89F knobs apart just to see if the cap fits, so this would be a good science project. :)

IMG_3057.jpeg

On 7/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, StanPenn1 said:

I had actually bought 2 of the Standard alt tuning knobs, in case my buddy wanted us to do the fix ourselves. He opted for warranty repair instead. For 1 of the 2 I received, the cap promptly fell out of the knob. If you want, I can send it to you gratis. Some black epoxy paint ought to fix up the color. I don't want to take one of my 89F knobs apart just to see if the cap fits, so this would be a good science project. :)

IMG_3057.jpeg

I will PM you. Thank You!!

On 7/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, brue58ski said:

Sorry this took so long. Got a lot going on. I can't see a way to PM you. I'm going to explore further so I haven't given up yet. Thank you

There is no longer a PM capability in this forum. Don’t know why it disappeared.

From a quick look, Reverb and eBay don't support selling a $0 item (I'm shocked! ;)). Hopefully, you have an account for one of those. I could post it as Tuning Knob Parts or some such, so you can find it. Say, for $1. I expect it will still get to you faster than you buying it yourself. Before I bought it, I confirmed with their parts dept. that it is a special order item with a lead time of 2 weeks: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/517487-line-6-50-03-0137-alt-tuning-knob-for-variax-standard.

Sorry if I gave the impresson I didn't know your major contributing role. I was trying to convey that the broken-off stop was pretty subtle to see. I have learned a lot from your posts over the last 3 years since I was turned on to Variaxes by a buddy.

Thanks, it looked odd, I almost missed the broken tab myself.

"Sorry if I gave the impression I didn't know your major contributing role. " --- No problem.

Wasn't certain how much you knew about my work here. Not everyone knows. Cheers.

I have a JTV 59 and don't need the knob. I also have a Shuriken (which is a great feeling guitar, BTW) and have no use for the models or the tunings. In another post I am now trying to change out the tunings to be what my 59 has. It would be nice to have both knobs that correspond to the new tunings and models. Are there knobs that would fit on the Shuriken from any of the other variax guitars?

I get how to do custom tuning. I just would like a knob like my 59JTV has that would fit on my Shuriken now that I have all of the 59 models and will soon have all of the 59 tunings on there. I guess my question was simple and I am not sure if you answered it.....If I get a 59 model and tuning knob, will it fit on the shuriken shaft or are they different sizes?