Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have a JTV and HD500 and am considering one of the L3 speakers to complete my 'dream rig'. The question I am not clear about is if I go for the L3m what, if anything, am I missing by not going for the L3t? Whichever I go for will be used as my backline mainly for electric guitar sounds with the occasional JTV acoustic patch.

• Upvote 1

I had the same question; except, regarding the L2t vs L2m. Essentially, the answer others (Ron Marton) gave me was, in a word, flexibility. While the t vs m doesn't impact what you want to do with the JTV and HD500, it does matter if you want to be able to do things unrelated to that rig.

For $100 more, you get an onboard mixer. If you ever end up with a second L3t speaker, you can then "Two way link" them together, and that activates both sets of mixers / all inputs on the two speakers, and automatically configures them to run in stereo.

In that instance, for example, you could run your HD500 in stereo into the speaker mixer inputs, while also adding other musicians, vocal mics, etc.

Here are the links Ron pointed me toward, which have some very good diagrams linked to visually explain that two-way link connection concept between two L series speakers:

Small Stage Setup On A Budget

Confused L2t V L2m
  • Upvote 3

I had the same question; except, regarding the L2t vs L2m. Essentially, the answer others (Ron Marton) gave me was, in a word, flexibility. While the t vs m doesn't impact what you want to do with the JTV and HD500, it does matter if you want to be able to do things unrelated to that rig.

For $100 more, you get an onboard mixer. If you ever end up with a second L3t speaker, you can then "Two way link" them together, and that activates both sets of mixers / all inputs on the two speakers, and automatically configures them to run in stereo.

In that instance, for example, you could run your HD500 in stereo into the speaker mixer inputs, while also adding other musicians, vocal mics, etc.

Here are the links Ron pointed me toward, which have some very good diagrams linked to visually explain that two-way link connection concept between two L series speakers:

Small Stage Setup On A Budget

Confused L2t V L2m

Out of curiosity, is connecting a L2T (or L3T) in stereo with an L2M (or L3M) possible/advisable?  In other words, one as a mixer and the other as just a FRFR speaker?

That's great, thanks for the info. I think I'll probably go for the t. Are you using your L2 as an FRFR guitar rig? I'm only playing pubs and small clubs and I did consider the L2 but thought for the difference in cost the L3 would be the safer bet. Obviously the L2 wins on size and weight but how do you find it for volume?

That's great, thanks for the info. I think I'll probably go for the t. Are you using your L2 as an FRFR guitar rig? I'm only playing pubs and small clubs and I did consider the L2 but thought for the difference in cost the L3 would be the safer bet. Obviously the L2 wins on size and weight but how do you find it for volume?

I am gonna find out tonight! I bought the gear from Sweetwater recently, and was moving to a new home. It's all still in the original boxes in my co-workers office where we work (same guy I jam with). I finally got the moving project done, and have the house to myself this weekend. Looking forward to a full-on three days of musical exploration.

Tonight, I take it all home, and test drive everything after work.

Tomorrow, after work, band practice at the drummers house, where my bass rig, and my DT25, and my buddies guitars, amp, and all his gear are setup. Hoping to test drive both the M20d to the L2t's, and run some multi-track recording of our jams. Got some new vocal mics for the singer to test, a pair of new mics for the guitar amps, and a set of Audix drum mics for the kit.

Sunday, going to take a partial rig, probably the M20d and one of the L2t's to another friends house, and record him solo acoustic guitar and vocals. Same thing, will likely run it "live", and do the multi-track. I figure I will run him direct, mic his guitar with a mic, give him a good vocal mic, and probably put a pair of condensor mics' up just to get the "room" sound.

Yeah, the move was brutal. We had movers do the main stuff on Sunday March 9th, but then it was several days after that of going to the apartment after work, packing more stuff, loading up my car, then doing the hour+ drive to the new home. Then after that, cleaning like crazy so the landlord could get in and start painting and all that. I had moved my bass gear and DT25 over two months ago to the drummers house, then at the beginning of March took all my guitars and the rest of my gear to the new house, so I am in musical withdrawal!

My intent, is to eventually add a pair of either L3m or L3t's, and use the L2t's as stage monitors for bigger / full band gigs. Went with the L2t's for scaling back, doing acoustic duo type stuff, and when it's not applicable, safe or feasible to bring the M20d mixer. Or even at gigs, for being able to run my HD500 in stereo in FRFR type rig, if I don't want to use the DT25.

The L2ts seem quite manageable in terms of weight, which can be key. I went with the DT25 over the bigger, heavier DT50, because I just don't want to make my back any worse than it is! Plus, I prefer a reasonable stage volume level, so the main mix can be fuller, and in general, I prefer that single plane of sound for the audience, rather than stage volume for some things, PA volume for others.

I don't care how small the club is, whenever possible, I like to mic the drums, mic the guitar amps, get the bass in via DI, or even mic the bass cabinet. Where the M20d is appealing, is being able to multi-track it all, so the main mix doesn't have to be recording oriented, it can be whatever the room requires.

