Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

With UBS connected, HX Stomp picking up all kinds of PC noise.

RyanRC

Hello all

I picked up my first model device, a HX Stomp, a few weeks ago but have been too busy to play with it yet.

Tonight, I am bringing my guitar over to someone’s house for a little light messing around with playing, so I thought it would be a good thing to bring the HX too as for all it can do.

So even though I very little time even for this, I quickly set it up last night and was getting as acquainted as much as I could for the time I had, and eventually got to the point I wanted to try the things I could do via the USB and so I plugged into the PC, when right from the start I got all kinds of hissing and other crazy noises back through to my amp, and for virtually anything I did on the PC such as I could literally pick up things as faint as even using the mouse to scroll through a web page.

I think I even recall that the Amp would play what ever output sounds the PC would make kinda like the HX was acting like a PC to Amp interface.

So I am not sure if this is normal and am really hoping it’s not as I was very much planning to use HX Edit to work with all the unit can do which would mean keeping it plugged into the PC all the time.

So does anyone have any advice as to how to not have this happen???

To note, I did get to the point I updated the unit to the latest firmware via the Line 6 Updater and was using the latest version of HX Edit & PC drivers from the Line 6 website. I also have changed virtually nothing of the settings and even did the full reset back to factory default a few times. I would also add that all I had plugged in was my guitar to the HX, and that straight to my amp, so nothing else was in the loop.

So overall I am hoping there is some setting on the HX I don’t have set correct, or that it is something else that simple.

Thanks for any help.

Hello chstd

Thanks for the reply.

As far as what ever settings, as mentioned I have had very little time with the unit so I don't know much of how to change things nor did change much, so for now and with this issue everything is just as it would be from a full factory reset such as turning the unit off, then on while holding the 2 & 3 foot switches down.

As mentioned, I just have the guitar plugged into the one mono in, and then the mon out plugged straight to the amp.

An no, it doesn't make a sound when the USB cable is not plugged into the PC.

EMI (electromagnetic interference) is pretty common with external audio interfaces, and can be virtually anything.

In my experience, the worst kind of interference comes from video cards and monitors, so if you have a monitor connected via HDMI cable, that's a good candidate for EMI noise through USB audio. You need to investigate and try different things, like plugging HX Stomp and PC in different wall sockets, or turning off possible EMI emitters, like ACs, video monitors, TVs, etc etc... 

As for the amp playing the PC system sounds, that's normal and expected, as the HX Stomp it is indeed an audio interface, so windows will use it. Depending what you want to do with that USB connection (editing presets? DAW? updating? etc..), you could just disable the HX Stomp to be used for the windows sounds. It's all in the manual anyway. :)

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, PierM said:

EMI (electromagnetic interference) is pretty common with external audio interfaces, and can be virtually anything.

In my experience, the worst kind of interference comes from video cards and monitors, so if you have a monitor connected via HDMI cable, that's a good candidate for EMI noise through USB audio. You need to investigate and try different things, like plugging HX Stomp and PC in different wall sockets, or turning off possible EMI emitters, like ACs, video monitors, TVs, etc etc... 

Thanks for the reply PierM, 

All in all while I am sure some of what I was hearing was EMI, it for sure was not all of it as a lot of the sounds coincided with things I was doing on the PC or that would happen on the PC, so to me the issue was that the HX was somehow picking up those sounds and sending them to my amp.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, PierM said:

As for the amp playing the PC system sounds, that's normal and expected, as the HX Stomp it is indeed an audio interface, so windows will use it. Depending what you want to do with that USB connection (editing presets? DAW? updating? etc..), you could just disable the HX Stomp to be used for the windows sounds. It's all in the manual anyway. :)

More or less I think this is what is going on as I did not know that the HX unit and or at least from just being plugged into my PC would just automatically do this.

For the most part I just thought the USB line was for updates and programing interactions and things like you mentioned, or if was a sound transfer it would be more of a one way thing. I guess I would say too that I am surprised my windows system would just natively set it up to send it sounds.

Kinda if I had to explain I would think it would be like plugging in a Mike into a PA system and hearing from the Mike everything someone said in to the PA's speakers, as you just wouldn't expect that to be something that could happen.

