Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playing While Distracted

With three rehersal jams under my belt with new JTV-59 (HD fw 2.0), VDI'd to 500X, and LR 1/4'd to new Acoustic 120S "FRFR" stereo room monitor, and of course balanced LR to board, well, I've assembled my version of a Dream Rig.  It sounds fabulous and my bandmates are very complementary about the range of guitar sounds and the crisp presense in the Acoustic amp - tweeters baby. 

But I am having serious trouble getting all the pieces to play together well on the fly - hence "Distracted Playing".  Maybe just more time will fix this, but my ageing brain cell kinda longs for the old days - where you just plugged into your favorite amp.  So I'd like to initially pose two questions, and then maybe this string will reveal you experts' shortcuts and advise.

Question 1 - What level to leave the -59 volume knob?  I'd like one less knob to turn between tunes.  Changing guitar models, 500X amp models, and even room amp gains - well that's a big workload, I'm looking down at my gear, missing vocal cues, and generally being distracted by my gear.  I've been workbenching the -59 model levels between rehersals (Spank up, Lester and Acoustics down), and going the right direction there, with more tweaking to go.  But I was getting surprising thin guitar sounds this week when I realized the guitar volume knob was down to about 30%.  Crap - too many knobs - I'd like to leave the volume knob alone at say 80% and tweak all the guitar models and Amp models I use in the 500X accordingly.  I should say I play mostly rhythm and must switch deftly between electric and acoustic.  Used to take maybe 10-12 seconds putting down the trusty Les Paul, picking up the acoustic stomping the Morley switcher, and switching 500X banks.

Question 2 - How to get great acoustic tones by simply turning the model knob and switching user banks on the 500X pedal? That's two simple actions that should take 4-5 seconds and that first opening acoustic strum should just be perfect.  Well that takes practice, practice, practice I guess.  I switch 500X banks because I put acoustic voices together - all without amps, just pre's and various EQ and modulation effects.  And I know the -59 custom 1 is a good short cut, but have not workbenched that yet.  How would you guys make the switch without fumbling, keeping eye contact with bandmates and having the confidence that first strum would nail it?

Love this gear, but sometimes feel I have created a monster.

You can also set the JTV knobs to "off" within the patch in the POD.  That way when you select a patch, it loads the amp model and all your effects, tells the JTV what model to use and any alternate tunings as well as set the volume and tone and turn the knobs off so they don't change on you.  You can also assign different functions to the knobs if you want.  For instance the tone knob can be set to control the gain on your amp or the mix in your delay.  Give it time, you will get the hang of it all...

• Upvote 2