Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can my LT change an external amp's channel?

boynigel

See Global Settings>Preferences to assign the function of the jack.

See Command Center to find out how to.

Of course, this assumes that your amp's channels can be changed via a normal TRS FS.

Some amps use MIDI.

It helps to be specific.

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:22 PM, rd2rk said:

See Global Settings>Preferences to assign the function of the jack.

See Command Center to find out how to.

Of course, this assumes that your amp's channels can be changed via a normal TRS FS.

Some amps use MIDI.

It helps to be specific.

my amp would be using TSR.  would I be using the EXP 2 jack on the helix to go to the amp?

At this point, your TSR (True Skill Rating) seems pretty low. Reading the manual could help with that.

Using a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) cable from the port that's labelled for that purpose and setting that port to actually be USED for that purpose (Global Settings>Preferences) is the way to go. You'll likely have to RTM (Command Center) to find out what to do next.

No guarantees though. No-brand and CIA issued amps can be very unpredictable. With the latter, un-redacted versions of the manual are hard to come by.

There's no telling what would happen if the Magic Smoke escaped from one of those!

Good Luck!

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, rd2rk said:

At this point, your TSR (True Skill Rating) seems pretty low.

ooh, I bet you felt SO clever/satisfied.  typos happen.  I wonder how many of yours I'd find if I reviewed some of your posts?  anyway...

On 9/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, rd2rk said:

No-brand and CIA issued amps can be very unpredictable

due to my low skill level I'm not sure what this means.  My amps are Bad Cats and I've heard people who have Helix Floor models are able to do channel switching w/them via the Helix.  However, my LT doesn't have an Ext Amp jack, which is what raised my question initially.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, boynigel said:

my amp would be using TSR.

From the manual, directly below the big picture of the rear panel - very similar to the photo above!

16. EXP PEDAL 2/EXT AMP An additional expression pedal can be connected to Helix LT and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. See “Quick Controller Assign” Alternatively, this jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring). To set this jack’s function, see “Global Settings > Preferences”

On 9/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, boynigel said:

ooh, I bet you felt SO clever/satisfied.  typos happen.  I wonder how many of yours I'd find if I reviewed some of your posts?  anyway...

due to my low skill level I'm not sure what this means.  My amps are Bad Cats and I've heard people who have Helix Floor models are able to do channel switching w/them via the Helix.  However, my LT doesn't have an Ext Amp jack, which is what raised my question initially.

You're missing the point by demonstrating your complete lack of a sense of humor.

RTFM!

If you have an LT you have an Ext Amp Jack. Look at the picture on page 9 (rev C), the picture of the back panel. It's on the far left labeled "EXP PEDAL 2" in big letters and below that in smaller letters "EXT AMP". There has never been a version of the LT which lacked the EXT AMP jack. Here's a link to the official release video from April 2017. FF to 5:07 for a picture and statement of function.

You know the Homer Simpson meme - slaps himself in the head and says "DOH!"?

You need to learn to laugh at yourself when you totally screw up.

But DON'T be a Homer - LEARN from your mistakes. 

RTFM!

Okay, I think my tone is being misinterpereted.  I've got a great sense of humor and wasn't offended.  I can't RTFM because I'm at work since 7 a.m. this morning, here until 11 p.m., and it's no fun to read/navigate the manual on a tiny phone screen w/constant interruptions.

I've been sneaking on here when I have a chance to post/respond as time allows.  this forum sometimes lets me circumvent the manual in that I can usually get some quick answers, go home, and cut to the chase given that I'll have a whopping 1 hour to play before having to go to bed to get up to work another double.  you don't have to answer me if you're that irked.  Shoot me, I'm busy.  As in 16-hour, consecutive days, forced OT- busy.  

btw, if you read the posts above, you'd know why I was lead to believe that the LT might not do amp switching (a relabeled back panel). Now understand that I mean this w/no hostility when I say I'm glad you brought up the Simpsons, because you sir, are Comic Book Guy.  I'll RTFM when I'm home for more than an hour and not getting interrupted every minute.  thanks, and tootle-ooh!

On 9/25/2022 at 6:10 PM, boynigel said:

Now understand that I mean this w/no hostility when I say I'm glad you brought up the Simpsons, because you sir, are Comic Book Guy.

IDK about that, although there are days when I think I'd be better off befriending an air conditioner than spending one more minute on MI forums...

1625059666_ComicBookGuy.jpg.0164cd37b6df6237ad11e9a01a4e20d7.jpg

We REALLY need emoticons on this forum.

• Haha 1