Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange Noises coming out of my old Variax 700

'm having trouble with my old Variax 700. There's a grumbling, crackle, squeal type noise underneath the output of the guitar sound. This is severely exacerbated when it's put through a heavily soaked distortion. Any ideas on what this might be? All help gratefully received! :0)

Intermittent ground point allowing digital data or clock to ride on the audio. Gunk getting between the piezo and saddle,

resulting in intermittent signal ground, as the saddle serves as the signal ground for the piezos. Tuning and/or intonation

needs to be more spot on.

Have it checked out by a Line 6 authorized service center.

• Like 1

Hi Soundog,

I've nailed it down to the A/B foot switch (XPS A/B) as the guitar works perfectly well on batteries. I don't know why I didn't try that at first (doh!) I have a back up PSU and the noise occurs with both of them, so it's definitely the foot switch. I Googled for a replacement, and crikey, they're as rare as rocking horse lollipop, no current viable hits at all. Ah well, at least I can play the old girl on battery power, it's a relief she's OK. My regular guitar fixer is looking for a replacement board for the foot switch, I'm not holding my breath, but you never know.

Many thanks to you and psarkissian for your help, it's great to know you're out there in cyberworld with words of advice and wisdom. :0)

Damn, I don't know why we didn't think to try that!

I've had lots of problems with the XPS A/B and Mini A/B. Usually its a bad MOSFET. Another time I had one with a bad capacitor. At least its a cheap and easy fix ($1 part), but I think Line 6 did a bad job designing those power supplies.

Hey no probs soundog and psarkissian, you probably subconsciously assumed I'd already tried it. I'll pass the info on to my local guitar guy and see what he says. As ever, many thanks. 

PS Wow, I didn't realise how censorious this forum was! :0) The replaced sh*t with lollipop LOL! Maybe it's my tainted old mind, but 'rocking horse lollipop' does NOT sound good, in fact to me, it sounds worse. Never mind, I'll keep it uber-clean in future, for all those minors with James Tylers, Helixes and old Varaxes.