Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Power Station (info, not a question)

toddkc

I just wanted to provide some random info in case anyone is looking for a portable power solution for their helix.  I have a helix floor and just got a 300wh pure-sine-wave portable power station and it will power my helix for a whopping 12 hours!  I'm not trying to shill for any particular brand so I'll leave that out unless anyone asks.  I was pleasantly surprised that it worked and that it will go for so long!

On 9/28/2022 at 2:37 PM, SaschaFranck said:

Not available (at least not over here). Expected that already, people are kinda prepping like mad.

Wow that's crazy!  Well, there are tons of brands of these available here, maybe there is an alternate pure-sine-wave one?  I basically just searched for the cheapest pure-sine-wave LifePO4 option.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:05 AM, toddkc said:

Wow that's crazy!  Well, there are tons of brands of these available here, maybe there is an alternate pure-sine-wave one?

Sure, there's some available, but as quite a lot of people seem to be expecting at least partial blackouts in Germany this winter (a little less so in other parts of Europe), prices are going up like mad. Planning to get one of these for the garden next year, though (along with a solar panel).

On 9/29/2022 at 3:14 PM, toddkc said:

Isn't technology amazing?  That is so freakin cool.

Thing is, given current electricity prices, most of these solar-driven/loaded units need years to amortize. So they really only make sense in case there's nothing else available.

It's a bit different for certain smaller devices. I once had a powerbank with a built-in (and somewhat expandable) solar panel that served as a loader for both my smartphone and tablet during roughly 2 summers (plus bits of autumn and spring) - not sure how much I actually saved, but as I got that thing for a mere few bucks (like €30 or so), it might've been worth it. Too bad it broke out of the blue.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:35 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Thing is, given current electricity prices, most of these solar-driven/loaded units need years to amortize. So they really only make sense in case there's nothing else available.

It's a bit different for certain smaller devices. I once had a powerbank with a built-in (and somewhat expandable) solar panel that served as a loader for both my smartphone and tablet during roughly 2 summers (plus bits of autumn and spring) - not sure how much I actually saved, but as I got that thing for a mere few bucks (like €30 or so), it might've been worth it. Too bad it broke out of the blue.

Fair point, but I just look at this stuff from the "hey that's pretty neat" mindset, I personally am not doing the math to see what it's costing/saving me.  I originally got this to try to chase down some electrical noise or ground loop issue I was having with my pod go that a DI box wasn't solving.

The rapid proliferation of these power devices is just beginning! As the volume and rate of product offerings grow, pricing, capacity, and features will improve significantly. If you can benefit from it now, grab one. Otherwise, give it a few months and benefit from the improvements. Also see the offerings from HarborFreight.com as they have them in 400W, 1000W, 2000W, and 3600W ratings. All are Pure Sine Wave. Plenty of power for Modelers, Amp, and active FRFR speakers!