Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - FX Loop 2 - Walrus Mako D1 pedal

corena

Hi,

I have an external Walrus Mako D1 delay pedal that I'm trying to connect to my FX Loop 2 on HX Effects Unit. I thought this was a pretty simple connect FX Loop 2 --> Send -> input Walrus D1 & output Walrus D1 -> Return --> FX Loop 2. Then, activate/add FX Loop 2 block in chain within HX Edit for the channel. Have not been able to get any external delay from Walrus. Am I missing something obvious? Seems this should be simple. The D1 is a digital delay with midi options so it's not your typical analog pedal as I understand.

FX Loop 1 is used for 4cm? FX after the FX Loop 1 Block work?

FX Loop 2 Block Activated (not bypassed) And set to INSTRUMENT in Global Settings?

Pedal Active (Not Bypassed)?

Mix Knob on pedal turned up to taste?

If all of that is, and the pedal works outside of the FX Loop (between guitar and whatever the guitar plugs in to), then test your cables that you're using for the FX Loop.

If all of that is good, then IDK.

• Thanks 1

Usually it's a small over sight causing the problem. From the sound of things you're doing it right.

In addition to the above sometimes I've made the mistake of using the wrong FX block option.  Generally you want the mono send/return block or two blocks,  one send, the other return.  I've used return for send and vice versa only to feel like a complete moron later. 

• Thanks 1

I'm mostly using HX Edit software to edit the block for the preset channel. But, I have Instrument selected for Send/Return1 and Send/Return2 in Global Settings (not aware you can view Global Settings within HX Edit). Not sure if I even need to be concerned with the Bypass/Controller Assign tab section on FX Loop block item.

HX_Effects.JPG

send.JPG

On 9/30/2022 at 9:38 PM, corena said:

Not sure if I even need to be concerned with the Bypass/Controller Assign tab section on FX Loop block item.

Hi,

I’m a little late to this, and I use the Helix Floor not the HX Effects box, but usually anything patched into a FX Loop should just work.

One thing I noticed in your screenshot of the preset is that the Send/Return block has the Return set to Snapshot 2 (the white brackets around the 0.0dB show that).

Are you sure that you have this preset set properly? Why FX 2 rather than FX Loop 1? (Not that it should make difference!)

I don’t understand this at all, because every outboard stereo effect that I have ever patched into a FX Loop just works as expected.

Possibly a little more insight into your set up may help.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I’m a little late to this, and I use the Helix Floor not the HX Effects box, but usually anything patched into a FX Loop should just work.

One thing I noticed in your screenshot of the preset is that the Send/Return block has the Return set to Snapshot 2 (the white brackets around the 0.0dB show that).

Are you sure that you have this preset set properly? Why FX 2 rather than FX Loop 1? (Not that it should make difference!)

I don’t understand this at all, because every outboard stereo effect that I have ever patched into a FX Loop just works as expected.

Possibly a little more insight into your set up may help.

Hi,

I guess I didn't use FX Loop 1 because I'm using the 4 cable method with that Send/Return going into my amp head Input and Send. Just thought it would be easier to park my external pedal within FX Loop 2 without getting cross wired with amp. Is that not necessary?

Attached is a demo preset. I've no idea what specific FX you're using so I just used the same type.

I created this on an HX Stomp, but it should load on the HXFX.

The first FX Loop (FX Loop 1) is your 4cm.

The second FX Loop (FX Loop 2) is your Walrus. You can put that anywhere in the chain, but it will NOT be stereo.

The Simple Delay is MONO because you had the HX Delay before the Walrus. If you want it stereo move it after the Walrus FX Loop and make it stereo.

The two verbs are stereo.

Snapshot 2 Bypasses the Walrus FX Loop (FX Loop 2). Leave the Walrus ON at all times and use SS2 to Bypass it.

If the Walrus is True Bypass then you COULD use MIDI to Bypass it IF it passes unprocessed signal when Bypassed that way. RTM.

So, both FX Loops set to INSTRUMENT.

1/4" TS from FX Loop 1 SEND to Amp Input, 1/4" TS from Amp FX Send to FX Loop 1 RETURN.

1/4" TS from FX Loop 2 SEND to Walrus Mono In, 1/4" TS from Walrus Mono Out to FX Loop 2 RETURN.

I don't know what the Walrus uses MIDI for, I assume it has Presets? Whatever Preset you want it to use, send MIDI by whatever means you choose, just make sure that whatever Snapshot you use to Bypass it's FX Loop (FX Loop R) doesn't send it a Preset because you won't hear it!

corena.hlx

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:33 PM, rd2rk said:

Attached is a demo preset. I've no idea what specific FX you're using so I just used the same type.

I created this on an HX Stomp, but it should load on the HXFX.

The first FX Loop (FX Loop 1) is your 4cm.

