Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax randomly stopped working and won’t turn on

liamjmicallef

So I recently got a Variax limited and have been using it for a few weeks now, today I go to plug it in and there’s nothing. So I check the battery and found that it wasn’t charged so I charged it, I come back and try it and still nothing. The magnetics work but the modelling doesn’t, I tried with a battery and 1/4 cable, I tried with a battery and a variax cable, and without a battery and a variax cable, still none of the modelling works, and the magnetics don’t work through the variax cable like usual, basically everything variax has stopped working. I’ve never had this happen and the instrument is still new, I don’t remember anything weird happening, as far as I remember I played it last night just fine with the modelling. What can I do to try and fix this and what can I do to try and diagnose the problem?

thanks so much in advance!

to note: workbench hd is also not recognising the guitar.

It might not be a normal self repair situation but there are no line6 service technicians in the country I live in so I’d like to first just try and figure out what the issue is. Where might be a good place for me to start? I do have experience and understanding in certain aspects of electrical engineering.

I am aware of your registered location. First register the guitar in you account, then log a Support ticket.

It could be battery, the charger, main board, jack plate, encoder switch or something else. It will need to

be properly troubleshooted by an authorized service tech.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem & I own & operate a guitar & amp repair business. liamjmicallef, I am still trying to find the time to finish troubleshooting the problem (my business is growing at an alarming rate) but so far it seems to be faulty switching via the 1/4" output jack. As most of us know leaving the cable pugged in drains the battery like an acoustic guitar or effect pedal, why because when inserted the 1/4" male plug completes the circuit & switches the electronics on. To troubleshoot or see if I am correct, If you can, try a few different cables, carefully inserting them a few times each to see if you are able to turn the modeling on after plugging in (as I did). If you are able to get the modeling to come on by doing so then it's time to replace the jack assembly. Good luck finding the part number for the Variax standard jack assembly. Oddly enough the same part is available online for the Variax JTV-69, JTV-89 & the JTV-59.

Maybe if we ask nicely psarkissian will help us with any information at all, as to where the Variax Standard jack assembly part # and/or where it can be purchased?

or will he just offer the usual generic reply with instructions on how to get to that oh too familiar, cold n dark, dead end street we end up where solutions are never found?

If it's under warranty follow his instructions. If out of warranty, psarkissianI have less than 4 hours use on my Variax standard & have babied it from day 1 - this is obviously a factory defect in my professional opinion & if a loyal line6 customer is willing to pay out of pocket to purchase a replacement part, the correct part number & where to purchase it is not asking a lot don't you agree?

Full Compass sells Variax parts, including present generation jack plates. Some items may be out stock

at this time. But there is product in the pipeline.

There are minor differences in the fit, as the curve of the plates will be different to conform to the

curve of the different bodies.

The cable harness and chassis ground wire are different lengths for each model as well.

Part# 50-04-0126 jack plate assembly.

• 3 months later...

Psarkissian,  Thank you for explaining the differences in the cable harness and ground wire and of course for the part number to the jack assembly. The online parts suppliers sometimes show only some of the models a particular part is compatible with. And let's face it who wants to roll the dice unsure what they are ordering will work or not at the price they are charging. 

Psarkissian,  Thank you for explaining the differences in the cable harness and ground wire and of course for the part number to the jack assembly. The online parts suppliers sometimes show only some of the models a particular part is compatible with. And let's face it who wants to roll the dice unsure what they are ordering will work or not at the price they are charging. 

Now to figure out a way to increase the variax standard's 1/4" output that's lower than a non-variax magnetic pickup guitar without modifying the PCB, voiding the warranty or draining too much power from the battery. But I guess that's an entirely different forum thread all together Lol.