Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patches For Dream Rig

aeugle

Hi Thomas,

If you search Custom Tone for 'DT25' in the HD500 section, you will find a few patches set up for this combination, that might help to get you started. The majority of HD500 patches are for Studio Direct and won't work well with the DT25.

The dream rig is a very flexible combination, but it does take time to get comfortable with all the options. You'll probably get a better response if you are a bit more specific about the sound you are trying to achieve, your current configuration and the problems you are having.

Regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

thanks for your answer.

I´m looking for AC/DC sounds, Airbourne sounds, Dire Straits, ZZ Top ...

My configuration is JTV 89, HD 500, DT25 head with the line 6 cabinet.

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Are you connecting your HD500 to the DT25 with the L6 Link? And your JTV with the VDI cable?

This is how I set up a new dream rig patch ...

1. Select the guitar model you want to use on the JTV.

2. Start with a clean patch and firstly set the mixer to 50% on each channel. This really improves the tone, as the DT25 is a mono amp. I also usually mute channel B as this reduces the volume of the pre-amp into the DT25 power amp section, which lets you turn the master up and drive the valves harder, especially if you are in a small venue or at home.

3. Select a pre version of your favourite amp model - probably a Marshall or the Soldano for the sort of sounds your looking for. Just go through the pre amp models until you find one that's closest to the tone you are looking for. The 'full' amp models aren't designed to work with the DTxx amps. 

4. Set the patch volume to about 50% and the DT master to between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock. If it's too loud for the room you are in, reduce the patch volume, or the channel volume in the mixer, rather than the DT master, so you drive the valves. Once the overall volume is about right, then adjust the gain, and EQ until it sounds right.

5. Obviously the tone will change depending on the guitar model, so set the HD to control the Variax model once you are happy with the tone. (I always do this, so I don't forget which model I used to set up the patch).

6. Once you are happy with all this, then add effects, one at a time, paying attention to the effect on levels. Then check the different combinations of effects work well together.

Give that go, and if you are still having trouble getting a good sound, let me know. 

Hope that helps,

Greg

PS I do all my patch editing on the HD500 and DT now. I used to only use the HD Edit program (which is great), but that doesn't help if you need to tweak things quickly in a live setting, so I recommend getting familiar with the HD500 interface.

Hi Greg,

thanks a lot for your advice.

Yes  I´m connecting your HD500 to the DT25 with the L6 Link and my JTV with the VDI cable.

Just one question.

I thought that driving the tubes is only dependent from the level of power.

What is the (physical) difference between reducing the DT master volume  and the patch volume?

I thought the only way to drive tubes at low level ist to put a power attenuator between the amp and the cab.

Waiting for your replay 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The DT master volume regulates the power passed through (drive) the tubes, i.e. the power used to amplify the (digital) pre-amp.

The HD500 patch volume is purely a digital volume control, and is not designed to affect the drive / tone of the pre-amp (likewise the mixer level). However, when the HD500 is used with a DT amp, if the patch level is set too low, it will affect the tone, because the power amp needs a reasonable input level to start with. I generally find that anything over about 30% works fine.

Some people advocate / have reported very good results using a power attenuator to reduce the volume. If using the DT on its own, that's a much better option than Low Volume Mode, IMO.

However, when combined with the HD500, I have found I can get a very good tone at a reasonably low volume level by various settings, such as selecting one of the quieter DT topologies, adjusting the patch volume, gain, mixer volume and adding a drive effect if needed. Muting channel B also really helps. I always keep the DT master over 50% though.

... or just play loud! :-)

Regards

Greg

I have a few patches uploaded for dual tones (tube amp/acoustic switched with the volume pedal) for my JTV69/POD HD500/DT25 in the CustomTone section. Look under hobbes40 and see the most recent few patches. You can use them to see a cool alternative method of structuring patches. I designed them after watching Sean Halley's great video tutorials.

Hope this helps!

