Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound via USB (solved)

AgingOrange

I really tried to search, but I got non-related results, and using "usb" and "no sound" I got nothing.

I've been using my Helix LT with stage speakers without problems. Now, I want to hear the sound through the monitors connected to my Mac, but I haven't been succesful.

I have a MacBook Air M1 (with the SoundSource app) connected to a Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen, and my monitors are connected to the Focusrite. The Helix LT is connected to the laptop via USB. I've installed HX Edit and I'm able to see the Helix with it and control it. But, no sound through the monitors from the Helix. I do hear the mic connected to the same Focusrite, though.

I've tried several things, like setting the input on the laptop to Helix, but still no sound. If I plugin a headset directly to the Helix I do hear sound.

How can I get the sound playing through my monitors connected to my laptop while the laptop is also playing music? I've done it before, but that was years ago. As far as I remember that worked first try, so I'm not sure what has changed.

In my case, my Helix is connected to the monitors via 1/4" outs.  The USB cable is connected to the laptop.  Music can be played on the computer, and you will hear it through the Helix, coming out of the monitors.  On your Mac, once you connect the Helix with the USB, you can select audio input/output and Helix will be available.  So basically Helix becomes an external sound card for the Mac. 

I also have my monitors connected to the computer.  Then I have a switch where I can select the input source for the monitors.  I have a very simple a/b box with variable volume control for that.  Basically I can combine the Helix sound with what's coming out of the commuter with this little a/b box/mixer.  But this way, I don't even need to bother with the USB cable, and can mix the 2 signals however I want. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, AgingOrange said:

How can I get the sound playing through my monitors connected to my laptop while the laptop is also playing music?

Hi,

I have my Helix hooked up to my iMac running Logic via USB. My monitors are connected to the Helix on XLR. I can record, re-amp, jam along to YouTube, iTunes or whatever, with no issues.

I used the Mac Audio/MIDI utility to set up originally, and if I need to I can create an ‘aggregate device’ to use another audio interface to expand the options available.

You need to configure your SoundSource app to use both the Helix and your Focusrite as audio interfaces for audio in and out.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

One thing I forgot to say is that the Scarlett uses a mic input and a stereo line in, so I'm guessing I'll have to keep it like it is as I can't plug that into the LT.

Making an aggregate device was easy enough, but when using that as Input in SoundSource, I still can't hear the Helix.

Setting SoundSource's input to device to Helix Audio and keeping output to Scarlett, I also can't hear the Helix, so maybe an engineer changed something that doesn't make it work at home? I'm not that technical with regards to audio so when the sound guys say something needs to change I always let them.

When using the aggregate device as input and output, the output is distorted, no matter how low I set the sliders in SoundSource. I've set the sample rate to 48KHz because of the Helix. Setting the clock to whichever or both doesn't help. Oh, and still no ouput from the Helix.

So, I quit the SoundSource app, then, using the built-in Audio Devices only, I set output to Scarlett and YT still outputs to the monitors connected to the Scarlett. Setting the Input to Helix Audio also doesn't make me hear the Helix.

Yes, sorry, I suck at this.

EDIT: Another reason I want to keep the monitors connected to the Scarlett is that I don't always want to unpack the Helix when I come home.

EDIT2: I don't use a DAW.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, AgingOrange said:

One thing I forgot to say is that the Scarlett uses a mic input and a stereo line in, so I'm guessing I'll have to keep it like it is as I can't plug that into the LT.

Hi,

O.K. - Quick solution. You’re not using a DAW, this should work.

Take the left and right 1/4” outputs from your Helix LT into the 2 jack inputs on your Scarlett as the way to get the audio into your MacBook Air. You said that the Mac can communicate with the LT over USB to use HX Edit for librarian, editing and updates.

I have recently bought a MacBook Air M1 for my wife, but haven’t really investigated how the sound system works. I have just booted it up and checked and the Audio-MIDI Utility is still included in the OS. I don’t understand why you are using a third party utility (SoundSource) to handle the audio? It may be more trouble than it is worth. You should be able to set your MB Air to receive stereo audio from your Helix LT on USB 1&2 and send the audio back out through your Scarlett to your monitors by simply configuring the settings in the Mac Audio-MIDI Utility.

EDIT:

On 8/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, AgingOrange said:

so maybe an engineer changed something that doesn't make it work at home?

