Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use an IR on HX Stomp

ovidionasone

Hi, as a new user I'm thankful for the tones that people make available in CustomTone. I just came across one that I really like, and the author suggests adding an IR to it, I guess to customize it? Would appreciate any advice on what it means when someone suggests adding and IR to the tone, and if there's a methodology to it on selecting one. Thank you

An IR (Impulse Response) is a type of Cab Sim. You would replace the CAB Block with an Impulse Response Block.

People who post on Customtone (and know what they're doing) will use a stock cab sim even if they designed the tone with an IR because there's millions of IRs out there and they've no way of knowing if you have the one they used on your computer. If not, when you load the Preset you'll get an "IR Not Found" error.

To replace the Stock Cab with an IR, first obtain the recommended IR or load an IR into the HXS IR list from your collection that you think might sound good.

Then replace the CAB Block with an IMPULSE RESPONSE Block and select your IR. You get a choice of 1024 or 2048. 2048 is marginally better but uses more DSP. If the 2048 option is dimmed it means you don't have enough DSP available, use the 1024 setting.

Note that the 1024/2048 option is an internal Helix thing, they're not two separate IRs.

Note also that if you've no idea what I'm talking about you REALLY need to RTM ;-) .

On 8/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, rd2rk said:

An IR (Impulse Response) is a type of Cab Sim. You would replace the CAB Block with an Impulse Response Block.

People who post on Customtone (and know what they're doing) will use a stock cab sim even if they designed the tone with an IR because there's millions of IRs out there and they've no way of knowing if you have the one they used on your computer. If not, when you load the Preset you'll get an "IR Not Found" error.

To replace the Stock Cab with an IR, first obtain the recommended IR or load an IR into the HXS IR list from your collection that you think might sound good.

Then replace the CAB Block with an IMPULSE RESPONSE Block and select your IR. You get a choice of 1024 or 2048. 2048 is marginally better but uses more DSP. If the 2048 option is dimmed it means you don't have enough DSP available, use the 1024 setting.

Note that the 1024/2048 option is an internal Helix thing, they're not two separate IRs.

Note also that if you've no idea what I'm talking about you REALLY need to RTM ;-) .

ok, i just did similar question for native so, i need to turn off the CAB only, right? on the sound chain, what would it be better to keep? a pre amp or an amp? this is assuming i will use and IR. And i also assume that the time based effects must be placed after thr IR, right?

The problem for me is, i am using Gig performer 4, so my plan was to set an  external "IR loader" for other plugins i.e. Accoustic sim and MIDI guitar, hence using only this loader, but the time based effects will come before the IR and hence the audio result qill not be the one desired. Probably i need a second instance of Native, or remove the IR loader only for native

What do you think?

Screen Shot 08-16-22 at 09.19 PM 001.JPG

On 8/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, josehdx said:

ok, i just did similar question for native so, i need to turn off the CAB only, right? on the sound chain, what would it be better to keep? a pre amp or an amp? this is assuming i will use and IR. And i also assume that the time based effects must be placed after thr IR, right?

The problem for me is, i am using Gig performer 4, so my plan was to set an  external "IR loader" for other plugins i.e. Accoustic sim and MIDI guitar, hence using only this loader, but the time based effects will come before the IR and hence the audio result qill not be the one desired. Probably i need a second instance of Native, or remove the IR loader only for native

What do you think?

Screen Shot 08-16-22 at 09.19 PM 001.JPG

I read what you wrote and I think I know the answer. Then I see your mess of bubble points in the image and I get nervous. 

Still, taking a stab . . . generally speaking (and I mean like, 99% of the time) you use an amp before a simulated cab, not the pre-amp model. 

However, you also mentioned an IR for an "acoustic sim" which . . . I mean then you almost certainly don't want an amp at all. 

Plus, yes, time based effects USUALLY after the amp and 49 times out of 50 that's what I see, but not always. People have done cool stuff other ways. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, Kilrahi said:

I read what you wrote and I think I know the answer. Then I see your mess of bubble points in the image and I get nervous. 

Still, taking a stab . . . generally speaking (and I mean like, 99% of the time) you use an amp before a simulated cab, not the pre-amp model. 

However, you also mentioned an IR for an "acoustic sim" which . . . I mean then you almost certainly don't want an amp at all. 

Plus, yes, time based effects USUALLY after the amp and 49 times out of 50 that's what I see, but not always. People have done cool stuff other ways. 

Thanks for the explanation. For he acoustint section, i am not using the Native VST neither for amplifiying or for its acoustic simulator. I am using anothe rone from Blue cat audio which i guess it works as the one in native. Still i have placed the external IR loader after this Blue cat VST to get a better sound

Regarding Helix Native chain, I will do some test, so probably i will avoid using the eternal IR loader when i use Native, i will keep it active for the other plugins.

Regarding my screenshot, you really need to see the mess that other users make :D