Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reverb in HX stomp send/return fx loop clipping

spjunkie

I recently purchased a catalinbread 4x40 "soft focus" to get my shoegaze on. On patches with no dirt it works in spades. However, in a patch containing the blocks Deluxe Comp > Tone sovereign > brit j45 nrm/4x12 greenback 20 > noise gate > FX loop L + Vintage Digital (delay) in parallel, the reverb in the fx loop clips. I have the send and returns all set to instrument level in the global settings, but it still clips. Is there a reason the HX stomp sends too hot a level even at unity gain? I have the output boosted 10db, but that is after the fx loop.  I also tested with my alesis MIDIverb II (can you tell I love shoegaze) and no clipping. Is this pedal specific? Should I reach out to catalinbread?

On 9/20/2022 at 1:00 PM, PierM said:

FX loop trip is unity gain*, so something is happening with that reverb pedal, which has its own Volume knob so maybe it's boosting there. That volume is a gain pre-effect.

I am thinking that, however also, when the volume knob on that pedal is at 0 (or its lowest) it still clips. It also had true Bypass/ Buffered select, but while on that shouldn't be effecting anything

On 9/20/2022 at 7:14 PM, spjunkie said:

I am thinking that, however also, when the volume knob on that pedal is at 0 (or its lowest) it still clips. It also had true Bypass/ Buffered select, but while on that shouldn't be effecting anything

Interesting...

Im sure its not the FX Loop as I do have an entire set of pedals in my Stomp FX Loop, and with or without them (either removed or bypassed) it's the same signal level.

If you are getting clipping post-return, even in true bypass, something is wrong for sure. (be sure your signal pre-send isnt clipping)

On 9/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, PierM said:

FX loop trip is unity gain*

?

The initial level - INST or LINE - is set in Global Settings (should be INST for this pedal).

Additional level control is provided by the FX Loop Block SEND/RETURN Level parameters.

Lower the SEND Level if the input signal to the pedal is too hot, raise the RETURN level if the RETURN from the pedal is too weak.

Also, consider that this pedal is designed to be early in the signal chain, like, between the guitar and the amp input.

Try moving it to before the amp.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:30 PM, rd2rk said:

?

The initial level - INST or LINE - is set in Global Settings (should be INST for this pedal).

Additional level control is provided by the FX Loop Block SEND/RETURN Level parameters.

Lower the SEND Level if the input signal to the pedal is too hot, raise the RETURN level if the RETURN from the pedal is too weak.

Also, consider that this pedal is designed to be early in the signal chain, like, between the guitar and the amp input.

Try moving it to before the amp.

He said it's all instr level, so what he's sending (with no pedals) isnt being unmatched at the return.

All the pedals here, apart tuner and OD, are running in the FX loop (those are pre-input). I can assure you I can turn that entire loop off/on, with no changes in the signal level. Unless Im adding boost/gain within those pedals, of course...

79-C26726-14-C0-4323-899-E-B70390-BD3-D6

On 9/20/2022 at 11:33 AM, PierM said:

He said it's all instr level, so what he's sending isnt being unmatched at the return.

?

I think the solution is to move the pedal to before the amp and any distortion FX should be in parallel with the pedal, so that they only affect the DRY signal.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, rd2rk said:

?

I think the solution is to move the pedal to before the amp and any distortion FX should be in parallel with the pedal, so that they only affect the DRY signal.

Jeez.

I said WITHOUT PEDALS.

Im just underlining it is not a fx loop problem. 

That reverb pedal is HOT by design (as I said above about the pedal gain pre reverb), but imho should not clip the FXloop, unless the guy is hitting the send very close to clipping (no headroom), or he's using very boomy reverbs on top of a very dirt signal. But, said that, if that's clipping even in bypass....something sounds wrong, despite pedal usage.

Things are very slow at work today, so I was really enjoying what looked like a potential flame war heating up between two of the most helpful posters on this forum. 

I gotta say, I'm horribly disapointed with the way it just kind of fizzled out.

I expected better. I see murder threats on Facebook between people for far less. 

• Haha 3