Jump to content

Aux send stereo; what cable?


mcvmcv
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/20/2022 at 9:09 PM, mcvmcv said:

what kind of cable do i need to use the "send" in stereo to my mixer?

i split my signal using a ir to the send out to my mixer but want to go stereo.

please advise.


Hi,

 

It would help to know what HX product you are wanting to “Send” from?

 

For example:

Helix floor and Rack units each have 4 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

Helix LT use 2 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

HX Stomp and Stomp XL both use a 1/4” stereo Send jack socket. 
HX Effects uses 2 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

 

Then on your mixer input - are the inputs 1/4” Mono, XLRs, or does it have a dedicated stereo 1/4” insert?

 

Anyhow, if you connecting 1/4” Mono pairs to Mono (TR to TR)in then regular guitar cables will suffice - you know what they look like.

If it is Stereo out to 2x Mono in you need a TRS to 2x Mono TR cable. Likewise, if the Sends are going to XLR you will need a similar cable - Stereo TRS to 2x XLR, or 2x Mono TR to 2x XLR.

 

Some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Microphone-Unbalanced-Interconnect-Dynamic/dp/B083P6S976/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2C8JFPJTH4BJ8&keywords=TR+1%2F4+Jack+to+XLR&qid=1663713768&sprefix=tr+1%2F4+jack+to+xlr%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-2
 

https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Y-Splitter-Unbalanced-Quarter-Adapter/dp/B083QKRNVC/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1KS49KKFG3HR0&keywords=TRS+1%2F4+Jack+to+2X+XLR&qid=1663713854&sprefix=trs+1%2F4+jack+to+2x+xlr%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-18


https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Stereo-Y-Splitter-Return-Insert/dp/B07K59P692/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3OP43XXXORVQB&keywords=TRS%2B1%2F4%2BJack%2Bto%2B2X%2B1%2F4%2BTR&qid=1663713999&sprefix=trs%2B1%2F4%2Bjack%2Bto%2B2x%2B1%2F4%2Bt%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

 

Finally after having gone through all this, I am confused by your comment:

“I split my signal using a IR to the send out to my mixer but want to go stereo.”

An example of your preset would help here, because it is not very clear what you want to direct out of the Sends.
 

The audio signal that leaves you regular outputs is stereo (unless you have a final block which collapses the signal to mono?). If you want to route the output of the parallel path which contains the IR from the Send socket, it will be mono (there is no stereo IR) unless it later passes through a stereo FX block.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense - because now, I’m confused.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, datacommando said:


Hi,

 

It would help to know what HX product you are wanting to “Send” from?

 

For example:

Helix floor and Rack units each have 4 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

Helix LT use 2 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

HX Stomp and Stomp XL both use a 1/4” stereo Send jack socket. 
HX Effects uses 2 x 1/4” mono Send jack sockets

 

Then on your mixer input - are the inputs 1/4” Mono, XLRs, or does it have a dedicated stereo 1/4” insert?

 

Anyhow, if you connecting 1/4” Mono pairs to Mono (TR to TR)in then regular guitar cables will suffice - you know what they look like.

If it is Stereo out to 2x Mono in you need a TRS to 2x Mono TR cable. Likewise, if the Sends are going to XLR you will need a similar cable - Stereo TRS to 2x XLR, or 2x Mono TR to 2x XLR.

 

Some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Microphone-Unbalanced-Interconnect-Dynamic/dp/B083P6S976/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2C8JFPJTH4BJ8&keywords=TR+1%2F4+Jack+to+XLR&qid=1663713768&sprefix=tr+1%2F4+jack+to+xlr%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-2
 

https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Y-Splitter-Unbalanced-Quarter-Adapter/dp/B083QKRNVC/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1KS49KKFG3HR0&keywords=TRS+1%2F4+Jack+to+2X+XLR&qid=1663713854&sprefix=trs+1%2F4+jack+to+2x+xlr%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-18


https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Stereo-Y-Splitter-Return-Insert/dp/B07K59P692/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3OP43XXXORVQB&keywords=TRS%2B1%2F4%2BJack%2Bto%2B2X%2B1%2F4%2BTR&qid=1663713999&sprefix=trs%2B1%2F4%2Bjack%2Bto%2B2x%2B1%2F4%2Bt%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

 

Finally after having gone through all this, I am confused by your comment:

“I split my signal using a IR to the send out to my mixer but want to go stereo.”

An example of your preset would help here, because it is not very clear what you want to direct out of the Sends.
 

The audio signal that leaves you regular outputs is stereo (unless you have a final block which collapses the signal to mono?). If you want to route the output of the parallel path which contains the IR from the Send socket, it will be mono (there is no stereo IR) unless it later passes through a stereo FX block.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense - because now, I’m confused.

Yes; i want to route the output of the parallel path, with an IR and a stereo reverb after it.

so, trs stereo to 2x xlr into my mixer at the xlr inputs

its a HX stomp by the way,

thanks!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, mcvmcv said:

Yes; i want to route the output of the parallel path, with an IR and a stereo reverb after it.

so, trs stereo to 2x xlr into my mixer at the xlr inputs

its a HX stomp by the way,

thanks!

 

That should do it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry hope this isnt throwing confusion into a easy question...:)

 

All potentially correct, but a bit unclear if you are using Send or Output. HX Stomp output are L/R TRS balanced, but send jack is TRS unbalanced since it's just a single output port.

 

If you are using the Send you can just go with a standard Y splitter cable (all 1/4" jacks) TRS to TS/TS, or a male TRS to two female TS, and then use two standard instrument cables to go into mixer.

 

If you use the main ouput, then you are doing good with two TRS 1/4" to XLR cables.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 10:57 AM, PierM said:

Sorry hope this isnt throwing confusion into a easy question...:)

 

All potentially correct, but a bit unclear if you are using Send or Output. HX Stomp output are L/R TRS balanced, but send jack is TRS unbalanced since it's just a single output port.

 

If you are using the Send you can just go with a standard Y splitter cable (all 1/4" jacks) TRS to TS/TS, or a male TRS to two female TS, and then use two standard instrument cables to go into mixer.

 

If you use the main ouput, then you are doing good with two TRS 1/4" to XLR cables.

 

 

Yes im using the "Send", but the mixer only takes XLR

The main outputs go to a stereo amp and 2 guitar cabs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2022 at 10:07 PM, mcvmcv said:

Yes im using the "Send", but the mixer only takes XLR

The main outputs go to a stereo amp and 2 guitar cabs.

 

Ok. So it's indeed a Y TRS splitter going into *2 TS to XLR (unbalanced cables).

 

All good. :]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...