Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How come you can't change volume on some of these downloaded patches?

357mag

I've downloaded many patches from Custom Tone and with some patches I noticed that when I move the channel volume slider or even the master volume slider nothing happens. The volume stays the same.

Why is that and is there a way to fix it?

You can always change "master" volume setting of any preset you have.  Go to the output section in your preset -- every preset has this.  There you can raise the volume / lower the volume and pan the preset left / right.  Also you can for example assign the "master" volume to be controlled by snapshots so the overall volume can be raised / lowered in a specific snapshot.  Follow the regular procedure of assigning the output volume level to the snapshots. 

There's one preset where I boost my overall volume for the solo by raising the overall preset volume in my "SOLO" snapshot.  I also use this overall volume setting to level off my presets AND snapshots within the presets. 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, 357mag said:

I've downloaded many patches from Custom Tone and with some patches I noticed that when I move the channel volume slider or even the master volume slider nothing happens. The volume stays the same.

Why is that and is there a way to fix it?

If you have confirmed that HX Edit is working properly and not the cause of the problem, the symptom could be a result of corrupted patch downloads from Custom Tone. Try downloading them again. The channel volume and master volume sliders should always accomplish a level change.  

Where is the output section in the preset? Are you talking about the amp's master and channel volume? That's what I messed with. I think one preset that I could not change the volume on was one called 90's Morphology.

see this last thing, "Multi".  This is your output "block" that is always part of your preset.  Adjust it. 

165514748_ScreenShot2022-08-01at8_23_42PM.png.029c916a778555478b5c7ea809fbd34c.png

You can have it as "1/4" or "Return 1" or "Multi".  And you can set how loud you want it and pan it left/right.  See below!

In my case I panned it Right 37, and made it 7.9 dB louder. 

1958944067_ScreenShot2022-08-01at8_22_53PM.thumb.png.92e78bb0c7bbf3de18b67516e8af51a2.png

On 8/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, 357mag said:

I don't see anything in your first photograph that says multi. I see an icon of a quarter inch input jack. I click on that to adjust preset volume?

well, look at the 2nd photo. 

The last thing (bottom right) is where you configure where you preset goes, what jacks the signal will come out of, how loud and the panning.  It's self-explanatory.  Just put your cursor on it, and adjust it with the knobs on the Helix or in HX Edit. 

I only play through my headphones. I don't have speakers or amps or anything like that hooked up to my Helix. I get a fantastic sound through my Sennheiser phones. I will try this preset output thing and I will post back if I have problems.

Thank You.

@357mag, it certainly wouldn't hurt to take another look at the Helix User Guide PDF's first few pages to get a better idea of the basics.

Moreover, the 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, 357mag said:

Where is the output section in the preset? Are you talking about the amp's master and channel volume? That's what I messed with. I think one preset that I could not change the volume on was one called 90's Morphology.

As others have pointed out the output of a Preset is the final Block at the far right of the Signal Chain. 

The amp's master and channel volume are parameters of the respective Amp Block. Most all blocks in the preset also have a level parameter. 

As for your preferred use of headphones, they are fed directly via the internal routing from the Helix. None of your posts mentioned which Helix unit you are using.  The Helix Floor and Rack have a dedicated Headphone volume knob.

Hope you get things sorted out. Also good to know that HX Edit is A-OK on your system.

Imho…. The problem may be a mismatch between the preset structure and your physical cabling. For instance, if the downloaded preset (which I note you have not yet pointed us to)  has the following characteristics:

- dual paths, 1A and 1B

- one path contains both the amp block and the FX Loop block (active); and

- there are no physical cables connected to the FX Loop block jacks

then….

you will hear only path 1B at the outputs. The amp controls have no audible effect because the signal leaves the device at the Send jack of the FX Loop and never returns. Elvis has left the building.

As I suggested in the very first response to your post, please give us a link to the Customtone preset. Until we see that all else is speculation. The above example is only one of many structural elements that may explain your issue

• Like 1

But now that I know about clicking on the last block in the signal chain I was able to get it louder plus I should be able to increase the channel and master volume plus if I have to turn up the headphone knob.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, 357mag said:

I did tell you the name of the preset in one of my responses. Here is the link:

https://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=helix&search_term=90's+Morphology

Sorry - I missed that earlier. I have downloaded and examined the preset. Sounds like you've found a way to get the overall volume level you want.

But I'm wondering about the question you originally asked re: no audible response to moving the sliders. Has that been resolved? Based on the preset structure (as well as the Customtone description) I can see a possible explanation. The signal routing for the initial Split A/B block is assigned to EXP2 so that in the toe or heel position only one amp is receiving any signal. If you happen to be moving the sliders for the amp that is receiving no signal then of course you won't hear any audible difference in the tone or volume.

On 8/2/2022 at 1:19 AM, 357mag said:

I think one preset that I could not change the volume on was one called 90's Morphology.

I just download this preset and I can't really see what the issue is, other than mentioned by "silverhead", in the post above.

The preset is split into 2 paths, one clean, and one dirty with the "morph" effect achieved by moving the EXP2 (volume pedal) to mix between the two sounds on path A and B. It would seem that the reparative volume level between the clean and dirty and been balanced to give similar levels of output.

There is some hefty gain reduction in the 2 Parametric EQ blocks, especially the dirty channel with -11dB in the Low and -9.6 in the Mid, although I can't see why you say there is no response from the amp Master control. The Placater Dirty channel volume is 8.2, and the Master at 4.8, so quite a bit left there and when cranked up it gets loud, very loud. The person who posted the preset suggests that the EQ could need some modification as the patch was set up for his MIM Strat  running into a Headspace 112 monitor All of this is in the notes accompanying the preset.

Hope this helps/makes sense.