Anyway, as I am at work I can't check this much further, but in now learning it will do this at least natively, are there any settings on the HX Stomp that can make it "not" function as a audio interface if plugged into a PC, or is it just fixed that way?

Thanks

On 8/6/2022 at 4:35 PM, RyanRC said:

Anyway, as I am at work I can't check this much further, but in now learning it will do this at least natively, are there any settings on the HX Stomp that can make it "not" function as a audio interface if plugged into a PC, or is it just fixed that way?

Just click on the speaker icon, on the bottom/right side of your windows system. There you directly set what audio interface you want to use for windows sounds. For example, if your PC has the typical "Realtek" internal audio, you can set this as default for speakers, and it should stay that way. 

How to Switch Sound Output Between Headphones and Speakers on Windows 10

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2022 at 1:14 PM, RyanRC said:

I wanted to try the things I could do via the USB and so I plugged into the PC, when right from the start I got all kinds of hissing and other crazy noises back through to my amp, and for virtually anything I did on the PC such as I could literally pick up things as faint as even using the mouse to scroll through a web page.

I have had the same issue with the Stomp when doing multitrack recordings with the following setup:

• MacBook Pro 2008, running a DAW (Logic)
  • Alesis iO26 Firewire interface, paired with (aka MacOS Aggregate Device):
  • M-Audio FW410 Firewire interface, paired with:
  • HX Stomp via USB, with main out to:
  • tube guitar amp

That was with two different bands in two different locations.

In one case, the guitarist wanted his Marshall amp sound, while I thought we could mix it with the Stomp USB input to give it other colors via Helix Native. Since we had this constant buzz on his amp while the Stomp was connected via USB, in the end we did it without the Stomp, recording just his Marshall amp with a mic. 

The other case was a recording session with one of my bands, me playing guitar and using my Fender Blues DeLuxe as a monitor; the actual recorded guitar track was from the Stomp via USB, later reamped with Helix Native. The buzz was only on the guitar amp, not on the recorded tracks from the Stomp. Since we didn't use any mics for the recordings anyway, I decided to "live" with the buzz because we were short on time to sort it out.

A few months later we did another recording session with the same band, but this time I changed two things in my recording setup:

• I used my other – slightly newer – MacBook Pro 2012 for the recording (with the same old two Firewire interfaces)
  • I used a simple small powered PA speaker as my guitar monitor, not the tube guitar amp

No buzz whatsoever.

So, my temporary conclusion was so far that in this constellation, a tube guitar amp was the culprit. But it all still needs more testing.

Hello all

First to say, thanks for all the replies

So I spent some more time on this and via the sound settings in my PC I was able to stop the HX Stomp from being a reverse audio interface for the "dedicated PC" sounds by doing just as described of going into my Windows sound settings and disabling the HX Stomp as a device.

But I'm sorry to say this really did not stop the other odd sounds such as even scrolling with my center mouse wheel through this very thread I will get a distinct buzz sound as the page goes up and down.

Something else I just noticed today is even just plugging the USB with the HX off it will pass these sounds along.

To note, yes I am using a HiWatt 100W Replica tube amp & 2x12 Cab from HiTone, but would add I have never had this noise in using anything else.

I also would add that the power going to this amp is run through both a Furman power conditioner and separate power regulator, so its pretty well filtered and conditioned.

If I had to take a guess and in the simplest terms, the issue is how this unit is also a audio interface which honestly I really didn't know it did when I bought it as I was just looking to add some more effects sounds to what I could play.

For this and I will admit I don't know much about a Audio Interface, but again and am making this simple, I am kinda surprised it works both ways as why would you even want to play things through it back to your amp as is that how they all work?

At any rate, I am guessing that as these sounds pass through the unit even with it off, its not going to be a settings thing in the unit, or at least if it is I can't find it.

So does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

OK, interesting bit of development.

I tried plugging the HX into my laptop and with out the charger connected it made zero noise.

When I plugged the charger in it made the same noises and in the same way, but much much less.

So I guess the issue is in part with my power being supplied, although I really wish there was a way to to not have this unit be a audio interface as I don't need it to be and or at least not all the time and with no way to stop that.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas for either issue.

