Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume output

OmegaSlayer

I was wondering what you guys think yelds the best results sound wise.

Do you prefer to crank the PodGo volume up and turn down the volume of the amp/pa, or do you prefer the opposite, turning PodGo volume up and amp/pa down?

Unfortunately I can never crank up the volume high enough to perceive well the difference, but what I hear is enough to say that there's quite the difference and that PodGo volume down kills stuff like reverb and delay much more than turning the pa volume down (I use an Headrush 108).

We have a Headrush 112 at our church that I play my Pod Go thru. Haven't experimented a lot with this but I do have to adjust volumes on the fly, depending on the song and how loud our choir sings. :-)

Note that you actually have at least three volume sources you need to deal with;

• Pod Go internal volume/level settings.  These could be in the various amp/cab blocks, effects blocks, expression pedal and global settings. 
  • Pod Go external volume knob.
  • Whatever amp/pa you're playing thru.

This is my sequence to set up volume levels so far. (I say that because I continue to experiment.)  The goal is to get an overall output level of around -18db to -12db when playing with normal guitar strums using a DAW.

• For my setup at home, I run the Pod Go output (Amp Out and Main Out are set the same) thru an audio interface into my PC. Using Reaper DAW, I have a track setup to where I can view the db levels easily and put it on record; however, I never record anything.
  • On my Pod Go, the volume knob is set to a little above the 9 o'clock position.  I then adjust the audio interface gain to get no more than about -54db floor noise, as viewed on the Reaper track. (This is without playing anything.)
  • While using Pod Go Edit, I will strum the guitar while making various level adjustments within the preset blocks until I get the desired -18 to -12db levels in the DAW.  (I use snapshots a lot and this is very helpful in normalizing the volume levels between snapshots.)

So far this method is working for me to where I can take the Pod Go to church, maybe to a little tweaking between the volume knob and expression pedal and be good to go.  Note that the expression pedal, if used as volume control will effect these settings so keep it constant throughout the preset/snapshot adjustment phases.

Hope this helps! 

• Upvote 1

I have mainly brought every patch to the same volume, by ear, not with a DAW (but I think I'll have to resort to that), and every patch is well above +5 db.

PodGo knob is between 9 and 11 o'clock and the Headrush is at 2 I think.

Honestly I feel like I did everything wrong...will have to take a day and set up everything again with a DAW

You may be in the ball park.  I can't recall at the moment where our HeadRush is set but I typically adjust the Pod Go volume knob at church to what you're experiencing; 10 to 11 o'clock. One other thing I noticed is volume (or effects quality) can depend on the type of pickup in the guitar.  I play a 73' Gibson SG Standard with humbuckers and seem to get the best quality with the pickup(s) set at max.

I'm interested in knowing what you discover.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:23 PM, cain29671 said:

You may be in the ball park.  I can't recall at the moment where our HeadRush is set but I typically adjust the Pod Go volume knob at church to what you're experiencing; 10 to 11 o'clock. One other thing I noticed is volume (or effects quality) can depend on the type of pickup in the guitar.  I play a 73' Gibson SG Standard with humbuckers and seem to get the best quality with the pickup(s) set at max.

I'm interested in knowing what you discover.

Unfortunately you will have to wait quite a good bit.

Going through all my presets is painstakingly long and I must find the actual time to do it