Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange noise coming out of Helix

Jensked

Hello

There are strange noises coming out of my Helix LT. See the MP3 in attachment.

When I hook up my headphones to the Helix, I only kinda hear it when I crank the Helix.

When I hook up my Yamaha USB-mixer, I hear it very very clearly. My mixer does not make the noise when I disconnect the Helix, so it's clearly coming out of the Helix

Is this interference? Is it caused by my power lines of is it another effect? Crank your headphones, I was only able to record it much quieter than I hear it myself...

It definitely is related to USB and the laptop. When the laptop is not on, there is no strange sound.

USB is connected to both the mixer and the Helix. You actually hear what's going on in the laptop (probably CPU and SSD activity)...it's like the old noise a dial-in modem used to make...i will try to eliminate where it's actually coming from...

On 8/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Jensked said:

It definitely is related to USB and the laptop. When the laptop is not on, there is no strange sound.

Even though the 1 second recording doesn't reveal much, this suggests USB RF or EMI interference/noise. Do you use good quality USB cables and do your USB cables have RF chokes or EMI filter on them?... if not, they should.  The basic solutions for this is to try different USB ports (if possible) and try different USB cables. 

NOTE: Just because a cable has a choke or filter that doesn't guarantee it's a good cable. USB cables come in a variety of quality levels. When working with audio and video gear you need a good quality cable (first), preferably with an RF choke or EMI filter (second). 

Short of that.... connect the Helix to USB only when you need to and live with the noise during that time. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...