Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Other volume pot options for JTV-69?

Firstly, I know the official Line 6 response is "DO NOT MODIFY YOUR INSTRUMENT. WE DO NOT SUPPORT THIS."

But my JTV-69 has been in the shop now for 3 months because they can't find a replacement volume pot (this is an official authorized Line 6 service center). This is my #1 guitar and I'm missing it! This is also the second time I've needed a volume pot replacement. Are there any "unofficial" solutions? I know it's a proprietary "ganged" pot with different tapers for magnetics and modeling, but I need a working guitar. Does anyone know what would happen if someone just soldered in a regular volume pot or something? 

Strangely I noticed today that the dead spots, drop outs and crackles happen only when rolling DOWN in modeling mode and only when rolling UP in magnetics mode. Also, for the sake of this thought experiment, I only use modeling mode. I never use the mags.

I just want my main guitar back in working order!

Probably not be the answer you're looking for, and obviously it'll cost you a few bucks, but with the world being in the state that it's in, you'd probably have more luck buying a used Variax and cannibalizing it for the volume pot than waiting around for some service center to finally get it back in stock. If it's already been 3 months, I'll bet hard cash that you'll wait another 3, if not longer. It's an ultra-specific part for a very niche product... and a rapidly aging niche product at that...I guarantee the producing/ distributing Variax-specific volume pots is not high on anybody's to-do list.

At least then you'd have one working guitar... then if the rest of the planet ever gets it's $h*t together again, you'll eventually get your part, and then you'd have your guitar, and a functioning spare for the next time something craps outs. Just my 2 cents...

On 9/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, psarkissian said:

Not a matter of L6 getting its s*** together, as much as it is the logistical nightmare CoVid inflicted on all of us.

And world politics aren't helping any either. I'm looking into it.

I didn't say anything about Line 6...I said "if the world ever gets it's $h*t together". And frankly, everybody and their dear old mother constantly using the catch-all COVID excuse to justify why nothing can be accomplished within a normal time frame anymore, is getting old quick. We're nearly 3 years in... we've all had plenty of time to adapt to our glorious "new normal", yet the blame game continues... but I digress.

Regardless, since the virus will be with us forever, so will the excuses, I suspect. Sorry Teach, COVID ate my homework...

Our stuff is in the pipeline, but running a bit late. They keep pushing back our ETA on stuff.

Waiting for parts and product like everyone else.

With lock downs in China easing up, it's now a matter of catch up. No work slow downs with

the trucking people, though we had a close call with the rail service recently. Everyone is almost

caught up from that Ever Given bottleneck in the Suez canal. Almost caught. Almost had another

one there last month. Close call.

Fortunately CoVid didn't eat my homework. We've all been here in repair since post lock-down May 2020.

Don't know what's up with the service center in Austin. Maybe their people catching a bug, maybe weather...

winding down from hurricane and tornado season soon. Not a problem shippers. No open orders from them

for parts. Questions, but no answers,... debating in a vacuum, as the saying goes.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as I can.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Probably not be the answer you're looking for, and obviously it'll cost you a few bucks, but with the world being in the state that it's in, you'd probably have more luck buying a used Variax and cannibalizing it for the volume pot than waiting around for some service center to finally get it back in stock. If it's already been 3 months, I'll bet hard cash that you'll wait another 3, if not longer. It's an ultra-specific part for a very niche product... and a rapidly aging niche product at that...I guarantee the producing/ distributing Variax-specific volume pots is not high on anybody's to-do list.

At least then you'd have one working guitar... then if the rest of the planet ever gets it's $h*t together again, you'll eventually get your part, and then you'd have your guitar, and a functioning spare for the next time something craps outs. Just my 2 cents...

This is exactly what I'm worried about and why I'm looking into other options like wiring in a regular pot. I LOVE my JTV-69 but it's already considered an "old" product at this point, and volume pots will always eventually need replacing. It sucks having my main #1 guitar out of commission simply because of a faulty pot that I can't replace and as you mentioned, it's only going to get worse as the years pass being such a specific part. I had actually thought about searching for a used JTV but I just got a Variax Limited Amethyst as my backup (and current since it's the only one working). I've used Varaxes since the very first one and I have no desire to go back to regular guitars. I have a custom finish on my JTV as well as a very expensive custom Warmoth neck, so I'd really like to keep it functioning as opposed to just getting a new one! Guitars aren't disposable!

In short, I agree with your sentiments, and it's a shame that this is such a pain. I love my Variaxes!

On 10/2/2022 at 10:07 PM, Nos402 said:

Guitars aren't disposable!

Well, like it or not, when you stuff them full of fancy tech that will inevitably no longer be supported as it gradually becomes incompatible with more up to date ancillary devices/computers that you need to keep them functioning as intended, disposable is exactly what they are. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth... besides, I'll start needing to have my parts replaced before most of my traditional guitars will, lol. This is largely the reason I drifted back to my other guitars. Plus, after going wireless with everything else, being tethered with the Variax started to drive me nuts. Oh well.. life goes on.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I own a JTV-69 guitar. I purchased it about 5 or 6 years ago so its likely out of warranty. My volume pot doesn't function anymore, it spins infinitely and the guitar produces no sound.  Is the part available yet ? Where can I take it in Southern California to be repaired ? 

On 6/7/2023 at 8:14 PM, Cgdeg said:

Hello, I own a JTV-69 guitar. I purchased it about 5 or 6 years ago so its likely out of warranty. My volume pot doesn't function anymore, it spins infinitely and the guitar produces no sound.  Is the part available yet ? Where can I take it in Southern California to be repaired ? 

I never found one nor did my authorized service center. I did end up finding the entire UI assembly (Volume, Tone, Model Select, Tuning Select, Pickup selector) and bought that since it was my only option. This is what I got for my JTV-69.

Thanks for the update.  It is out of stock now unfortunately, but hopefully be available again. Did you change it out yourself ? It looks like a connector changes out where it connects to the rest of the circuitry / motherboard.  

Thanks for the update.  It is out of stock now unfortunately, but hopefully be available again. Did you change it out yourself ? It looks like a connector changes out where it connects to the rest of the circuitry / motherboard.  

On 6/7/2023 at 10:16 PM, Cgdeg said:

I had my tech at Strait Music do it to be safe.

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, Nos402 said:

I never found one nor did my authorized service center. I did end up finding the entire UI assembly (Volume, Tone, Model Select, Tuning Select, Pickup selector) and bought that since it was my only option. This is what I got for my JTV-69.

Thank you for sharing that!  $50 is pretty cheap to get your favorite guitar back in production.  They are "temporarily out of stock" at this time at fullcompass.com.  My JTV69 volume pot works but it's scratchy.  I just want to spray it with DeOxit, but it's sealed!