The second FX Loop (FX Loop 2) is your Walrus. You can put that anywhere in the chain, but it will NOT be stereo.

The Simple Delay is MONO because you had the HX Delay before the Walrus. If you want it stereo move it after the Walrus FX Loop and make it stereo.

The two verbs are stereo.

Snapshot 2 Bypasses the Walrus FX Loop (FX Loop 2). Leave the Walrus ON at all times and use SS2 to Bypass it.

If the Walrus is True Bypass then you COULD use MIDI to Bypass it IF it passes unprocessed signal when Bypassed that way. RTM.

So, both FX Loops set to INSTRUMENT.

1/4" TS from FX Loop 1 SEND to Amp Input, 1/4" TS from Amp FX Send to FX Loop 1 RETURN.

1/4" TS from FX Loop 2 SEND to Walrus Mono In, 1/4" TS from Walrus Mono Out to FX Loop 2 RETURN.

I don't know what the Walrus uses MIDI for, I assume it has Presets? Whatever Preset you want it to use, send MIDI by whatever means you choose, just make sure that whatever Snapshot you use to Bypass it's FX Loop (FX Loop R) doesn't send it a Preset because you won't hear it!

Thank you very much for the preset import. So, I switched out the Walrus with an analog reverb pedal I had....which seemed to work in your preset. Also, seemed to work in my preset as well. My FX Loop 2 is set to Mono with the Bypass set also. 

The digital Walrus does have Midi which I'm not trying to utilize in this FX Loop 2 scenario because you can manually switch between 1 of 9 presets on the pedal itself. I am plugged into the Mono input/output 1/4 jacks on the Walrus (which connected to FX Loop 2). Wondering if it's something to do with being a digital delay pedal? To be honest, the delays and reverbs seem pretty good on the HX Effects so I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time? So far, I've only found external overdrive pedals connected to HX Effects to be of any noticeable sound improvement. 

Knocking the Helix reverbs is a popular sport on the forums, often done by folks who are used to the "instant gratification" of the many factory presets available in HW devices such as Strymon and Eventide. There's a discussion going on right now in the TGP D&M forum about this very subject. The Helix reverbs take a bit to figure out all of the parameters, but many folks get amazing results. Here's a link to a book with lots of tips and tricks. It's not free but not expensive either, and written by a leading industry authority.

Sweetwater Publishing The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks v1.1 by Craig Anderton

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, corena said:

To be honest, the delays and reverbs seem pretty good on the HX Effects so I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time?

When the first Walrus Mako D1 hit the streets, I seriously considered buying one, simply for the slow attack function. I ultimately didn’t buy one as I thought it was a rather expensive investment for that one particular trick. I’m even more glad I didn’t buy one, because it had only been available for a short time when the new improved version with added features appeared.

Anyhow, the Helix has some interesting delay models - Euclidean for example, along with all the usual suspects, Multi Tap, Ping Pong, Reverse, Tape, Analogue. The best thing to do is experiment with them to see what you can achieve. Try running one into another, or having 2 delays on different paths.

You haven’t said if you have tried the simplest way of testing the delay unit by sticking your guitar into it and then taking the mono out into your amp. That will show if it works correctly.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, rd2rk said:

Knocking the Helix reverbs is a popular sport on the forums, often done by folks who are used to the "instant gratification" of the many factory presets available in HW devices such as Strymon and Eventide. There's a discussion going on right now in the TGP D&M forum about this very subject. The Helix reverbs take a bit to figure out all of the parameters, but many folks get amazing results. Here's a link to a book with lots of tips and tricks. It's not free but not expensive either, and written by a leading industry authority.

Sweetwater Publishing The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks v1.1 by Craig Anderton

I feel like after the most recent batch of added verbs those people look like clowns. 

I hate clowns. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all for your replies. I will check out the Big Book of Helix Tips. I'm still somewhat new to Line 6 effects so I've just been changing presets as I see stuff on YouTube that catches my eye and tweaking the rest by ear. But, I've seen nothing to believe the Helix delays cannot do anything the Walrus D1 can....and yes it's not a cheap pedal. The only reason I bought the Walrus was because I have a Boss Katana digital amp and was not satisfied with the delay options. 

For my reverb swap test (instead of the Walrus D1), I was using a cheap Biyang rv-10 baby boom tri-reverb pedal. I believe it's China made if not mistaken. It's not a bad pedal and does add flavor to the HX presets, but has an awful hum where I may need a noise gate to clean up after it. 

Now, I have an MK15 (Mark Tremonti) amp head with Marshall speakers which the HX Effects compliments very well. I just got tired on rolling the dice on pedal after pedal.

I've had a busy weekend but I will test the Walrus directly into my guitar to rule out no issues with the pedal and re-post results here. 

• Thanks 1