Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Way To Connect Into a Combo Amp

Xane88

If I'm using my line 6 floor for everything (sound effects, amp modeler, cabs..)and I only use my Orange combo amp clean to amplify the helix, what's the best way to connect the two? should I still use the 4CM or Just run one cable into the Amps Fx or front input? let me know what you guys recommend is best for the tone.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, Xane88 said:

If I'm using my line 6 floor for everything (sound effects, amp modeler, cabs..)and I only use my Orange combo amp clean to amplify the helix, what's the best way to connect the two? should I still use the 4CM or Just run one cable into the Amps Fx or front input? let me know what you guys recommend is best for the tone.

Hi,

I've only just spotted your post.

Anyhow, as for your question - there are no rules about this sort of stuff and the best thing to do is try things both ways and then see which you prefer. What works for one person may not be ideal for you. You decide.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I think this is a good question and a lot of people face this dilemma....4CM vs Effects Loop.

IMHO, if you just have 1 amp you are using with the Helix I suggest the 4CM. It's just going to let you have the most flexible setup possible.

Things get more complicated if you have an amp you really like AND a Powercab. In this case, it might make more sense to simply the use of the Helix and your amp and just have it in the amps effects loop. This will allow you to switch back and forth more easily.

Another factor that might drive you towards having the Helix in your Amps loop only is your collection of physical drive pedals. Say you have it all and you're happy with your compressor, overdrive, distortion, boost and wah. In this case, who needs the Helix front end, just use your amp's loop and you're good.

So it's more about what you have and what you want.

In your case 4CM is a sure winner!

Good luck.