• 1 year later...

I am leaning towards the L3m right now; Zzounds has an instant rebate going - they might be clearing out some inventory, I noticed that they don't show the DT25 combo on their website anymore.

Anyway, I have the L2t's, and I rarely if ever use the mixer component - they are always linked to either my HD500, or the M20d.. I get why the extra mixer is cool for the extra $100; but mostly just to justify the already insane price tag for two, I keep coming back to the L3m, whose primary use would be as main speakers with the M20d system; the two L2t's for stage monitors. Or if the gig is smaller, possibly the two L2t's for mains, and the L3m's for a single stage monitor.

Just wondering if people prefer not having to protect the mixer section when raising and lowering these onto speaker stands, or when transporting to and from gigs>?

And another side note; has anyone use these gas-piston assisted speaker stands>?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS100B-2pk

I have 2 L3t's as mains for my setup. I've never had an issue or worry about the mixer section when mounting them on poles for gigs. They are recessed and aren't in a place you would tend to grab when raising them.

As for transportation, I bought some crates online that I use for them. That way they can get slammed around, piled on top of, and I have no worries at all about them.

I have 2 L3t's as mains for my setup. I've never had an issue or worry about the mixer section when mounting them on poles for gigs. They are recessed and aren't in a place you would tend to grab when raising them.

As for transportation, I bought some crates online that I use for them. That way they can get slammed around, piled on top of, and I have no worries at all about them.

Does having them with the added mixer get much use when you are running them as mains? Are you using an outboard mixer typically, or are you routing the main mix signal through the mixer section so it can be EQ'd vs the rear panel XLR in?

I am only using them as mains - all controlled from the M20D and the L6 Link.

I bought them in case I ever needed to use the mixer in them, kind of a backup or ever did a solo/duo type gig - which I have not done yet - nor do I have any short term plans but maybe someday.

If the M20D ever went down during a gig, at least I could run a couple vocal mics out through these and get through the show - without having to bring a backup mixer. 

I am only using them as mains - all controlled from the M20D and the L6 Link.

I bought them in case I ever needed to use the mixer in them, kind of a backup or ever did a solo/duo type gig - which I have not done yet - nor do I have any short term plans but maybe someday.

If the M20D ever went down during a gig, at least I could run a couple vocal mics out through these and get through the show - without having to bring a backup mixer. 

Ok, that's very useful info - very similar situation to how I intend to use them with my band. We're using the M20d as well, with a pair of L2t's for the stage monitors... Good thinking on the 'just in case' scenario! I guess it's not always the first thought when buying new gear, but for the extra $200 that would be something that I might miss more later than I would appreciate the nominal savings now.. Especially split across multiple payments..

Hmmm.. Good stuff, thanks for the responses! I was also mulling over the idea that the mixer might be useful in ways I have not yet contemplated..

For anyone in the UK check out Thomman prices (import from germany) with Euro exchange rates.

They seriously undercut all UK retailers, and for some reason the price difference of L3t over L3m is less than £4 at only £507.01 including free shipping.

At that price there isn't any question at all - it has to be L3t, just a shame I can't justify upgrading my PA speakers

Out of curiosity, is connecting a L2T (or L3T) in stereo with an L2M (or L3M) possible/advisable?  In other words, one as a mixer and the other as just a FRFR speaker?

Yep, that works - you run two AES/EBU cables between them, connecting the two Line6 Link in/outs on each speaker. In the L3t mixer section you have the option to set the inputs as stereo or dual mono.

I have all models

I like the L3t - and if you're acoustic you'll like the settings

L2 not much volume

Ok, that's very useful info - very similar situation to how I intend to use them with my band. We're using the M20d as well, with a pair of L2t's for the stage monitors... Good thinking on the 'just in case' scenario! I guess it's not always the first thought when buying new gear, but for the extra $200 that would be something that I might miss more later than I would appreciate the nominal savings now.. Especially split across multiple payments..

Hmmm.. Good stuff, thanks for the responses! I was also mulling over the idea that the mixer might be useful in ways I have not yet contemplated..

Since you already have m20d you should get the LT's as a backup - just In case the mixer freezes up or something

Mine looked like it was stuck on boot up once but all ok after shutting off& on - scared me into 3T

• 2 weeks later...

Im considering the MD20 plus two Lt or Lms as mains.

I assume the Lts, besides the back up factor are good for acoustic gigs + you dont need the Md20?

What if I got one L2T+ one L2M; sound good together? (as mains)

Will the 2's suffice as mains for a 6 piece over band?......we have drums, keys, 4 mics, bass, 2 guitars. (I like the weight of the 2's).

Any of the series would work as a monitor? Given the price, non Line 6 monitors would work fine?

The L3 subwoofer at 85 lbs is just not something I want to lug around. What non Line 6 sub would work?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I assume the Lts, besides the back up factor are good for acoustic gigs + you dont need the Md20?

