Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buying Used?

Be very wary when buying a second hand Variax, I purchased a 300 re-flashed it as I could hear the original strings after sending some alternate tunings to it, which in effect broke all the in built sounds, I paid 179 for the guitar, the repair cost me 143 as the guitar needed a new motherboard, I ordered an original digial Variax cable from GAK which came today and I was so looking forward to playing with it properly and now the D string is distorted and muffled so it looks like the guitar will need to go back again, I am not very happy and could have put the money towards a new JTV so be very careful and make sure you check the guitar thoroughly before you buy.

Be very wary when buying a second hand Variax, I purchased a 300 re-flashed it as I could hear the original strings after sending some alternate tunings to it, which in effect broke all the in built sounds, I paid 179 for the guitar, the repair cost me 143 as the guitar needed a new motherboard, I ordered an original digial Variax cable from GAK which came today and I was so looking forward to playing with it properly and now the D string is distorted and muffled so it looks like the guitar will need to go back again, I am not very happy and could have put the money towards a new JTV so be very careful and make sure you check the guitar thoroughly before you buy.

If it's crap when he gets it he should be able to return it under false advertising on ebay if he shops carefully.

I frankly would not pay much for a used Variax - especially a 300.  Once off warrantee you are looking at a big repair bill if it craps out on you.  I would have recommended that you go for a new JTV rather than a used 300.

JTV costs insanely compared to a Variax. If one craps out on you you could just buy another 300 for less.

Hey don't get me wrong, I don't wanna burst your bubble, when this 300 worked it grew on me straight away, I've had a Spider Jam for a long time & have always wanted a Variax and the opportunity finally arose and I was not dissapointed with the modeling, the 12 string is awesome and to be able to change tunings at the flick of a switch is mind blowing, you can play whole tunes by yourself, as an example I made a patch that dropped the high and low E strings down to D then Virtually capoed the 2nd Fret giving me the tuning for the chain, I had a bass sound on the next switch and a Les Paul on the next, lots of fun, and with the ability to change the guitar setting with a stomp as well as the actual tone using my X3, which the Variax lead me to buy, So yes your Xt will power the 300 and with the digital Cable you will also be able to change the sounds, from having this 300 for such a short time I will definitely be buying a JTV. So go for it and good luck to ya ;)

Just to add, my 300 is now fixed yes, thanks to the help and support of the Line 6 techs I recieved and sucessfully installed a new piezo and boom, back in the game.

Edited by ScaleViz

I recently bought a 300 on ebay and love it!  I ordered workbench and should see it get here today and I'm wondering.. is it possible to make a patch with the tone of nylon strings on an acoustic with the 300 and workbench?

Do you mean the workbench interface? Workbench is free.

Also, no it's not possible to get a nylon string sound. There is one on the Acoustic 700 but I think people said that it's not very convincing.

It's a lot harder to model different string than different guitars, because most of the guitars being modeled uses steel electric strings so it's fine.

Thanks. It makes sense really you cant make a nylon sound out of steel I suppose. And yes I bought an interface which came with a CD (already had the download) Niether of my pod devices, floorpod plus and pod xt  support workbench so I needed the interface to get going with workbench. I see myself spending alot of time this weekend playing with this new toy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Nylon is way too different than steel strings. All the guitars the Variax models is either steel strings or steel-based strings so it is easy to replicate. Nylon vs Steel has way too many variables to take into account. It's like trying to make a car horn sound like a tornado siren.

Either way, have fun with workbench! It really makes the Variax 1000 times better than it already is.