Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go latency issue?

Sky_Island

Hey!

I bought a brand new Pod Go this last week and it got here Monday. I'd been super excited to get acquainted with it, and it sounds awesome...but there's an issue. At random intervals, I'll get a crazy 1-2 second lag spike that won't go away unless I turn the device off and restart it. It's been a fairly consistent issue and I'm not entirely sure if it's a firmware issue, hardware issue, or if I've got it hooked up wrong somehow. Right now I've got it plugged into my MacBook Pro (Monterey M1 OS) via the USB cable that came with it and have it running into GarageBand as a DAW. My Pod Go and Pod Edit software are both updated to Version 1.40, and my laptop and GarageBand are both up to date. Is anybody else having a similar issue, and if so, is there any troubleshooting I can try? I really want to like the Pod Go but this problem is pretty big, because as is I can't count on this thing for live play or recording. A full second or two of latency isn't exactly workable!

As an aside, I did already file a support ticket with Line 6 on Monday, but it's been more that 3 business days and I've gotten no response from their support team. I've tried their phone number, I've tried texting their support number and I've filed a ticket. I just want to know if I should return the device to the store I've got it from; they have a 7-day grace period for refunds and I feel like I've already wasted 4 days waiting on an answer from Line 6. Pretty frustrating. 

The most prudent path for you, I think, is to return it and get a replacement. If the same issue persists then your support ticket will remain valid when Line 6 gets to it. If the problem is fixed, then you can close your ticket. 

On 9/30/2022 at 5:20 PM, Sky_Island said:

Right now I've got it plugged into my MacBook Pro (Monterey M1 OS) via the USB cable that came with it and have it running into GarageBand as a DAW. My Pod Go and Pod Edit software are both updated to Version 1.40, and my laptop and GarageBand are both up to date. Is anybody else having a similar issue, and if so, is there any troubleshooting I can try? I really want to like the Pod Go but this problem is pretty big, because as is I can't count on this thing for live play or recording. A full second or two of latency isn't exactly workable!

Are you sure it's not an issue with the software side of things?  Because it kinda sounds like it is...

I would try to plug in just some headphones or output the sound directly to some other device; amp or monitors or something and see if you can reproduce the issue.

When you're having the issue, restarting the software and unplugging the Go USB cable would be a good test.

Also reminds me of an ultra cheap 15$ USB guitar adapter I once bought, works for 10-20m then it because unusable.  Just have it in a box somewhere..

And last also, a DAW is not typically used for live, I think the delay thing is pretty much 'built-in', it can be minimized using different drivers and settings, but from what I recall, it'll never be perfect; it's more for recording than anything else.  But I might be wrong as I'm on expert in the field!  "A DAW or "Digital Audio Workstation" is any digital software or device that allows you to record, edit and compose your audio tracks."

Confident this is your issue.  Using audio out of the Go, I'm pretty sure it'll work correctly, so DAW latency = DAW issue...  I tried and pretty much gave up the idea when I got the Go myself; when with amp/speakers setup.

IMHO, For live, outputting audio from Go would work.  Go -> laptop -> house audio / speakers very likely not best route.  But laptop/DAW users might chime in and contradict this though!

Okay, good news! So first off, right after I made this post (like, within the hour), I got a response from Line 6 with the support ticket. But this weekend, I reached out to someone who knows Macs better than I do and together we managed to get the Line 6 updater software installed and then rebooted the computer. After the reboot, I haven't run into the latency issue again. Think the problem may have been a buffering issue relating to installing a driver/the updater software.  I may have solved the problem!!!

Thanks for all the help! Excited to dig into the Pod for real now! :)

On 10/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, Sky_Island said:

Okay, good news! So first off, right after I made this post (like, within the hour), I got a response from Line 6 with the support ticket. But this weekend, I reached out to someone who knows Macs better than I do and together we managed to get the Line 6 updater software installed and then rebooted the computer. After the reboot, I haven't run into the latency issue again. Think the problem may have been a buffering issue relating to installing a driver/the updater software.  I may have solved the problem!!!

Thanks for all the help! Excited to dig into the Pod for real now! :)

Well, psyche. 

As soon as I get home from a weekend vacation, the Pod Go immediately has problems again. Same setup, etc. I did test with a practice amp and that actually worked fine, so at least I know I'm dealing with a software issue. It's pretty frustrating not having a brand new thing work right, but hey, at least the potential issues are narrowed down? 

I am a POD Go owner since May 2020.  I experience almost the same issue - but only when using POD Go as an interface in a DAW.

For my application, I use POD Go Edit in one window to modify patches/parameters while I have Logic Pro X running on a separate window to monitor the level.  After some period of time, the "lag" you mentioned starts to creep in and affect the output signal by 2-3 seconds.  I can usually correct the problem by either 1) closing the Logic Pro file and restarting or 2) closing the DAW entirely and restarting.  Sometimes a single reset will be enough that the problem doesn't reappear; other times, it will come back in a few minutes.  I have never powered off the POD Go to fix the issue. 

Let me be clear - you should not be worried that this will happen during normal "gig" applications (when the POD Go is using 1/4" Main Outs into DI/a mixing board).  I have been gigging with the POD Go for over two years with no issue.  I believe this is a digital quirk that only affects the USB interface when it is used as an interface.  It totally depends on your applications, but for me, this quirk is not a deal-breaker and I don't consider my unit malfunctioning. 

Hope this helps,

Andrew