Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why do my synth sounds sound awful?

daveaphotopod

A couple questions, I suppose. I see users on YouTube playing with different synth effects and they can play full chords. Is this not possible with the POD GO? or do I have a setting screwy somewhere? 

When I do, it gets all "confused" and makes these odd robotic sounds. No matter where they are in the chain. (I keep it near the beginning as I understand that is where they "should" go. Also, I am just listening through headphones at the moment, if that matters.

Now, I am aware that it may have something to do with my attack, or maybe it's just the nature of the digital effect as opposed to a dedicated pedal. But I feel as if I am doing something wrong. A little embarrassed as I have been playing for 28 years, and have come across many pedals in my time. But the string theory and Synth String as useless to me in the way that I have them set up at the moment. 

Counter response: DO any synth sounds sound realistic (i.e. not robotic) I mean . . . do they REALLY?

Still - you're not wrong that a lot of youtube videos can be found with better sounding synth models than the Pod Go. This is because this is one area where the Helix line, and consequently the Pod Go line . . . hasn't really "dug in" to shine, so to speak. 

A lot of the impressive synth sounds out there use "polyphonic" synth models. This allows you to play chords with synthesized effects. To my knowledge, all Pod Go models are monophonic, meaning single string usage at best. 

If you try to play full chords it's just gonna futz it up. 

On 8/16/2022 at 6:21 PM, Kilrahi said:

Counter response: DO any synth sounds sound "realistic?" I mean . . . do they REALLY?

Still - you're not wrong that a lot of youtube videos can be found with better sounding synth models than the Pod Go. This is because this is one area where the Helix line, and consequently the Pod Go line . . . hasn't really "dug in" to shine, so to speak. 

A lot of the impressive synth sounds out there use "polyphonic" synth models. This allows you to play chords with synthesized effects. To my knowledge, all Pod Go models are monophonic, meaning single string usage at best. 

If you try to play full chords it's just gonna futz it up. 

Thank you. That's the conclusion I am coming to. Appreciate your reply. Honest, and to the point. I did see another video of the line 6 FM4, and the synth string sounds pretty much the same, so this seems to be something that is better handled for those polyphonic pedals you mentioned, like those from ElectroHarmonix.

• Like 1