Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to HX Stomp. Please Help!

ercflyer

I recently traded for a used HX Stomp.  I have noticed while testing it out that if I lightly touch the tap temp/tuner switch it brings up the tap tempo menu on the display.  I mean lightly as in barely touch my finger to the button.  Is this normal or do I have some sort of grounding issue?

Also, I am trying an amp less setup for home recording with the HX Stomp.  I have some studio monitors and trs cables.  Where do I plug those into?  The HX Stomp or into my Macbook air?  I haven't decided on which DAW to use yet other than GarageBand because it was free and included with my Mac.  As I stated earlier I am new to all this.  I assumed that plugging my monitors into the Mac is the way to go to monitor my complete tracks and that if they are plugged into the Stomp I would only hear the guitar part of the track.  Any pointers would be much appreciated.

On 9/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, ercflyer said:

…..  I have noticed while testing it out that if I lightly touch the tap temp/tuner switch it brings up the tap tempo menu on the display.  I mean lightly as in barely touch my finger to the button.  Is this normal or do I have some sort of grounding issue?

….

From the HX stomp manual: “ From Stomp or Scroll mode, touch FS3 (TAP/TUNER) to briefly display Tempo parameters.” 

I'm not sure about MAC, but on a PC you'd plug the monitors into whichever device is being used as your Audio Interface. If the HXS is your AI, plug them in there. If the MAC has a "Sound Panel" or some sort of audio control center, you'd use that to route the audio from the computer to the AI.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, ercflyer said:

I recently traded for a used HX Stomp.  I have noticed while testing it out that if I lightly touch the tap temp/tuner switch it brings up the tap tempo menu on the display.  I mean lightly as in barely touch my finger to the button.  Is this normal or do I have some sort of grounding issue?

Also, I am trying an amp less setup for home recording with the HX Stomp.  I have some studio monitors and trs cables.  Where do I plug those into?  The HX Stomp or into my Macbook air?  I haven't decided on which DAW to use yet other than GarageBand because it was free and included with my Mac.  As I stated earlier I am new to all this.  I assumed that plugging my monitors into the Mac is the way to go to monitor my complete tracks and that if they are plugged into the Stomp I would only hear the guitar part of the track.  Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Hi,

First up, re: “lightly touching” footswitches to have them react is perfectly normal - they are capacitive footswitches. See page 7 of the HX Stomp Owner’s Manual.

Second - using GarageBand with your Stomp. Connect it to your MacBook Air using a USB cable, and connect your powered monitors with the TRS cables to the 1/4” Output L/R sockets on the back of the Stomp. This should give you latency free monitoring from GB. Use the Audio MIDI Setup Utility application on your Mac to select the Stomp as your audio interface.

There is a whole section in the Owner’s Manual describing the basics of using USB audio on page 55.

link:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Here’s a video from the splendid Nick Hill giving the basics with an M1 MacBook Air. He is using Studio One as the DAW, but the principles described are the same.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2