Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Tone And Output Questions

paulmackay1979

Ive just started using the hd500x after years of standalone pedals and im really impressed with it.

im using the 4 cable method into a Vox AC30 cc2x, its a great setup once its up and running, ive even used some of the modelled preamps straight into the power section with great results, just have one question

Im trying to find a method of setting up patches through headphones for the vox because its not exactly the quietest of amps but im assuming that ill have a very different sound between headphones and amp?

has anyone any tips for working this way?

Ive just started using the hd500x after years of standalone pedals and im really impressed with it.

im using the 4 cable method into a Vox AC30 cc2x, its a great setup once its up and running, ive even used some of the modelled preamps straight into the power section with great results, just have one question

Im trying to find a method of setting up patches through headphones for the vox because its not exactly the quietest of amps but im assuming that ill have a very different sound between headphones and amp?

has anyone any tips for working this way?

Doesn't matter how you're listening...you'll always have to push buttons and turn knobs till it sounds good. But you'll want to use a quality pair of studio monitor headphones...preferably open, or semi-open back. Closed back cans will give you an artificially pronounced low end, and you'll find yourself rolling off the bass to the point where it's at or near zero, and depending on the amp model and guitar you're using, it might still be too much.

How are you using the headphones with your Vox with a 4CM?  Your headphones plugged into the POD will be getting the signal BEFORE it hits the VOX power section so will certainly sound different.  Essentially you will have a patch with pre effects, VOX pre amp and post effects but no power amp, or speaker/cab.You may be able to listen with the amp in STBY but really don't think this will be good...

You should probably make duplicate patches of your 4CM setup using the POD's internal AC30 full amp model and tweak the amp model to sound as close to yours as possible through your headphones.  At least that way you will be able to practice and even record with a pretty close replica of your real rig.  Keep all the effect and footswitch assignments the same then when you switch to the real rig it should be pretty seamless...

I haven't tried using headphones yet, still trying to get to grips with a lot of the functionality of the pedal. Matching the sound of the vox sounds like it could work though, didn't want to use amp/cab modelling through the headphones if im using my Vox preamp when im gigging, but I suppose its just a case of turning off the model and turning on the fx loop and tweaking, duplicating might be easier though, thanks

I haven't tried using headphones yet, still trying to get to grips with a lot of the functionality of the pedal. Matching the sound of the vox sounds like it could work though, didn't want to use amp/cab modelling through the headphones if im using my Vox preamp when im gigging, but I suppose its just a case of turning off the model and turning on the fx loop and tweaking, duplicating might be easier though, thanks

Like I said...no right or wrong here. But if you like the Vox that much and want to use it's pre-amp for your basic tone, then you are really only using the 500X for fx, and you're missing out on much of what this unit can do. It is after all, an amp modeler. There are a couple of dozen options in there, and you might find one that you like 10x more than your Vox. If not, there are a bunch of other multi-fx units out there that are a lot less complicated to use than the Pods.