Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tip - More Touch Sensitivity for Leads Going into an Amp

craiganderton

I thought some of you might find this helpful...boosting EQ around 3 kHz will make an overdriven amp more responsive to leads. The screenshot below shows four identical riffs. The first is played starting on low E, the second an octave above, another octave above that (i.e., starting on the open first string), and finally, the octave starting on the first string, twelfth fret. The lower image shows the same file, but processed with a major boost around 3 kHz. The level of the lowest frequency’s riff is essentially unaffected, the second one is boosted somewhat, but the two higher riffs have considerably more level. This makes for a more even, sustained sound with solos played on the higher frets.

image.png.07879977f98d6171df6946ef46caab3c.png

If you want more info, I wrote this up originally about Guitar Rig for a Native Instruments blog post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

The linked post shows the settings - it's cranked up to +20, but the ideal value for your setup depends on the input level going into the EQ, and the input level/drive setting on your amp. I don't hit inputs all that hard, I need the extra gain.

Unfortunately, there's no "one-size-fits all" setting...which come to think of it, pretty much applies to anything involving amp sims :)