Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help needed and appreciated.

On my jtv 69s, after changing gauge from original 10s to 9s, I lost completely the intonation of the E string (the 09 mm)

I lower the action as much as possible, and  extend the piezo as much as possible. 

The E string sounds on the 12th fret 1 tone down (flat)

Help needed and appreciated.

On my jtv 69s, after changing gauge from original 10s to 9s, I lost completely the intonation of the E string (the 09 mm)

I lower the action as much as possible, and  extend the piezo as much as possible. 

The E string sounds on the 12th fret 1 tone down (flat)

If only you had taken it to an authorized service center... ;)

It's odd that it's off by an entire 1/2 step, and that's gonna be a pretty big saddle adjustment, but it should be fixable. If I understand you correctly, the fretted E at the 12th fret is flat compared to the 12th fret harmonic? That being the case, the vibrating length of the string needs to be shortened, so you would adjust the saddle by moving it towards the nut. Do it incrementally, and check the fretted note against the harmonic after each adjustment until he tones match.

• Upvote 2

That does not make sense.  Yes you should have to move the piezo saddle but you should not have to move it that much going from 10's to 9's.

Well, there's also the trem springs. You do lose some tension going from 10s to 9s, so the claws for the springs may need to be loosened a bit, too.

• Upvote 2

If only you had taken it to an authorized service center... ;)

It's odd that it's off by an entire 1/2 step, and that's gonna be a pretty big saddle adjustment, but it should be fixable. If I understand you correctly, the fretted E at the 12th fret is flat compared to the 12th fret harmonic? That being the case, the vibrating length of the string needs to be shortened, so you would adjust the saddle by moving it towards the nut. Do it incrementally, and check the fretted note against the harmonic after each adjustment until he tones match.

I already did that, and it is one tone down...Before it was one and half... Unfortunately the authorized service center closed at my city, and the next is about 120 kilometers away... BTW, you understand correctly, and thanks for the help.

That does not make sense.  Yes you should have to move the piezo saddle but you should not have to move it that much going from 10's to 9's.

I totally agree

Well, there's also the trem springs. You do lose some tension going from 10s to 9s, so the claws for the springs may need to be loosened a bit, too.

Thanks phil_m I will give it a shot.

Also make sure that your E string is the correct one.  If you somehow got a B string it would be way off.  There is no way you should have to make a half step adjustment when changing from 10's to 9's.  I would have expected only a couple turns of the adjustment screw at most.

Also make sure that your E string is the correct one.  If you somehow got a B string it would be way off.  There is no way you should have to make a half step adjustment when changing from 10's to 9's.  I would have expected only a couple turns of the adjustment screw at most.

Sure about it, thanks anyway :)