Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects: external up/down switch...hints

rudomat

hi,

question: is it possible to use an external up/down switch and use the internal up/down for switching presets...?

i`m running a tube amp and use my hx stomp for post fx only and am thinking about buying an additional hx effects for pre fx only... for 95% of the time, i don`t use any pre fx before my amp, so i`m happy, i can run the hx in analog bypass mode...

but since i`d like to have 6 preset switches accessable all the time (clean, clean+, crunch, crunch+, lead, lead+), i wonder if i could use the 6 hx effects switches for switching those 6 presets...i`d need to use an external up/down switch then of course...could i then lable those 6 displays for my needs as well?

could i then use the three hx stomp switches as instant access switches. only..?

any tips for that kind of setup...?

thanks

On 9/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, rudomat said:

hi,

question: is it possible to use an external up/down switch and use the internal up/down for switching presets...?

i`m running a tube amp and use my hx stomp for post fx only and am thinking about buying an additional hx effects for pre fx only... for 95% of the time, i don`t use any pre fx before my amp, so i`m happy, i can run the hx in analog bypass mode...

but since i`d like to have 6 preset switches accessable all the time (clean, clean+, crunch, crunch+, lead, lead+), i wonder if i could use the 6 hx effects switches for switching those 6 presets...i`d need to use an external up/down switch then of course...could i then lable those 6 displays for my needs as well?

could i then use the three hx stomp switches as instant access switches. only..?

any tips for that kind of setup...?

thanks

Only HX Stomp has the external FS option.

The HX FX does use the EXP/Ext Amp ports to only plug expression pedals or to control Ext Amps channels.

You'd need another MIDI controller to do all the extra stuff. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, PierM said:

Only HX Stomp has the external FS option.

The HX FX does use the EXP/Ext Amp ports to only plug expression pedals or to control Ext Amps channels.

You'd need another MIDI controller to do all the extra stuff. 

thanks,

question: could i be in analog bypass mode, have all set to bypass and at the same time use the six switches of the hx efects for only switching amp channels and sending midi data...?

thanks a lot!

Not sure I understand the scheme here, but if you are referring to only HX FX, you could send a ALL BYPASS command via MIDI Controller, then all the commands assigned to the HX FX footswitches will keep working, as Bypass only affects audio through (but as soon as you press a FS the global bypass will auto lift).

It's a weird use of the HX FX, as you would basically use an external midi controller, to then use the HX FX as another midi controller, but I'm sure I'm missing something here. :)

EDIT; clean, clean+, crunch, crunch+, lead, lead+. These are looking perfect things for a proper Snapshot setup. Using a dedicated preset for each of those states, will produce signal drops between presets (because of the DSP flush).

thank you! may i ask you another question concerning the hx stomp:  do you maybe know...is it possible to send a midi command to the stomp wich would activate analog bypass, but just for the "pre"-fx (from input to send out) , while the "post fx" (from return in to the output) are still on...? 

On 9/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, rudomat said:

thank you! may i ask you another question concerning the hx stomp:  do you maybe know...is it possible to send a midi command to the stomp wich would activate analog bypass, but just for the "pre"-fx (from input to send out) , while the "post fx" (from return in to the output) are still on...? 

No, it doesn't exist.

Analog Bypass, as well as DSP Bypass, will bypass everything, so IN/OUT, SEND/RETURN.

Also, Global Bypass in all HX Device, is always "listening" for hardware inputs, so it will auto lift as soon as you press something.

If I may suggest, I would just use an external controller (for example a cheap Live Logic controller with 6 footswitches), plugged into HX FX, which is also sending/thru to HX Stomp. Then you can use such controller to just recall the six snapshot status, for clean, clean+, crunch, crunch+, lead, lead+, acting on both HX devices, via MIDI CCs. Then keep the two unit to do stomp mode, preset up/down etc.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, PierM said:

No, it doesn't exist.

Analog Bypass, as well as DSP Bypass, will bypass everything, so IN/OUT, SEND/RETURN.

Also, Global Bypass in all HX Device, is always "listening" for hardware inputs, so it will auto lift as soon as you press something.

If I may suggest, I would just use an external controller (for example a cheap Live Logic controller with 6 footswitches), plugged into HX FX, which is also sending/thru to HX Stomp. Then you can use such controller to just recall the six snapshot status, for clean, clean+, crunch, crunch+, lead, lead+, acting on both HX devices, via MIDI CCs. Then keep the two unit to do stomp mode, preset up/down etc.

thank you! you mean the blackstar live logic controller...? so then i think i could prefer a second hx stomp, since it is smaller...right? so i could be able to send a midid message to do an analog bypass on (pre fx) unit one and select some preset on unit two...via one switch on the midi controller i could then activate some preset on unit one...right? so what i mean is, i can send a midi message for switching the analog bypass on and off, right?

thanks!!!

