Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve Lcd 8 Black Bars ?

dolt

My spider valve when turned on shows 8 black bars on the lcd display , nothing else works , i cant get no sound at all . I try to change the presets but cant get rid of the 8 black bars . I have only had this amp for maybe 18 months and i have seriously hardly ever used it , i just turned it on the other day and all i now see is 8 black bars . Please help as i am wanting to sell this amp and my podxt live and my epiphone as i just dont use them anymore .

...'nothing else works'

After checking basics such as power outlet, power cable connections, then maybe a factory reset will get the screen working.

*Caution: This will erase any user presets

(http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4540) The factory reset for the Spider Valve series is to hold the "A" button while powering the unit.

• 3 years later...

Hello Sports Fans

Started monitoring posts today. Been a long time Line6 user. I have the 1x12 MKi , MKii, 2x12 MKii, M9 and shortboards FBV MKi and MKii.

The harness cable located on the DSP board near input jack is notorious for coming loose. This loose  harness cable will give rise to the symptoms you are experiencing. Once snugged in I use a strip of masking tape along the seam to hold it in place. More convenient then a dab of super glue, nail polish, of gum.

Bigmose

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody come up with a resolution for this? I have this amp and it's probably the best sounding amp I've owned. Would like to save it if possible. Is it definitely a main board fatal error? If so, what component on the board could cause this failure? I might be able to fix this myself if I know what to look for. 

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some playing around with it, and I've found that the actual power amp on this works absolutely fine, it's just obviously dry with no tonal control or effects, which are part of what made this amp sound so incredible. That said, what do you all think of the idea of buying another spider series amp, gutting the preamp circuit boards from it, then frankensteining the preamp from that into this chassis? I see those come up really cheap used all the time. I've looked into driving it with something like a high end multieffects pedal, but to have something that could replace what was in the amp to start, it would cost about the same as a whole used replacement amp. 

That solution was given to me also...drive it with a separate preamp. Great idea! What bothers me though...in my case, the amp worked perfectly last May...unplugged it and put it away...last week I turned it on and zippo, just the bars on the display! WTF! Never ever had an issue with this amp. Gigged regularly with it until a few years ago so now it gets very little use...so strange!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I was able to fix the "black bars" issue on my 212 Mk1. The problem was that one of the solder joints of the voltage regulators on the DSP/preamp board came loose and it didn't supply the required +5V any more.

If (and only if!) you have the necessary experience to work with the insides of a high voltage device like a tube amp, it's quite simple to diagnose. The preamp board has test points for the various voltages and you can probe them with a multimeter. Once you find that one of these DC voltages is missing, you can find the matching voltage regulator (IIRC there are three, two through-hole and one SMD) and see if the regulator itself is broken (there are reports of them overheating) or if it's only a dead solder joint.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Similar situation the amp wasnt used for 6 months and when it was switched on just the black boxes in the display no lights etc

Power amp is working but preamp and effects all not

So sadly its a big very heavy lump which can't be used if the technician in the thread is correct that its a fatal error and no parts are available 

Have to look for a replacement,this time without all the built in effects etc, so no fancy programming, I'll use a separate effects unit