Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing Boss Katana Head with multi-effects processor + power amp? Tone upgrade?

nothing_nothing

I am thinking about buying a Pod Go / Headrush mx5 / Mooer GE300lite and using it with a power amp like Harley Benton GPA - 100 along with my 212 v30 cab.

Most people use guitar procesors with FRFR cabs, but the problem is that I hate how FRFR feels. For me, it's kinda flat and uninspiring. Simply, I need that "amp in the room feel" and I don't expect tube warmth from this setup, but at least something that will sound at least as decent as Boss Katana Head.

Will Pod Go (with cab sim disabled) + GPA - 100 give me an amp in the room feel? Will it sound like a real guitar amp (maybe not a tube one) and have a decent feel and pick attack? Do you think it's gonna be a tone upgrade over my Katana Head?

On 9/9/2022 at 9:18 AM, nothing_nothing said:

…..
Will Pod Go (with cab sim disabled) + GPA - 100 give me an amp in the room feel? Will it sound like a real guitar amp (maybe not a tube one) and have a decent feel and pick attack? Do you think it's gonna be a tone upgrade over my Katana Head?

It will give you the feel of your GPA power amp and 212 cab in the room,  because that’s what you will have in the room. It won’t give you the feel of any other guitar amp and cab because you are turning off the mic/cab modelling. The POD Go does provide realistic feel and pick attack in terms of playing dynamics. Whether you will find it to be a tone upgrade only you can decide.

• Upvote 1

You're essentially asking, "Will I like pesto pizza?" 

There's no way for any of us to know that.  I personally love FRFR and hate using other devices with a Katana - so your original problem is completely foreign to me. 

When you have that gear itch my advice is wait a few weeks before you leap in.  If it won't go away,  heck,  try it.  Maybe it'll blow your mind. 

Don't get rid of the Katana though until you're sure it was worth it. 

Good luck! I hope it is awesome for you.

• Haha 1