When dialing up dream rig tones, one thing that never gets mentioned is the Variax pick up settings. It took me a while to realize that I can tweak my Pod using HD Edit while also connected to the Workbench. It is vey helpful at addressing clipping issues and dialing in the perfect tone.

Also, since I'm giving free unsolicited advice.....

When dealing with levels:

At rehearsal with the band, I will use channel B to set a volume that sounds good with the band. I keep the master volume set @ 12 o'clock. Once it sounds well blended with the band, that is my base volume value. I can then go home and adjust the modeled stuff which will be on channel A. Now you can literally A/B your volumes! Tweek channel A until the volumes are the same. Just turn on/off the amp model. Even if you are at home and can't blast your way through this process, just turn the master volume down. You can easily set it back to 12 o'clock for rehearsal. Just remember that when you add fx to the signal chain, you will effect your tone and volume. But then you can tweak the fx as opposed to messing with the volumes because you know already know the volume value.

The dream rig is incredibly versatile. We are lucky to have as much control as we have. But if you don't deal with the basics first, your tone will suffer.

Lastly, I have found it very helpful to assign the amp gain controls to the tone knob on the Variax. Pair with a channel volume pedal where the min value is set to 20% and the max @ 50% works really well. That volume set up makes the pedal sweep more manageable. When I want more bite I can roll up the gain on the Variax!

• 2 months later...

2. Start with a clean patch and firstly set the mixer to 50% on each channel. This really improves the tone, as the DT25 is a mono amp. I also usually mute channel B as this reduces the volume of the pre-amp into the DT25 power amp section, which lets you turn the master up and drive the valves harder, especially if you are in a small venue or at home.

Not sure what you mean on this  - are you talking pans or volumes? the mixer volume is not percentage, just + or - from zero. Also, how does one mute channel B? I want to follow your advice exactly, but am stuck on the semantics of this recomendation. Thanks for your advice.

Set the pan on both A and B channels to centre, i.e. zero (that's what I meant by 50% - but it was a bad way of expressing it :-)

To mute channel B, turn the channel B volume level down as far as it will go, until it says mute.

Hope that helps

• 8 months later...

Yep I want a dedicated forum too, that's the least we can ask after all thoses purchase

We are coming upon the 1 year anniversary of this post. And yet it seems that the customtone section has gotten worse.

Some have a calling to save the whales, some champion the cause of GMO's in our food. As for me here's what I want, what I really really want...

A Dream Rig Specific Customtone that will allow you to:

Download HD AND Variax settings in one shot

Conduct advance searches (I only want PHD amps or I only want DT patches or L-Series)

Partial keyword searches

These three are the minimum standard. I can think of a bunch of other nice to haves. But since a year has come and passed, and if our request for a Dream Rig Customtone is going to go unaddressed, I would rather have only 3 suggestions be ignored than my list of 20!

• Upvote 2

I totally agree.

And a big thank you to those taking the time to describe their patches and settings in the comments section.

I love the advanced search idea.  Selecting a DT series or FRFR setup, you should be able to download a patch that will "just work".

I totally agree.

And a big thank you to those taking the time to describe their patches and settings in the comments section.

I love the advanced search idea. Selecting a DT series or FRFR setup, you should be able to download a patch that will "just work".

Man! Preach it brother! How's bout this...Doing a Texas Blues gig on a concrete slab? Download a complete Strat rig that has a bit more low end. Got a jazz gig on a hollow wood stage? Download a complete jazz rig with the low end rolled off. You just can't get enough of that Divided By 13 amp? How about having six custom Divided By 13 setups that are perfectly paired with the six Variax models that you love the most? Or I want to hear only Triode DT 50 class A PHDs paired with T-Models that have a wide range humbucker in the neck position?

What! The search came up with no results?!?!? Sounds like a challenge that I'm certain one of our brave line 6ers will gladly undertake.

The possibilities are endless!