Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL into Powercab Plus then to studio monitors (in stereo??)

adagosto

Can anyone please help me understand the best way to hook up my HX Stomp XL to a Powecab Plus?

I am currently using the 4CM with an amp and I guess that all goes out the window with the PC...so is this correct way to do it?

Guitar --> compressor pedal --> Overdrive pedal --> HX Stomp INPUT. Then HX Stomp L/MONO OUTPUT --> PC Input 1

So first off is that correct? If so, let me complicate things.....

I also have a TC Electronics Plethora X3, so this should simply connect into the XH Stomp's effects loop right? I'm not sure how the Blocks will work....

Assuming I have that correct, here's where things get more interesting...I want to then connect my studio monitors as well (think of them as Mains). So in this case I would simply connect the PC Output L to my left monitor and the PC Output R to the right monitor. Is that correct?

Then, if that's all correct, this STILL would not be true stereo it would be two mono signals regardless of the the stereo block I might use. So if that's correct, then....

How can I get the stereo signal to the studio monitors? I imagine i will need to get the XH Stomp Right Output involvedpossibly to the PC Input 2??

Oh boy.....if you have hung in there with me this long....thanks for playing!

Do you mean the 212 or the 112? My advice below should work on both until you get to your final question.  I believe you need the 212 to output stereo. 

Because the Powercab is just a flat speaker then all you need to do is plug direct into the Powercab.  Use both left and right outputs for stereo into 212. Make sure your at least your final Stomp block is stereo for true stereo. 

For fx loop, yeah,  just stick it in there and use FX send/return block. 

Yes, for monitors you just need to use 212's outputs direct into them.  Nothing special there. 

Now,  will it be stereo? Uh ... I dunno.  Powercab DOES have a global setting to send stereo via outputs (make sure if you test that's on) BUT if you use IR or cab models in Powercab my guess is no because typically the cab and IR turn true stereo to mono. However, if all you're using is Powercab as a flat response,  no cab modeling or IRs then yes,  it should retain the stereo signal. 

Hi.

Thank you for the response.

I am looking at the 112+. I can get a used one on mostly add trade.

So if I connect the HX Stomp Right Output to the PC, and my last block is a stereo block, AND my studio monitors are connected to the L/R outputs from the PC....my thinking is that the sound coming from the PC speaker itself will be mono but the stereo signal will be sent to to the monitors.

Does this "sound" correct?

I think you will like the PC+112... I love mine... 

There is only one output for the PC+112.  I'm not sure if that is a stereo out or not???   One thing you might try is using the headphones out of the Stomp to your studio speakers.  that should be a stereo out. I've never done that, but maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, adagosto said:

Hi.

Thank you for the response.

I am looking at the 112+. I can get a used one on mostly add trade.

So if I connect the HX Stomp Right Output to the PC, and my last block is a stereo block, AND my studio monitors are connected to the L/R outputs from the PC....my thinking is that the sound coming from the PC speaker itself will be mono but the stereo signal will be sent to to the monitors.

Does this "sound" correct?

On 9/30/2022 at 10:39 AM, PaulTBaker said:

I think you will like the PC+112... I love mine... 

There is only one output for the PC+112.  I'm not sure if that is a stereo out or not???   One thing you might try is using the headphones out of the Stomp to your studio speakers.  that should be a stereo out. I've never done that, but maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

According to the Powercab manual, only the XLR of the 212 Plus is stereo. The XLR on the 112 and 112 plus are mono outputs. 

If you weren't using the Plethora X3 you could easily use the HX Stomp's FX send to either go to the Powercab OR do to a stereo output to two monitors. 

Where you do want to implement it, your options might become more limited. I still think you might be able to get there though. @PaulTBaker's idea to use the HX Stomp headphone out to go to your monitors is a creative idea that might work. The headphone jack of the Stomp is stereo, but it's output isn't as hot as the Stomp's other outputs. Still, if it's turned to max and using the volume adjustors on your monitors it might get you there. 

ANOTHER option might be available if you don't need the Plethora effects to be stereo. In that case, you can use one of the HX Stomp's sends (left send or right send) to have the Plethora in the FX loop in mono. You could then use the OTHER HX Stomp send to go to the Powercab since you don't need it to be stereo. This would eat up two Stomp blocks leaving only six, but with the Plethora it might make up for it. You could then use the HX Stomp's main outs to go to your monitors in stereo. 

So I am currently using my HX Stomp headphones output to drive the studio monitors. It works just fine. Yes it's not as "hot" as other outputs, but given I'm only using that in my room, it's totally fine. I figured that if the PC had the output I should use it. Maybe not in my case...So now, if I just use the headphones out, I no longer need to worry about getting the PC a stereo signal even if there was a way...

Now I need to find a way to set everything up to quickly and easily move back and forth from running out the the PC and over to the Vox and back again. I think it's going to be a total pain...

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, adagosto said:

Now I need to find a way to set everything up to quickly and easily move back and forth from running out the the PC and over to the Vox and back again. I think it's going to be a total pain...

A passive Big Knob will do the job ;)

9-AC27-A79-569-B-4414-88-A5-E10-EB8-B127