Thanks

On 8/7/2022 at 6:47 PM, RyanRC said:

But I'm sorry to say this really did not stop the other odd sounds such as even scrolling with my center mouse wheel through this very thread I will get a distinct buzz sound as the page goes up and down.

OK, interesting bit of development.

I tried plugging the HX into my laptop and with out the charger connected it made zero noise.

When I plugged the charger in it made the same noises and in the same way, but much much less.

So I guess the issue is in part with my power being supplied, although I really wish there was a way to to not have this unit be a audio interface as I don't need it to be and or at least not all the time and with no way to stop that.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas for either issue.

Thanks

That noise you hear is not "moving" as an audio signal, from your laptop to the HX Stomp, so the fact you stopped windows from using the HX Stomp as audio interface won't fix the issue. This action will only prevent the HX Stomp to be used as audio interface for Windows system sounds, and default audio speakers.

One of the problems with these devices, is their ADACs are also grounded with USB, and if those converters aren't able to reject the noise (bad isolation by design, crappy cable, ground loops, strong EMIs etc etc), you get that noise generated at ADAC level. Without going too technical, your HX Stomp converters are also grounded with your laptop via USB cable, and ADACs in the HX Stomp are generating the noise. It's not noise generated by the PC, and then sent as audio, trough the USB.

The fact you don't get that noise when not using the charger, is probably because you opened the ground loop. Are your laptop charger and your HX Stomp, sharing the same wall socket? Is your wall socket properly grounded? Is that socket also powering amps, video monitors, and other stuff? You need to investigate all these things and see if you can find a setup which reduce the problem at acceptable levels.

You could also try a cheap USB isolator, that sometimes may even completely solve the problem (sometimes won't)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply PierM.

Yeah, the more I looking into this the more I am thinking towards the issue being some kind of grounding loop as I would even mention that right here is a pretty close example of what is happening for me: 

I guess the thing to do is try one of these and see what happens, only issue is the one in that vid is so old I don't think they make that exact model anymore.

As far as the house wiring I certainly do have all manor of things not only plugged into several outlets in this area, but then also broken off into many power strips as well.

Its all done safely, but its all done as I need the things that are plugged into them so even if I were to find the source (of which I am sure its a combo of many of them), I'm not going to get rid of them just so I can use the HX without this noise.

Again, given how many people are buying this unit for the main things it does and especially for the Stomp version which means most are going to plug it into a PC to work with it, I am kinda surprised they made it a "fixed" audio interrace as well, but as such should have at least given it an option to disable that in the settings, and or perhaps put in one of these cheap isolators.

I will keep people posted as to how this goes.

Thanks

On 8/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, RyanRC said:

Again, given how many people are buying this unit for the main things it does and especially for the Stomp version which means most are going to plug it into a PC to work with it, I am kinda surprised they made it a "fixed" audio interrace as well, but as such should have at least given it an option to disable that in the settings, and or perhaps put in one of these cheap isolators.

Hi,

Let’s face it - anyone with a HX product is more than likely going to plug it into a computer, not just for the editing and librarian functions, but also for the firmware updates. Surprisingly, most don’t suffer from the issue that you currently have.

I’m also intrigued by your comment - “fixed audio interface”? Yeah, it’s in the hardware, but you don’t have to use it. Many people use the HX built in USB audio interface, while others may choose to take the audio out to some other AI device (Focusrite, Universal Audio, etc.), and have no problem with hum. Usually these instances of “ground loop hum” a can be traced back to bad wiring, and/or dirty domestic power supply.

You actually mention, As far as the house wiring I certainly do have all manor of things not only plugged into several outlets in this area, but then also broken off into many power strips as well.”. From that information I would expect some type of interference if your power supply isn’t clean. Oh, yeah - fluorescent lights can be a total nightmare, along with dimmer switches, freezers etc.

You may need to try one of these.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender-plus/

Hope this helps makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Hello datacammando

Just to answer, I used the term fixed as to mean that if you are going leave the USB plugged into a PC all the time say for some other reasons such as you mentioend, there is no way to "not" have the HX acting as a Audio Interface.