Yes, ALL BYPASS uses the CC#70. Analog or DSP bypass is then being set to Globals Settings

Still I honestly believe you are overengineering the concept for what I understand are your needs, and completely missing the snapshot feature which would probably reduce at minimum the tap dancing. :)

o/

• Upvote 2

On 9/28/2022 at 10:52 AM, PierM said:

Yes, ALL BYPASS uses the CC#70. Analog or DSP bypass is then being set to Globals Settings

Still I honestly believe you are overengineering the concept for what I understand are your needs, and completely missing the snapshot feature which would probably reduce at minimum the tap dancing. :)

o/

thank you...ok, but my goal is pretty simple...i want to use my amp without any digital pedals in front most of the time...and only when i want to use some wah or maybe some extreme fuzz sound or so, i`d like to be able to activate this pre-amp path via one switch...as well as i want to have 6 preset switches (clean, clean+, crunch, ...) 

do i oversee some possibility here...??? ;-)

I would just use a snapshot to turn all blocks in bypass. If you are worried about the ADA conversion and latency, then just grab a cheap loop switch and put the HX in its send/return (like the One Control Tri Loop) . That's gonna be 100% true bypass. This way, even with HX FX bypassed, you can still use it as a command center. You still have 3 snapshots available on the HX FX, and other 3 on the Stomp. Again, imho that's enough to control all your preset stages. If you then implement MIDI between the two HX devices, you can use commands to interlink everything.

I do suggest to download the manuals, and learn the true potential of these things. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 12:33 PM, PierM said:

I would just use a snapshot to turn all blocks in bypass. If you are worried about the ADA conversion and latency, then just grab a cheap loop switch and put the HX in its send/return (like the One Control Tri Loop) . That's gonna be 100% true bypass. This way, even with HX FX bypassed, you can still use it as a command center. You still have 3 snapshots available on the HX FX, and other 3 on the Stomp. Again, imho that's enough to control all your preset stages. If you then implement MIDI between the two HX devices, you can use commands to interlink everything.

I do suggest to download the manuals, and learn the true potential of these things. ;)

thanks...so on the hx fx in snapshot mode, can the bypass state be programmed individually to snapshots...so i could use switch#1 to activate bypass, and switch#2 to turn the unit on again and have the wah on the same time...? would i then have the problem, that in bypass mode, the displays aren't on, right?

i also don't really know what you mean, when you say ..You still have 3 snapshots available on the HX FX, and other 3 on the Stomp...why three left..???

thanks!

p.s.: i actually read the manual many times...but concerning bypass mode there's not much in there...;-(

On 9/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, rudomat said:

thanks...so on the hx fx in snapshot mode, can the bypass state be programmed individually to snapshots...so i could use switch#1 to activate bypass, and switch#2 to turn the unit on again and have the wah on the same time...? would i then have the problem, that in bypass mode, the displays aren't on, right?

i also don't really know what you mean, when you say ..You still have 3 snapshots available on the HX FX, and other 3 on the Stomp...why three left..???

thanks!

p.s.: i actually read the manual many times...but concerning bypass mode there's not much in there...;-(

You keep overthinking that global bypass. I would not use it for your setup, at all. You just setup a single snapshot that when active does turn ALL blocks in the preset in Bypass, so it's acting just like a buffered bypass, with the advantage that the entire device will stay active; display is active, commands are active, snapshots are active etc...

If you use ALL BYPASS, the unit would be just an expensive and useless doorstop on your pedalboard.

HX FX has max 4 snapshots, HX Stomp has 3. You have 7 snapshot that you can use to setup all your presets variations within the same preset (so no DSP flush and no signal drops).

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:37 PM, PierM said:

You keep overthinking that global bypass. I would not use it for your setup, at all. You just setup a single snapshot that when active does turn ALL blocks in the preset in Bypass, so it's acting just like a buffered bypass, with the advantage that the entire device will stay active; display is active, commands are active, snapshots are active etc...

If you use ALL BYPASS, the unit would be just an expensive and useless doorstop on your pedalboard.

HX FX has max 4 snapshots, HX Stomp has 3. You have 7 snapshot that you can use to setup all your presets variations within the same preset (so no DSP flush and no signal drops).

thank you...i've had another idea last night...what if i use the stomp for pre fx and the hx fx in my amps fx loop...i could still use the hx fx as a midi controler and the post fx are always on ...everyone of the six switches could either send the midi message to analog bypass the pre fx or have it turned on...right....? would that be my solution...?

is it correct, that i could send the midi CC#70 and a value of 0-63 to the hx stomp to put the unit in analog bypass and then, with another preset or snapshot send cc#70 with a value of 64-127 to have the unit on...?

thanks a lot!

best,

rudi