Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use the two cable method with a combo amp?

daveaphotopod

I believe I already know the answer, but....

...I've seen videos on YouTube that have been very helpful. But they usually show a head and cab. I have a Fender Champion 100. It does have a "pre out" option. Should I stop overthinking this and realize it functions the same? And, as if I have seen in one video....just disable the cab IR, because I am playing through an actual....er, cab? 

Basically what I am asking is if a combo amp should be treated any different than a head/cab setup, in regards to the pod go. 

2 cable method? Do you mean 4 cable method? If so, its exactly the same with head and cab or combo.  The common requirement is that your amp must have an fx loop. 

If your amp has a parallel fx loop rather than a series FX loop (you'll have an fx loop mix knob if it does) the design can vary and not all will give you 100% mix.  This could impact on the results you'll hear when using 4 cable, or even just using your amp as a power amp only by plugging an MFX like Pod Go into the fx return. 

If your amp has no fx loop your options are limited to just plugging your MFX into your amps input, or having an fx loop installed. 

I think the Champion has some kind of a FX loop:

Pre Out: sends the Champion‘s preamp singal to an external device tob e processed.

PWR In: sends a received external signal into the amp’s power amp stage

If I am right you have 2 options:

Sending the Champions preamp singal into the PodGo via Pre Out.

PodGo adds pre effects like wah, compressor, distortion.

In this case you have to deactivate the PodGo’s amp. + cabs.

Because you already use the Champions preamp section and cab.

Now the PodGo sends the processed preamp signal back to your Champion via Pwr In.

The Champion makes it loud with the power amp section. This is called the 4 Cable method.

Replacing your Champion’s preamp by the PodGo.

In this case PodGo makes the sound and your Champion will only make it loud.

I don’t know your amp but you could try connecting the PodGo’s Output to the PWR In slot.

If this works PodGo will be the preamp (sound) and your Champion 100 will be the power amp (makes it loud).

This might be what you mean with the 2 cable method.

Hope this works.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, olerabbit said:

I think the Champion has some kind of a FX loop:

Pre Out: sends the Champion‘s preamp singal to an external device tob e processed.

PWR In: sends a received external signal into the amp’s power amp stage

If I am right you have 2 options:

Sending the Champions preamp singal into the PodGo via Pre Out.

PodGo adds pre effects like wah, compressor, distortion.

In this case you have to deactivate the PodGo’s amp. + cabs.

Because you already use the Champions preamp section and cab.

Now the PodGo sends the processed preamp signal back to your Champion via Pwr In.

The Champion makes it loud with the power amp section. This is called the 4 Cable method.

Replacing your Champion’s preamp by the PodGo.

In this case PodGo makes the sound and your Champion will only make it loud.

I don’t know your amp but you could try connecting the PodGo’s Output to the PWR In slot.

If this works PodGo will be the preamp (sound) and your Champion 100 will be the power amp (makes it loud).

This might be what you mean with the 2 cable method.

Hope this works.

Sorry for the confusion! I was referring to a setup like I saw in this video. Where it bypasses the preamp section, but uses the power amp section (I hope I typed that out correctly). Which I guess leads up to my next question:

I am aware that his technique will not allow for any ability to use the front of the amp, which would be ok with me, but how does this affect the effects? As you mentioned, some should come before, and after the pre amp. Do I just have to make sure the "correct" effects are before/after "send/return Fx loop" entry in the effects chain? (screenshot of a different video for reference below, and link to the video I mentioned) 

image.png.0ced4c066fa22fca3a5d72ca6a3886bf.png

I've had two rigs over 40 years. One of them being my modeler that runs straight to the mixer.

The other being a combo amp and fx. 

I ran that thing in a straight line. No fx loop. It took patience trying figure out what sounded better before this and after that. I even had 2 of some things so I could put it before and after something else. 

And no one ever accused me of having bad tone. 

So, while everyone raves about 4cm and the correct ways to do things... 

You can absolutely run these things into the front of your amp.  

There is no right or wrong. There is only - do what you gotta do to hear what you wanna hear. 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:58 AM, dmandradepod said:

Sorry for the confusion! I was referring to a setup like I saw in this video. Where it bypasses the preamp section, but uses the power amp section (I hope I typed that out correctly). Which I guess leads up to my next question:

I am aware that his technique will not allow for any ability to use the front of the amp, which would be ok with me, but how does this affect the effects? As you mentioned, some should come before, and after the pre amp. Do I just have to make sure the "correct" effects are before/after "send/return Fx loop" entry in the effects chain? (screenshot of a different video for reference below, and link to the video I mentioned) 

Assuming I am reading this correctly.... 

If you are using your combo solely as a volume machine (bypassing everything, using only the power section).... 

You needn't worry about using any thing related to the fx loop on the L6. 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, pianoguyy said:

You needn't worry about using any thing related to the fx loop on the L6. 

But the same rule applies, just virtually instead of physically. 

So, when you are setting up patches, you would want to have distortion before the (virtual) amp. You would want your echoes coming after your (virtual) amp. 

No fx loop required.