Such as I would even mention if it was not caught in the previous posts, I get these noises even when the HX is off.

So situation is, you plug the USB into a PC for any reason and the device is permanently acting as a Audio Interface and with no way to stop that at least as far as being wired is concerned.

For the rest, thanks for the link as that is exactly the unit I was thinking of getting.

That company makes others and some that are more costly that are supposed to filter out more artifacts, but then there seems to be some possibility they don't fix the ground loop issue as much as that one does, so seeing as I doubt I would ever use the HX as a Audio Interface I don't think I need to care about those.

Think at the worst I could possibly use them both if I even needed that though.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, RyanRC said:

Hello datacammando

Just to answer, I used the term fixed as to mean that if you are going leave the USB plugged into a PC all the time say for some other reasons such as you mentioend, there is no way to "not" have the HX acting as a Audio Interface.

Such as I would even mention if it was not caught in the previous posts, I get these noises even when the HX is off.

So situation is, you plug the USB into a PC for any reason and the device is permanently acting as a Audio Interface and with no way to stop that at least as far as being wired is concerned.

For the rest, thanks for the link as that is exactly the unit I was thinking of getting.

That company makes others and some that are more costly that are supposed to filter out more artifacts, but then there seems to be some possibility they don't fix the ground loop issue as much as that one does, so seeing as I doubt I would ever use the HX as a Audio Interface I don't think I need to care about those.

Think at the worst I could possibly use them both if I even needed that though.

Hi, again,

Just to clarify what you're saying - if you have your HX stomp, hooked up to your computer to use HX Edit, for example, then you encounter all this audio interference, humming, hissing etc. Correct? And now, because of this, you seem to have a downer on ever being able to use the HX Stomp with your computer, simply as a consequence of the spurious audio noise.

Hmm, well that's a strange way to look at it, especially when you consider how many units of this type that Line 6 have sold, and how many people are quite happy to use the hardware in exactly the way it has been designed to work. It strikes me as very odd that interwebs are not alive with people complaining that these boxes cause audio interference and are thus making them totally unusable. These products are sold as being "fit for purpose" - and they work just fine. The issue with Ground loops, is that your HX Stomp may not be the cause, but has simply brought the issue to the fore. See linked video below - this guy doesn't even have a HX Stomp, his problem is with his mixer.

I bought my Helix floor back in November 2015, and it has been in almost daily use ever since. It is constantly connected to my Mac via USB, along with these "always on" items:- approx 15TB of external hard drive storage, a 500GB SSD, a DVD Writer, an Arturia KeyLab 61 MIDI keyboard, a Behringer XTouch Universal MIDI Controller, a Laser printer and a Canon Pixma Pro 100S photo printer. Have I ever experienced crackles, pops, buzzes, clicks. fizzing or any type of audio interference? No, never, not once. Why? Because, I have clean mains power and filtered distribution on the supply with no ground loops. Yes, the Helix is being used as my main audio interface (previously used Focusrite Saffire on FireWire for many years), but I can switch the Mac to use it's internal processor and playback through the iMac built in speakers, while still being able to use HX Edit over USB - again with no detriment to any audio signals.

I seriously recommend that you invest in a USB Ground Loop Isolator, and failing that have a qualified electrician check you domestic wiring.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Thanks 1

Doesn't matter what ADAC is suffering the interference, doesn't tell anything about the quality of such ADAC or device which is using it.

As I explained above, electromagnetic interferences (and/or ground loop noises) are NOT being carried as an audio signal from PC to HX, not sure why you keep mixing the audio interface thing with the noise aspect. It's like water spilling into a piece of paper, which is not making paper and water the same element.

The carrier is the USB cable as a electric wire (not audio signal), and the fact there is grounding being shared. Again and again, the noise you are hearing IS NOT BEING sent as audio signal.

You can potentially get that same noise in any device being used in that same environment.

You can get terrible ground loops and EMIs even with 40K$ broadcast level audio equipment.

• Upvote 1

Hello and thanks for the responses.

Just want to say I'm not trying to get anyone's nose in a joint.

For me I used to post to all kinds of boards years ago, but found that people can often take things on them too personally if someone casts even a slight shadow on their beloved thing so I stopped doing things like that. So hope it can be understood I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here but am just bringing up what pertains to me, which if no one thinks that should matter as I am just one person I understand your feelings, but its still not wrong for me to mention something or perhaps discuss a situation to try to look for help or that could let the makers know of a issue they could possibly think about in the future to make improvements to it, or possibly help someone, somewhere, someplace else down the line as that really is what these forms are supposed to be for.

Guess would just lastly mention and would use the reference style since it has been used that while sure it might be great for a lot of people if a particular Ferrari came with a running full time wetbar somewhere in the car...that for one I don't think most people are buying it for the wetbar, but then two on top of that if the wetbar is doing something negative to the car that even if it only happens for a select few, that it does suck for those few to come to find out that there's no way to shut the wetbar off to stop it from doing that thing as the only real way to do that is to shut off the car.

Anyway, hope that better describes my point.

To note, I just did order a iFi Defender and so am now spending another $60.00 for what I hope is a solution to this.

Thanks

On 8/9/2022 at 12:26 AM, RyanRC said:

Guess would just lastly mention and would use the reference style since it has been used that while sure it might be great for a lot of people if a particular Ferrari came with a running full time wetbar somewhere in the car...that for one I don't think most people are buying it for the wetbar, but then two on top of that if the wetbar is doing something negative to the car that even if it only happens for a select few, that it does suck for those few to come to find out that there's no way to shut the wetbar off to stop it from doing that thing as the only real way to do that is to shut off the car.

It's totally fine to discuss, no worries about that.

Remember any audio interface, as soon as isn't called by a driver, it's just an expensive dead brick...which means is doing nothing as audio interface. ADACs arent being called, ports aren't being called, there is not "wetbar" doing anything, at all. Think of a lamp bulb, and the switch on the wall. You don't want the light, you switch it off. The audio interface driver, is doing that. As soon as it is installed, it will call for the audio interface ONLY when required through its driver; by windows system, by a DAW, by an audio app etc. But if no driver is being called by anything, the audio interface is just virtually off. The USB cable it is NOT an audio cable, it does just send and receive data + V and G. You see, if the driver isn't being called/used, as in your case, no digital audio is being sent or received. What you are asking is already there. Would be a waste of money, and a useless function from a design/engineering POV, adding a onboard function to shut off the HX/Helix audio interface. It's really like adding a switch to a light bulb. :)

Then, if you want to use an hammer, you could disable the HX audio driver in the device manager. No Driver running, No Audio Interface. But sorry, even if you do this, you are not solving the noise issue.

Hope you see the point here. :)

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, RyanRC said:

Just to answer, I used the term fixed as to mean that if you are going leave the USB plugged into a PC all the time say for some other reasons such as you mentioned, there is no way to "not" have the HX acting as a Audio Interface.

Although it is not related to the EMI interference...  I need to point out that this is simply not true. 

I use a dedicated audio interface and even though I have an "option" to use my Helix as an interface, my setup never uses it as one. When I connect my Helix via USB for editing my dedicated audio interface keeps chugging along as it always did. The Helix does not take over. 

By default a PC will automatically choose a device to use... and that can get frustrating. But if you dig into the audio settings on your PC you can change this behavior easily. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:26 PM, RyanRC said:

For me I used to post to all kinds of boards years ago, but found that people can often take things on them too personally if someone casts even a slight shadow on their beloved thing so I stopped doing things like that. So hope it can be understood I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here but am just bringing up what pertains to me, which if no one thinks that should matter as I am just one person I understand your feelings, but its still not wrong for me to mention something or perhaps discuss a situation to try to look for help or that could let the makers know of a issue they could possibly think about in the future to make improvements to it, or possibly help someone, somewhere, someplace else down the line as that really is what these forms are supposed to be for.

Hi,

I don't know how, or why, it is that you seem to think you’ve upset us, or how we’ve offended you in some way. As always, people in here have simply been trying to assist you with the ground loop issue that you appear to have discovered when you connected your new HX Stomp to the rest of your gear.

