Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dimension Chorus in stereo?

boynigel

my favorite chorus is the boss dc-2W.  incredible in stereo.  Unless i'm missing something, the Helix version of this is mono-only.  Perhaps because it's a Legacy effect?

If anyone is reading this who's a fan of the "motionless" variety of choruses, is there anything in the Helix, in stereo, that comes close to the Dimension chorus effect?

If your Helix is not already running firmware 3.15 (released Feb '22), install it to have the benefit of all the latest FX.

As for the Stereo choruses, your best approach would be to explore the range of each FX's parameters to determine which, if any, may satisfy your taste.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, boynigel said:

my favorite chorus is the boss dc-2W.  incredible in stereo.  Unless i'm missing something, the Helix version of this is mono-only.  Perhaps because it's a Legacy effect?

If anyone is reading this who's a fan of the "motionless" variety of choruses, is there anything in the Helix, in stereo, that comes close to the Dimension chorus effect?

Is the legacy "Dimension" model the one that models the DC-2W? If so, I believe it is stereo. Usually if the original effect had stereo then the Line 6 one does. More specifically, it takes a mono input and makes it stereo. The user below compiled an excellent list a while back. Check it out:

https://line6.com/support/topic/64153-legacy-fx-stereo-or-mono/?do=findComment&comment=432434

On 9/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, Kilrahi said:

Is the legacy "Dimension" model the one that models the DC-2W? If so, I believe it is stereo. Usually if the original effect had stereo then the Line 6 one does. More specifically, it takes a mono input and makes it stereo. The user below compiled an excellent list a while back. Check it out:

I'm assuming that the legacy effect models were borrowed from the four 4-button pedals(delay, mod, dist/od, filter) that they came out with 20 years ago.  if that's the case, their model of the Dimension predates the DC-2W.  However if what you stated is true, then the Dimension model is indeed stereo.  I'll have to give it a try.  I was going on the basis that the Helix manual states that effects that are in stereo will have a little symbol next to them that kinda looks like an infinity symbol.  When I was scrolling through the choruses and didn't see that symbol on the Dimension, I thought all bets were off for stereo.  happy to be wrong.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:39 PM, boynigel said:

I'm assuming that the legacy effect models were borrowed from the four 4-button pedals(delay, mod, dist/od, filter) that they came out with 20 years ago.  if that's the case, their model of the Dimension predates the DC-2W.  However if what you stated is true, then the Dimension model is indeed stereo.  I'll have to give it a try.  I was going on the basis that the Helix manual states that effects that are in stereo will have a little symbol next to them that kinda looks like an infinity symbol.  When I was scrolling through the choruses and didn't see that symbol on the Dimension, I thought all bets were off for stereo.  happy to be wrong.

Yeah for some reason L6 decided all legacy Helix effects get a museum image regardless of if they're stereo or mono. Perhaps because they aren't as simple as the yes/no setup of the Helix designed models.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 4:39 AM, boynigel said:

their model of the Dimension predates the DC-2W

Hi,

It sure does predate the pedals - AFAIK, it is based on the original Roland Dimension D rack mounted studio unit:

“One of the first true stereo chorus units. Relatively subtle in it's nature, it became an industry standard for double-track effects.“

Quote from:

https://helixhelp.com/models?categoryId=4&subCategoryId=6

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1