Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using helix stomp as front end to amp

Billfon

I’m new to the world of helix and just bought a helix stomp. Just looking for the simplest way to get up and running with the stomp direct into my Fender Deluxe Tonemaster. I assume I would need to bypass the amp/cab functionality. Any tips for a newbie on how to do that and practice with the presets that I assume are already included?

Use a cable vs wireless if you plan on using fuzz FX. HXS has auto Input Impedance (RTM!)

Set the HXS Input and Output to INSTRUMENT (RTM!). You're running into the Fender's Instrument jack.

Don't use HXS amps or cabs. You could, but you'd be running HXS amps and cabs into the Fender preamp and cab. You might like it, but...

Pay attention to the gain staging of your FX.

That's it! Used with a Fender TM it's just like using a traditional pedal board.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This...  ^^^^

I run the HX Stomp as my time & modulation effects into either a Tone Master Deluxe or Tone Master Twin (Both are Blonde version with Creambacks).  I like the reverb and trem on the Deluxe, so I plug the board into Channel 1 of the "Vibrato" side and set these FX on the amp.  Build your effects chain in the Stomp, leaving out the amp/cab.  Something to keep in mind - The TM Deluxe starts to break up at just before "5" on the channel volume.  Unless you want to use the natural overdrive of the amp (and it sounds great!), keep the volume below 5 or learn to use the volume control on your guitar to control the grit level.

Below is a pic of my current board (In middle of downsizing).  I use the Nobels as my primary overdrive, the OCD when heavier is needed.  The Tumnus is being used as a clean boost for solos, etc.  I use the Morningstar to turn Stomp FX on/off via MIDI, programmed per preset.  The Stomp buttons change preset and set tempo.  This base setup gets gigged regularly and performs flawlessly.  I keep trying to find a pedal/sound the Stomp can't provide.  HX Stomp wins every time...

IMG_4307.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I´m updating my pedalboard to similar setup. -> Yamaha Revstar RSP02T + HX Stomp + Fender DeLuxe Reverb Tonemaster blonde with Celestion Cream Alnico.

HX Stomp is currently in mail (in Finland our post office is very slow), unfortunately, but hoping to have it soon...

I spent a couple of hours today with my new helix stomp following the helpful suggestions some of the folks here provided me. Unfortunately, every time I turned on the helix, I was expecting to see the presets that were preceded by “FX”. All I got was “New Presets “. I scrolled through about 42 of these new presets and couldn’t find the FX  

Presets that were described in videos or manual. I’m obviously frustrated but recognize I’m not a wizard at this, so I’m probably doing something wrong. Any help here or do I need to call Line6 Support?

Click the ? icon at the lower left of the HX Edit screen, then ABOUT.

Does the HX Stomp version at the top match the HX Edit version at the bottom?

They should both be v3.15. If not, click CHECK FOR UPDATES and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION!

In caps because if, like many others, you fail to do so, we'll all laugh at you when you come back wondering what to do with your bricked unit...

If everything matches, perform a Factory Reset to restore the Presets:

Be aware that if a Preset contains "4cm" in the title, move on, your amp doesn't have an FX Loop.

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, Billfon said:

I assume I would need to bypass the amp/cab functionality.

I use my LT as a preamp (and effects) into the effects returns of a pair of Bad Cat combo amps.  you obviously don't want to use speaker modeling, but don't rule out using the amp model along with its power section, as opposed to preamp only.  I was surprised to see that the models, at least the ones I use, sounded better w/the full pre/power sections on their own vs the preamps by themselves.  I use models from the Vox, Marshall, and Fender camps, so YMMV.  try them both ways and see what sounds better w/your setup.

Generally speaking I don't use cabs with an FX Return, and I NEVER use a Helix amp into an amp's Input. Some people use the Helix Preamps that way as an "AIAB" type effect. I tried a few that way but never liked them. All that said, every real-world amp is different.

The main reason to use the Full Amp models when going into an amp's FX Return is that L6 models speaker impedance curves into the Full Amp models, based on the Cab that they "Match" with the amp in the Amp+Cab Model. Since there's no interaction between the amp model and the physical speaker, the modeled impedance curve imparts some of that effect and even though it's not accurate to the physical speaker being used, any impedance curve is better than no impedance curve in terms of the "feel" of the modeled amp. Maybe. YMMV. :-)

• Like 1