Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500 Reverb mix question

orkanobi

Hey folks,

I noticed that the mix parameter on the reverb models doesn't work as stated in the manual. 

• Mix: Sets the balance of the dry & wet signals, from 0% (dry signal only) to 100% (wet reverb signal only).

But in fact it works like a send until 99%, and works like a dry/wet at 100%. So in between 0% and 99% the dry signal is always there at the same volume, and the wet signal gets added to this. At 100% the dry signal suddenly gets cut. So for example there is no way of getting 10% dry and 90% wet. Just put a reverb and switch the mix back and forth between 99% and 100% to see it yourself.

The reverb mix on my old POD XT works as it should, the more I turn it on the lesser the dry signal gets, until it drops to zero at 100% wet. Is this a bug or strange feature I can't seem to grasp on the HD 500? Any work around for this?

On 7/31/2022 at 1:00 PM, orkanobi said:

Is this a bug or strange feature I can't seem to grasp on the HD 500? Any work around for this?

What you have described is how the reverb (and probably other effects with the MIX parameter as well) of the POD works and there is no way to change it.

The MIX percentage shown as a parameter actually corresponds only to the volume level of the wet signal, at 50 the wet has the same volume as the dry, at 100 the wet has twice the volume of the dry and the dry is suddenly cut.

The dry has a constant volume from zero up to 99%.

This way of functioning also means that the total volume of a patch changes according to how the MIX parameter is set.

It is certainly not the ideal behavior but it can be easily fixed by ear.

Another possible solution is to take advantage of the 2 paths, one only dry and the other only wet and create the mix as you want via the mixer block.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 8/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, hurghanico said:

Another possible solution is to take advantage of the 2 paths, one only dry and the other only wet and create the mix as you want via the mixer block.

Yes this seems to be the only solution for what I am after. I've been producing music for years and never seen a reverb that operates like this. I'm curious why they made a design decision like that. 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:02 AM, orkanobi said:

I'm curious why they made a design decision like that. 

IMO the reason probably is because it costs less in terms of hardware resources, which they preferred to dedicate to sound quality, the same could be true for example for percentages instead of hertz in almost all available EQs.

The HD hardware is exploited to the maximum, it is already a miracle that it does what it does, the design engineers have been very good at balancing resources, and some compromise on usability was probably necessary in order to maintain the highest possible sound quality.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips