Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest drivers suddenly incompatible with Windows 11

jesperbc

On 9/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, jesperbc said:

looked for newer drivers, but don't seem to be able to find any.

Hi,

I think that you should have named this thread - “Windows 11 suddenly incompatible with latest Line 6 drivers”.

This has been brought to folks attention previously in this thread here:

This on a par with the Mac fraternity blaming Line 6 for issues brought about by Apple making changes to their OS.

People require time to catch up with spurious updates. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/why-do-incompatible-drivers-prevent-using-memory-integrity-0b7ae567-74de-ee03-1030-9e6fe0d6f4b6

Edited by datacommando
Added link
  • Upvote 2

On 9/3/2022 at 4:26 PM, shawndeveau said:

Line6 writes garbage software. I have a tonne of music-related drivers on my computer - only the Line6 ones fail.

And yet, I have over 300gb of music-related programs, plug-ins and drivers on both of my computers and none (including the Line6 ones) have ever failed in over 10 years of full-time daily use in either my studio or live system.  I wonder what the difference could be?  Oh yeah..you install and maintain the software on your computer,  and I do the same on mine!!!

On 9/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, datacommando said:

I think that you should have named this thread - “Windows 11 suddenly incompatible with latest Line 6 drivers”.

Honestly, I didn't make this post to debate what came first, the chicken or the egg...

On 9/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, datacommando said:

This on a par with the Mac fraternity blaming Line 6 for issues brought about by Apple making changes to their OS.

People require time to catch up with spurious updates. 

From what we usually see in the computer realm, companies releasing hardware expected to work with Windows, will have to put in the work to update their drivers, so their hardware works with the latest update to the user's operating system. This isn't that. This is just a OS notification telling me, that my drivers are insecure following the latest update to Windows 11.

I'm not complaining that my HX Stomp isn't working - it still works just fine with Windows 11 and HX Edit, and neither am I complaining that Line 6 hasn't updated their drivers. I simply asked if newer drivers were available, hoping that someone from Line 6 would reply and tell me that new drivers are "in the pipeline expected to drop soon"... 

• Like 2

Always give priority to the workstation goal before the windows update.

Common rule for DAWs or graphics workstations is to hold system updates, unless it's really necessary.

Never let Windows to just auto update overnight.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, jesperbc said:

hoping that someone from Line 6 would reply and tell me that new drivers are "in the pipeline expected to drop soon"... 

That’s some big hope!

We are all simple Helix/HX product users in here.

There are no Line staff here, and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums!”

If you really need to attract the attention of someone who actually works for Line 6, then your best option is over in the Digital and Modelling Group area on TGP, or the Helix Family group on Facebook.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/digital-modeling-gear.53/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/428105950706417

Oh, yeah - You will need to get used to the idea that you will only ever find out about when something “drops” after it has happened.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 2

I've tried deleting this driver via this:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/defender-core-isolation-memory-integrity-incompatible-drivers/

Problem is it isn't listed with a "Published Name", and I can't find it by searching through file explorer.  Also, I can't find it in device manager.

I'd like to delete it.  I'm down to roll back to Windows 10 if I absolutely have to, but my preference is to just delete the driver.

Just turn memory integrity off and be happy.

I do work as GFX lead for a company for a living, and if I should worry about that microsoft bullsh** I couldnt work at all, since 70% of certified drivers I do use every day, are now flagged as not compliant with core isolation.

Just turn the s**t off.

• Upvote 3

On 9/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, PierM said:

Just turn memory integrity off and be happy.

That's exactly what I did. Haven't had any issues either.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:26 AM, datacommando said:

There are no Line staff here, and only very occasionally do they visit these forums

Slightly disappointing. 

On 9/12/2022 at 12:26 AM, datacommando said:

Oh, yeah - You will need to get used to the idea that you will only ever find out about when something “drops” after it has happened.

I've noticed that with the Helix firmware updates. They're just suddenly there. :D

• Upvote 2

On 9/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, datacommando said:

There are no Line staff here, and only very occasionally do they visit these forums

On 9/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, jesperbc said:

Slightly disappointing. 

Why would it be disappointing? These are user forums. Users helping users. You have direct access to LINE 6 through the TICKET SYSTEM which is much easier for them to keep track of. Log into your account and open a support ticket. 

This was a recent WINDOWS UPDATE that started this mess, not a Line 6 update. Microsoft changed the rules, and now developers are playing catch up yet again. At least this time Microsoft provided the ability to TURN OFF their new feature for the time being. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've had this driver incompatibility issue crop up also when installing HX Edit for the first time on a one year old Windows 11 laptop (Dell 9710, Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2, HX Edit version 3.50). Previously was running HX Edit on a different computer (which didn't support Memory Integrity).

As folks here have noted, turning off Memory Integrity seems to be the accepted solution, even according to Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/why-do-incompatible-drivers-prevent-using-memory-integrity-0b7ae567-74de-ee03-1030-9e6fe0d6f4b6).

However, also note that this memory integrity isn't a particularly new feature in Windows, let alone Windows 11: it's been around for at least 4 years and is a security feature dependent on both the OS and hardware support. And one could reasonably expect this to be supported by driver providers given sufficient lead time to update their drivers - 4 years seems like enough lead time :)

Additional References:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/core-isolation-e30ed737-17d8-42f3-a2a9-87521df09b78

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-security/driver-conflict-disabling-core-isolation-switch/m-p/3613514

Line 6 forums search turn up many reports of this issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+off+the+memory+integrity+setting+site%3Aline6.com

On 11/15/2022 at 5:14 AM, PierM said:

Memory Integrity is useless for people using their workstation as they should be used.

That depends on what percentage of people know how to take care of their PC and not do stupid things with it....which is probably around 2% of users from what I can tell......

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, PierM said:

Memory Integrity is useless for people using their workstation as they should be used.

Well, installing drivers from third parties (Line6) is exactly the situation where you would like Memory Integrity to be enabled. It is a feature which allows the operating system to defend itself against untrusted third parties. Like line6. And any other driver which might be used in your DAW.

Please, Line6, don't force us to choose, just update your drivers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/27/2023 at 12:51 PM, Raenil said:

Well, installing drivers from third parties (Line6) is exactly the situation where you would like Memory Integrity to be enabled. It is a feature which allows the operating system to defend itself against untrusted third parties. Like line6. And any other driver which might be used in your DAW.

Please, Line6, don't force us to choose, just update your drivers. 

Line 6 isn't reading your posts over here. If you want to ping them about that aspect, contact support.

As for the drivers, I don't care anymore, I moved my DAW to MacOS and only use core audio. Bye Bye Micros**t. :)

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but the problem still exists. I've seen arguments to blame the OS instead of Line 6. I don't see anybody to blame. I'm on the fence about it. "It's simply outdated hardware," but is it really? The hardware is still perfectly functional, these aren't iPhones, we don't need faster processors, or more features. We just need compatibility to keep what I consider my awesome purchase from an awesome company up and running. Focusrite is on Gen 3 of the Scarlett series, but I bet the Gen 1's are still up and running, because the company pressed forward with the series, they didn't abandon it... but for how long?

With Nvidia however, the latest drivers will work on your brand new 4090 series card, or your GTX780 from 2013. This is the right way to do it. I'm using a Toneport UX8, and disabled memory isolation to keep it going. I'm impressed that drivers even work in Windows 11 but they do. They just need to fix the memory isolation compatibility issue, but otherwise it works, so I do have to give credit where it is due, they just need a little extra push in the right direction.

With that being said, I recently bought a POD Pro, knowing full well that support was over. I bought it for nostalgic purposes only, but I do run Windows XP in a VM on my machine, and pass through a USB-Midi adapter to the VM and run the Line 6 Pod Pro Edit program so that I can still access hidden features like noise gate threshold and such. It's actually better than running it natively, because I don't have outdated Java 1.6 running on my Windows 11 machine, and I can scale the VM window to make the Line 6 Edit interface nice and big. Also the audio processing is done in the Pod, not in the software, so no audio driver clicks or pops or anything else, it works perfectly.

Going in blind on a new product though, and not knowing when the perfectly capable hardware will loose support isn't a good feeling. You can't even accuse L6 of purposeful obsolescence, because they never released a comparable updated device to the UX8 for people to purchase. I love L6, but wouldn't buy anything from companies that don't follow the Nvidia product support lifecycle, and unfortunately, few do. I get it, hardware ages, support must end, but compatibility updates do not have to end. Build brand loyalty, don't degrade it. Nvidia has a loyal diehard fan base, and I'm sure device compatibility has something to do with it, because even those GTX780 guys are still in the game.

On 12/19/2023 at 3:11 PM, castlevania said:

Going in blind on a new product though, and not knowing when the perfectly capable hardware will loose support isn't a good feeling though, and to be quite honest, I love L6, but wouldn't buy anything from them that requires drivers again in the future, which is pretty much everything, unless it supports native windows drivers like other soundcards do. Focusrite is on Gen 3 of the Scarlett series, but I bet the Gen 1's are still up and running, because the company pressed forward with the series, they didn't abandon it.

Hi,

Think yourself lucky - you could have bought into Apple's FireWire (I did way back) - check this out:

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, castlevania said:

.... It's simply outdated hardware, but is that acceptable? It's a shame really, the hardware is still perfectly functional, but the product lifecycle ends in my opinion prematurely. ...

I've bolded what I think are the key words in your post. All electronic product manufacturers make these decisions based on factors other than user's opinions. I, too, would like to see updated drivers for many of my old products, from printers to Roland/Boss audio/midi interfaces. The hardware is still fine but the products no longer work. 

Of course, how you want to respond to that reality (e.g. no future purchases of Line 6 products that require drivers) is up to you. But your opinion won't change anything, and the 'problem' is not specific to Line 6. Be careful you're not jumping from the frying pan into the fire, as they say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:29 AM, silverhead said:

I've bolded what I think are the key words in your post. All electronic product manufacturers make these decisions based on factors other than user's opinions. I, too, would like to see updated drivers for many of my old products, from printers to Roland/Boss audio/midi interfaces. The hardware is still fine but the products no longer work. 

Of course, how you want to respond to that reality (e.g. no future purchases of Line 6 products that require drivers) is up to you. But your opinion won't change anything, and the 'problem' is not specific to Line 6. Be careful you're not jumping from the frying pan into the fire, as they say.

In my particular case, it seems L6 has abandoned the 8in8out interface market in general, so they DEFINITELY don't care about my opinion. However, this experience has impact my purchasing decisions across all brands and hobby interests of mine, not just music. It's emboldened me to not just research device reliability and performance, but support as well, which is something I hadn't thought much about in the past except "do I get a warranty."

On 12/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, castlevania said:

…. It's emboldened me to not just research device reliability and performance, but support as well, which is something I hadn't thought much about in the past except "do I get a warranty."

Yes, considering product support expectations before you purchase is important. and there are at least two considerations. One type of support is what we’re talking about here: how long can the manufacturer be expected to keep the product alive in the sense that it will still work as the supporting technology progresses (e.g. computer OS upgrades).

Line 6 and other manufacturers of audio equipment have established a history of providing another type of product support. They regularly release product updates that do far more than just keep the product alive. They keep adding functions and features that can dramatically improve product capabilities. And the updates are free!! That gives users a whole other dimension of support to consider. Expectations in this dimension are more difficult to assess, but of course we do it anyway. And personal opinions on this matter vary much more widely, in my experience, than the end-of-life (EOL) decisions. We often see astonished cries here of ‘What?? No more feature additions and improvements? It’s only been X years since I bought this!’

The Helix product line is a great example of this. The Helix Floor hardware platform hasn’t changed since it was introduced in early 2016, and there have been nearly 30 firmware updates since that time. A few were no more than bug fixes but most were enhancements. It’s now way more powerful and capable than it was nearly 8 years ago, and there’s no reason (yet) to believe that it’s EOL is approaching. But certainly it will someday reach that point. I can’t imagine that anyone then will complain that they’ve been shortchanged (he says, with tongue firmly in cheek). But Helix has remained an improving product for far longer than any of its predecessors, most recently the POD HD series.

So what sort of support expectations should a buyer have when deciding whether or not to purchase the successor to Helix whenever it is eventually introduced? I have always said (and still do) that anyone should purchase a product based on the value/cost equation at the time of purchase. In other words don’t buy a product based on personal expectations of what one thinks it might be able to do in the future. Buy it because you think it’s worth the price today, and consider yourself fortunate if there are ever any free upgrades.  But Line 6 has certainly raised the bar with Helix and it will be hard for me to imagine that its successor will be ‘one and done’.

Time to stop rambling…..

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:28 AM, datacommando said:

Think yourself lucky - you could have bought into Apple's FireWire (I did way back) - check this out:

Wow. Many years ago, Apple orphaned a Universal Audio DSP card by changing the PCIe spec in their machines. So, I bought a Universal Audio Satellite, which uses FireWire. Now that won't work with Apple computers. At least it still works with Windows.

As to support for older Line 6 gear, I assume anything that existed before the Yamaha acquisition was eligible for the chopping block. Yamaha already had a line of pro-level interfaces from the Steinberg acquisition. 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, silverhead said:

from printers to Roland/Boss audio/midi interfaces.

I had a Roland VS-700 controller that worked with Cakewalk Sonar. When Windows 10 came out, it no longer worked. However some smart Sonar user figured out how you could change a few characters in the driver's code in a text editor, and have everything work just fine. Why Roland would not put a revised driver on their website mystified me. They could have even said "We don't support this driver, but if it works for you, great."

I had a Matrox video card that no longer worked with Windows 10. Matrox said it was incompatible and I'd need to buy a new card. Their driver specifically said it wouldn't work with Windows 10. Well, I poked around their website and found a driver package for servers, and it had a driver for the card that worked perfectly.

Welcome to greed. On the other hand, I've had Helix for 8 years, and it just keeps getting better. You win some, you lose some.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1