Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the "simple pitch" a polyphonic effect?

daveaphotopod

I know that I am capable of mostly answering this myself, but I know a lot of the synth effects are monophonic. (but I guess, to be fair 1. different set of effects 2. They're replicating "older" effects faithfully. 

However, playing a half step down with that effect, it tracks pretty well actually, and I don't hear many hiccups, and that's only if I am purposely listening for it. 

Has that been your experiences too? 

It's not, but it tracks pretty well 1 note.  My extremely limited experience with strings is that it often seems to bug out though; sometimes where it's supposed to go from soft to loud it doesn't go loud, just stays soft.  So...  I guess could work for recording or to play around, but I wouldn't say it's reliable enough for live or the such.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, grdGo33 said:

It's not, but it tracks pretty well 1 note.  My extremely limited experience with strings is that it often seems to bug out though; sometimes where it's supposed to go from soft to loud it doesn't go loud, just stays soft.  So...  I guess could work for recording or to play around, but I wouldn't say it's reliable enough for live or the such.

I use simple pitch for Eb tuning, eg 'Sweet child of mine', and have played it with a band. Works perfectly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, voxman55 said:

I use simple pitch for Eb tuning, eg 'Sweet child of mine', and have played it with a band. Works perfectly. 

Yeah I think the issue I was mentioning was more specific to the String Synth, the tracking itself (which note) seemed to be working well.  Maybe SS related to pickups or usage too;  location of the block, etc.  I remember seeing a vid about optimizing the synths; basically was all about creating a square wave before it hits the synth.  But anyway, totally different from just pitch shift!  For tracking, it was pretty good. Not perfect perfect, but very likely 'good enough'.

Did you end up trying it @daveaphotopod

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I've caused any confusion. Voxman has the right idea. I was aware the synth effects were monophonic, which is why I bought myself a separate polyphonic octave pedals for chords.  So my logic there was that if THOSE are monophonic, then basically every other synth and pitch effect is too. 

And I did so some more testing and for the most part, the simple pitch does really well. Especially on octaves and 5ths, and things like that. Where I catch a little of an issue is when I play some more jazzy chords. but for the most part, for things like Guns N Roses songs, as mentioned, I suspect it will be just fine!