You seem to have misunderstood what we have been saying about the all kinds of hissing and other crazy noises - it is nothing to do with the audio interface part of your HX Stomp. It’s more likely electro-magnetic interference, and that could be due to myriad other reasons. In fact you have already proved this for yourself when you state: “I tried plugging the HX into my laptop and with out the charger connected it made zero noise.  Then:- When I plugged the charger in it made the same noises and in the same way, but much much less. So I guess the issue is in part with my power being supplied…” That alone should demonstrate that the HX Stomp was not working as an audio interface in that situation.

In your original post, you said that you intended to visit someones house and take your guitar and the HX. Did you do thatand did you also experience that same issues there?

Have you tried to use the HX Stomp without connecting it to the computer - simply using your amp? If so, do you still have the noise problem?

My guess it's an issue with your computer. Check back when you have tried the USB filter.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: Don't drink and drive!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I would give an update as to how things are going with this issue as I finally got the time today to try the iFi iDefender+ and iSilencer+ units on my system and will report that while the iDefender+ unit definitely had an effect and especially when separately powered, it did not 100% solve the problem.

Before going into more and just to get this out of the way the iSilencer+ did absolutely nothing and either alone or combined with the iDefender+.

So as mentioned above, prior in no matter what config I had the HX or PC in, if the HX via its UBS was plugged in to my PC, I was getting all kinds of odd noises back to my amp and ones that would often be altered by say using my mouse on a web page. Then with the iDefender+ plugged in the major low-level hum mostly went away, but then while quieter I instead got this bit of a whiny mid to high pitch noise, but then also this completely persistent whiny going in an out noise almost like some very turned down alarm clock that was going off, which oddly I did not have without the iDefender+ plugged in.

One interesting thing is that at least when the iDefender+ was plugged in, if I turned off the HX unit it went dead silent, which it wouldn’t do without it.

I would add that I then tried it on my plugged into my laptop and while like before the original issue was much less, oddly the  iDefender+ seemed to have no effect at all like it did on the PC as even with it I could hear odd noises when using the laptop provided the power for it was plugged in.

Lastly I would add that I tried unplugging everything from my PC including the power supply feed plug and while somethings would have a slight effect, I still had issues, so blame my houses wiring if you want, but if its having an issue when plugged into something that’s plugged into nothing else is, then it’s not the thing that thing is plugged into.

I would also say I tried powering the HX with a Truetone CS12 Isolated power supply and tried that and the HX supply in all kinds of power outlets in the room including the one past all my power conditioners and that the amp is plugged into and nothing changed anything.

So at the end of the day while I could use the iDefender its not going to 100% solve my issue and really just more or less alters the sound…so in the end I just want say how disappointed I am in this unit as all for the sake of one probably rarely used or needed feature, to use it for what it was primarily made for I have to put up with this issue.

I would lastly add that for any who want to bash me on this and especially if they want to say it does not happened to them, just do a search for USB ground loop on Google and youTube you will find a lot of people who in using one form or another of a USB to PC Audio Interface, by their description or vids are have the exact same issues as I am having...so it’s not just me….is simply is as the HX unit is built to be connected as a full time connected Audio Interface. Or is built so by whatever name you want to call it, it still is something that is connecting my PC full time back to my amp and with no way to shut that off and still use the PC with it so you can use HX edit.

So the bottom line is, if this unit had just simply been designed so there was a way to use it without that connection being made all the time, this would not be a problem.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, RyanRC said:

So the bottom line is, if this unit had just simply been designed so there was a way to use it without that connection being made all the time, this would not be a problem.

Hi, again,

Just to clarify - Nobody is wanting, or trying to “bash” you on this, but saying the HX Stomp was designed incorrectly is just basically wrong - unless you can prove that, it’s just your opinion. You state that many people have similar experiences with the possible “ground loop” issue. Yet that doesn’t account for the very many happy users of the various Helix products, who don’t experience this problem, and yes - will say that it doesn’t happen to them. That’s just the way it is!

You have tried various solutions to the “all kinds of hissing and other crazy noises back through to my amp”, without any acceptable result. Once again, you have only posted results that you have encountered while “testing” options in your own environment. Did you ever take the HX Stomp to your friends house, or in fact anywhere else, to check if the same problem still happens?