I just spotted this comment - if you cannot hear your Helix LT audio output over the USB, ensure that the final output is set to “Multi”

See the Helix LT 3.0 Owner’s Manual for full details about various output configuration and Audio over USB.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f18374611d5dffd3a45/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Edited by datacommando
Added link
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:32 AM, datacommando said:

Take the left and right 1/4” outputs from your Helix LT into the 2 jack inputs on your Scarlett as the way to get the audio into your MacBook Air. You said that the Mac can communicate with the LT over USB to use HX Edit for librarian, editing and updates.

Finally!

This works perfectly, thanks! The only thing is, I have only one front input left, so no stereo (you get addicted to it so quickly, although I don't think the audience notices), but this is easily solved by buying an interface with more inputs.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I guess because it's digital, my brain wanted to do it the digital way with USB. Shoot me now …

I don’t understand why you are using a third party utility (SoundSource) to handle the audio? It may be more trouble than it is worth.

Because Apple still doesn't have a way to set the volume of applications! In my day-to-day, I'm a developer, and having notifications blasting through your monitors louder than the music is jarring. SoundSource allows me to do, I've only found this out a couple of years ago, what Linux and Windows users have been able to do forever.

You should be able to set your MB Air to receive stereo audio from your Helix LT on USB 1&2 and send the audio back out through your Scarlett to your monitors by simply configuring the settings in the Mac Audio-MIDI Utility.

I haven't even touched this, your first solution works like a charm.

Yeah, I get patching with cables, I just don't get the USB things. My friends laugh about this because I write software for a living. To me, the things just aren't related. Case in point, the Helix is *still* the only machine with an interface made for humans at the front, and for more technical people behind menus further down. That's why I bought it and took the time to learn it.

I just spotted this comment - if you cannot hear your Helix LT audio output over the USB, ensure that the final output is set to “Multi”

I've checked this just in case, and it was set to Multi.

Again, thank you. Thanks for sticking with me through the walls of text. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to figure this out on my own.

• AgingOrange changed the title to No sound via USB (solved)
On 8/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, AgingOrange said:

Finally!

This works perfectly, thanks! The only thing is, I have only one front input left, so no stereo (you get addicted to it so quickly, although I don't think the audience notices), but this is easily solved by buying an interface with more inputs.

Hi,

Glad to know that you can finally now hear your Helix LT at home, although I don’t think it should be necessary to buy another audio interface. Check the user manual for your Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, it has extra inputs on the rear panel. In fact there is a picture on page 11 which shows a setting for using 2 vocal mics and a stereo synth simultaneously. Use your HX LT in the same way - glorious stereo.

Link:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.com/customer/prod/downloads/Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen User Guide v1.1 English - EN.pdf

I would also recommend that you investigate further all the possibilities of using the USB audio out from your Helix. It is an 8 channel USB audio interface. I have used my Helix floor almost everyday as my main interface for 7 years without any issues. I can hear the playback from Logic, YouTube, iTunes etc. through my Tannoy monitors, and the Mac system beeps and pings through the built in speakers on my iMac. Explore the Audio MIDI setup some more.

Also you didn’t mention how you are connecting the Helix USB to your MB Air. I had to buy an extra device to hook up any peripheral devices, USB, HDMI etc., as there are only two Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports available.

Anyhow, it’s good to know that you are “up and running”

Tot ziens.

On 8/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, datacommando said:

Glad to know that you can finally now hear your Helix LT at home, although I don’t think it should be necessary to buy another audio interface. Check the user manual for your Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, it has extra inputs on the rear panel. In fact there is a picture on page 11 which shows a setting for using 2 vocal mics and a stereo synth simultaneously. Use your HX LT in the same way - glorious stereo.

In the beginning of the second message I said, although badly worded, that I'm using one mic input and a stereo set (which is in the back). The 6i6 means 2 in the front, 2 in the back and … I don't know, 1 SPDIF in and a MIDI in? So I'm out of inputs. The only free one is one at the front. 

I would also recommend that you investigate further all the possibilities of using the USB audio out from your Helix. It is an 8 channel USB audio interface.

My Helix isn't always unpacked.

Also you didn’t mention how you are connecting the Helix USB to your MB Air. I had to buy an extra device to hook up any peripheral devices, USB, HDMI etc., as there are only two Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports available.

Yeah, one of those splitter box thingies. I don't mind them, though, I only ever connect one cable to the M1 and everything is connected. I like it better than having to put all the separate cables in.

Tot ziens.

Ooooh, does this mean you provide on premise support?

• Like 1