Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording two tracks at the same time

357mag

The X3 audio driver provides multiple options for recording into your DAW over the USB connection. See Chapter 8 in the manual. Create a preset that uses Tone 1 for the processing and Tone 2 for the dry (empty) track. The arm 2 tracks for recording in your DAW and assign the Input Sources to Tone 1 and Tone 2 respectively.

Any time you record a track in any DAW you need to specify the ‘Input Source’. This refers to the origin, or source, of the signal you want to record based on the physical inputs connected to the audio device (soundcard) your DAW is using for its audio input and output. In some cases you would specify that you want to record the external microphone connected to the soundcard’s Mic input, or a microphone built into the computer. In another case you may want to record an external sound device, e.g. an electronic piano, using the L, R, or both Line inputs connecting the piano to the soundcard. Or, if the soundcard has an input where you have a guitar connected you may want to record that.

With an audio interface such as the POD X3 connected to your computer/DAW via USB there are several options. The manual Chapter 8 describes the options that you will be presented with for selection in your DAW. One of the options specifies that you want to record the X3’s Tone 1; another specifies Tone 2.

On page 8 -3 of the manual it says to connect your headphones directly to your POD X3 to hear your computer generated audio, as well as the POD X3's real time processing. 

What is computer generated audio? When you plug the headphones into the jack in the POD, you hear your guitar going through the preset that you made. One thing.

It goes on to say the Monitor Level Adjustment Slider in the control panel lets you turn down the volume of the X3 versus your computer generated sound.

Are they talking about a slider in Windows Control Panel? I don't know anything about this.

What I have done to set the recording input level is adjust the Tone Volume on the X3. 

Maybe they are referring to that panel called Line6 - Audio Midi Devices. Okay I found that. There are two tabs, one called Driver and the other called Inputs & Recording. Do I need to do anything with this panel or information?

On 8/25/2022 at 12:22 AM, 357mag said:

…

What is computer generated audio? …

That refers to any audio playing separately on your computer, e.g. iTunes, Spotify, or backing tracks. When your X3 is connected to your computer via USB the X3 becomes your computer’s soundcard, meaning the audio generated by your computer is sent to the X3 for playback. The slider (Yes, in the Line 6 Audio Midi devices control panel item) allows you to balance the level of the computer generated audio and your X3-processed guitar as you jam along to backing tracks.

Use the Inputs and Recording tab to select the USB channels 1 through 8 option (all 8 channels may already be selected by default), which permits your DAW a to see all 8 Input Source options available in the X3 ASIO driver. As the manual describes, in your DAW tracks you select channels 3/4 for the ‘wet’ (processed) Tone 1 in one track and channel 7 for the associated dry signal in the other track. There’s actually no need to use Tone 2 for the dry signal as I suggested earlier. I had forgotten that the X3 driver provides it directly.