Quote:

picked up my first model device, a HX Stomp, a few weeks ago but have been too busy to play with it yet.”

FYI: The unit is under warranty, and if it does not perform as expected, and is genuinely faulty, simply return it for a replacement. It maybe one rogue unit - it does happen!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Not sure what your goal is datacommando, but the noise issue I am having and the fact there is nothing I have found so far that I can do about it is not an opinion, it’s a fact.

If it wasn’t I wouldn’t be wasting my time coming here looking for help with it.

Also if you need more "proof" of that just go to Google here: HX Stomp USB ground loop noise

As from there at least at the time of this writing will you not only find multiple reports of the same issue and on a HX Stomp, but the top three are actually grouped responses from (1) this Line 6 support site, (2) Reddit, and (3) the Gearpage and all with many many reports of the same issue.

Lastly, and this is rhetorical, but are you trying to deny that if unit was just simply built with a way to use the USB for HX edit, but just like many other turn off features the unit has, have one that disconnect its audio connection “back to the amp”, that this would not solve the problem? And not just for me but for all the other people who use this unit in the same way I and many others are and have the same problem?

As in the end, that is all I am saying is the way it should be made.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, RyanRC said:

Not sure what your goal is datacommando

I’m not sure what you are trying to infer with that comment, but right from the start my only objective was trying to assist you with this issue, as previously stated in earlier replies.

I do not work for Line 6, I’m just a long time user of their products, along with many others in here. I do not require proof of others with USB ground loop problems, but checking through those posts it seems that many have found solutions to the issue. Without checking the entire wiring system in your home, nobody can possibly pin down exactly what is causing this in your case.

Furthermore, looking at some of your replies, you seem to be very defensive, as if you are not being helped, but been attacked by the replies posted from users. Example: “Just want to say I'm not trying to get anyone's nose in a joint”, and “people can often take things on them too personally if someone casts even a slight shadow on their beloved thing”. In this particular instance, I think that it is you who seems to be taking things too personally.

I have previously suggested that you take your Stomp to your friends house, to see if the problem persists, or return it to the store you bought it from and have it replaced if there is a genuine fault.

If you don’t want to help yourself, then there is nothing more that I can do.

Happy trails.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:57 AM, RyanRC said:

As in the end, that is all I am saying is the way it should be made.

You seems acting a bit denial now.

We explained to you that EMIs and Ground Loops aren't something you can control and design into a device, especially that small.

EMIs especially, are an ENVIRONMENT factor, that it has variables that aren't depending from the HX Stomp alone, or whatever audio interface or pedal you are using. It's a cross contamination between emitters of electromagnetism in a closed or small environment. Please don't let us going into details about the inductive, radiative, conductive and capacitive coupling loops. It's pointless for you, it's boring and wont solve your issues.

These are things that happens all the time, no matter the brand or the product. Just google randomly "kemper ground loop noise", or "Fractal ground loop noise", or "AxeFX insane noise from PC". You'll find dozens of similar experiences, in any sound/audio compartment.

You still have to find your way. Keep trying, moving your PC in a different location, raising the distance between stomp and PC, changing angles between your guitar and PC, in relation with monitors, or in relationship with the stomp. Try different sockets and guitar cables... Try different shoes. I mean, it's like that man. EMIs are a lollipop to break down. 

I know sounds annoying when other users tell you they don't have anything like you are having, but yeah... you need to deal with it. It just means isn't about HX Stomp, but about the environment and all the electrical elements inside and outside it. That's it. :)

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:57 AM, RyanRC said:

And not just for me but for all the other people who use this unit in the same way I and many others are and have the same problem?

One final throw of the dice: 

Someone recently posted this fix in a two year old thread - check it out!

Done!

• 2 months later...

There is a solution for this, but depending on the quality of your gear it can affect the sound quality slightly.

Get a DI box with a ground lift, and go from the Stomp out to the DI box, then to the mixer/speakers. Problem solved.

I have had to use this with external USB audio interfaces getting processor whine. It works, but a high quality DI box is best- otherwise you will suffer a very slight degradation of sound quality.

• Like 1