Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Distorted input on Helix LT

Espexp

I have an issue with my Helix LT.

When I try to play on any clean patches I am getting this horrible scratchy,buzzy, distorted signal when strumming or playing individual notes.

I have checked the following:

Switched guitar cables twice

Switched guitars (went through all 4 of them)

The sound is coming through headphones and my Amp/FR speakers

It happens on both the neck and bridge pickups (but much worse on the bridge) Pickups are EMG Het Set and 81/60 combos)

Input pad is on

Input gate is on

Impedance is on Auto and I tried other settings

I tried plugging the guitar into return 1

The guitar icon on the unit is staying green so I don't think I am clipping the input

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Check your input cable... Just now my input cable (from wireless to the Helix) died.  But it died in such a way that it mostly worked, except certain clean/acoustic sounds all of a sudden sounded horribly distorted, not loud enough, etc.  So check your cable, guitar, etc -- things can get weird like that.  Some cables die gradually, to a point where it's gradually getting worse and worse...

check your guitar on an empty patch...if there is no distortion, then you are likely hearing modeled signal overload...usually this is when you have a particular effect in a part of the chain that is running hot (ie: after amp block)...tape echo can get pretty nasty in a post amp position and it gets hit too hard...You might can locate the culprit by removing one block at a time until it goes away...if you need it, then you will have to lower the incoming level to the block. if it's something like the amp block feeding a tape echo, you might need to lower the channel volume a good bit, put a volume block on the other side to make up the level you want....basically, the level of each effect is modeled and you get modeled overload...sometimes it's pretty nasty...anyway, just a thought...good luck

• Upvote 1

Depending on which cab I use, I get the same thing (or what could be called that).  I have found that cutting the highs to between 4 to 8k gets rid of that noise.   you can do that either on the cab itself (which has a slower dropoff curve) or by adding an eq at the end of the chain (steeper cut off).