Will the 2's suffice as mains for a 6 piece over band?......we have drums, keys, 4 mics, bass, 2 guitars. (I like the weight of the 2's).

Any of the series would work as a monitor? Given the price, non Line 6 monitors would work fine?

The L3 subwoofer at 85 lbs is just not something I want to lug around. What non Line 6 sub would work?

Thanks

2 L2t's / L2m's will work just fine.  I use them for my 7 piece 50s/60s Band.  I use a pair of Behringer B1200D for subwoofers - easy to transport and great sound as well - I considered (and still want) and L3s, but at 85# and for the price, the pair of Behringer B1200Ds were more budget friendly...

Thanks

Any sub will work BUT I don't find the L3S's any worse than any other system I've used.  They have wheels built into them that are very useful even on hard dirt or grass.  They have great integral handles.  I find them MUCH easier to move than the the Yamaha 18's I used to have and they sound better too.

2 L2's is plenty loud depending on what you mike.  If you're already getting an M20d save yourself a couple hundred and don't buy the T's.  You already have a portable mixer with effects in the M20.  Unless you do a lot of gigs as a one or two man band it's not worth the extra change if you already have an M20d.

Any sub will work BUT I don't find the L3S's any worse than any other system I've used. They have wheels built into them that are very useful even on hard dirt or grass. They have great integral handles. I find them MUCH easier to move than the the Yamaha 18's I used to have and they sound better too.

If you're already getting an M20d save yourself a couple hundred and don't buy the T's. You already have a portable mixer with effects in the M20. Unless you do a lot of gigs as a one or two man band it's not worth the extra change if you already have an M20d.

Good points! I have my eye on the L3s next. Have had the M20d and pair of L2t for a year or so, just added a pair of L3m recently. The weight is manageable- but I need to do some working out so I can move the rig around without tweaking my back!

Talk about a niche market... Workout and Exercise book and video series targeting weekend warrior working musicians! Hey, gotta be able to lift, lug and carry the gear to the gig if you want to make music!

I got my L3S's at a DEEP discount.  If you see some demo's or some in a store, make an offer.

I'm not a big guy (155lbs and 50yrs old) and they're easily one man movable.  Hell, if the ground is flat I can move both of them at once on the wheels.  I can get them in the back of a pickup or SUV by myself.

Honestly they're easier to handle than my DT50.

• Upvote 1

Like it or not I'm going to add my 2 cents to this conversation...LOL

OK first as far as L3t vs L3m, I just find it's worth it to have the mixer, I never use the mixer for live but often if I go to rehearse or jam, I just take the L3t, run my guitar into one channel and my vocal into the other and I can cut through any jam volume.  You just never know when it's going to come in handy.

Next, if you're going to get the L3s I would recommend going with the L2 for tops.  Since the top speaker of the L3 is in the sub range anyway by the time you factor in the cross-over there isn't much to be gained by having an L3 vs L2 when using the L3s sub. You can save space and weight.

Lastly if you can possibly swing the L3s subs vs a non dreamscape sub get the L3s.  They sound amazing they, configure themselves into the system and as stated above, despite the specs, somehow they really are manageable as far as moving them and lifting them.

As an addendum, I will share that I typically use in ears for monitors (about 90% of the time) but I have played several gigs with no monitors at all.  Some rooms will lend themselves to this, you can set the speakers a little behind the band, not completely behind but kind of off to the side and about halfway back which will give you a really good stage mix and an idea of what's going on out front. When I get to the venue I will just kind of size up the room and determine if it will work.  If it doesn't it's not that much work to slide the mains to the front of the stage and set up the in ears.

If I was just going to buy and L2 ore L3 for guitar vocal use only as per the original question, I would opt for the L2t.  Mixer included, and that extra sub frequency speaker is not so needed for guitar and vocals.  If I was buying the whole system over again I would get the L2t vs L3t for tops for all the reasons already mentioned.  When I first bought, I kind of bought in pieces so didn't have the subs right away.

• Upvote 1

Like litesnsirens said, the side panel, if useful for nothing else, is great for rehearsals...

When I bought my rig I didn't fork out the extra £400 to get 4 "t" model speakers, I simply got 2x L3m and 2x L2m which our band uses as floor monitors, however recently I've acquired an L2t. I've subsequently used it at rehearsals where I'm only putting "me" through the speaker (an instrument only rehearsal and a rehearsal with another band where I'm guesting).

I'm seriously tempted to buy a second L2t... giving me 4 floor monitors in full rig mode, and although I've not tried running the L2's as tops over my subs, following from litesnsirens, if I get a second L2t, I may well try it... I've run out of space in my car to transport more speakers ;-) so only taking out L2's might be a plan!

The capability to go out with just the 2 L2t's if we ever do a smaller pub gig and only want to put vox and sax through is also pretty appealing. Oh that I'd made these discoveries and the excellent guidance above had been available at the outset!