Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.15 update PROBLEM...

thazme

So... my techie son decided to do me a favour when I was out of town, and "updated" my Helix to 3.15 for me.  Evidently he did the following:

updated the Line 6 Updater, then ran that which apparently updated the Helix to 3.15

THEN, he updated HX Edit and made a backup.

THEN, he did a factory reset on the Helix and after that restored the backup.

NOW there's a huge latency in the connection between the Helix and HX Edit...

ALSO a big delay in Helix when switching from one preset to another

not really sure what to do here / if I remove+trash HX Edit and do a new download, would I be able to use that to "re-update" the Helix FW ?

MANY thanks for any and all suggestions, insights etc !

(BTW, son had best of intentions, but it turns out he didn't READ the instructions... sigh.)

On 10/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, thazme said:

(BTW, son had best of intentions, but it turns out he didn't READ the instructions... sigh.)

Hi,

Yeah right - The road to hell is paved with good intentions..

From the Firmware download page.

How do I update to 3.15?

If you're running HX Edit 3.01 or higher (released on Feb 2, 2021), just connect Helix/HX to your computer via USB and launch HX Edit. The software will walk you through the entire procedure, including backing everything up to your computer and updating both HX Edit and your Helix/HX firmware. If you're running an older version of HX Edit, you must update it before updating your Helix/HX hardware

When you have a screwed up install- do it again, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Very rarely does a messed up install turn your Helix into a huge paperweight.

Hope this helps makes sense.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, thazme said:

So... my techie son decided to do me a favour when I was out of town, and "updated" my Helix to 3.15 for me.  Evidently he did the following:

updated the Line 6 Updater, then ran that which apparently updated the Helix to 3.15

THEN, he updated HX Edit and made a backup.

THEN, he did a factory reset on the Helix and after that restored the backup.

NOW there's a huge latency in the connection between the Helix and HX Edit...

ALSO a big delay in Helix when switching from one preset to another

not really sure what to do here / if I remove+trash HX Edit and do a new download, would I be able to use that to "re-update" the Helix FW ?

MANY thanks for any and all suggestions, insights etc !

Kids ... gotta love 'em, eh? 

I have so many similar stories...lol

On 10/3/2022 at 3:31 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Yeah right - The road to hell is paved with good intentions..

From the Firmware download page.

How do I update to 3.15?

If you're running HX Edit 3.01 or higher (released on Feb 2, 2021), just connect Helix/HX to your computer via USB and launch HX Edit. The software will walk you through the entire procedure, including backing everything up to your computer and updating both HX Edit and your Helix/HX firmware. If you're running an older version of HX Edit, you must update it before updating your Helix/HX hardware

When you have a screwed up install- do it again, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Very rarely does a messed up install turn your Helix into a huge paperweight.

Hope this helps makes sense.

THANKS for the input / much appreciated !  However, I've dumped the HX Edit 3.15, then re-downloaded and installed it but it doesn't automagically take me to the Helix FW procedure, so am still a bit confused. Am currently assuming the FW 3.15 install already on the Helix via the Updater now needs to be removed or replaced by the HX Edit ?  or not ? 

BTW, the boy is now taking a break from 'assisting' me... 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, thazme said:

THANKS for the input / much appreciated !  However, I've dumped the HX Edit 3.15, then re-downloaded and installed it but it doesn't automagically take me to the Helix FW procedure, so am still a bit confused. Am currently assuming the FW 3.15 install already on the Helix via the Updater now needs to be removed or replaced by the HX Edit ?  or not ? 

The reason HX Edit is not prompting you for an update is that the firmware on the Helix is now probably already at 3.15, as is the HX Edit version. Make sure you take a backup first! Then I would try a global factory reset using the FS 9&10 option and afterwards restore your backup. That might just take care of things.

If that doesn't work, you can try redoing the firmware update using the Updater and then doing a global reset and restore.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2022 at 3:15 AM, thazme said:

BTW, the boy is now taking a break from 'assisting' me...  Ah, the enthusiasm of youth! Although, it’s surprising how many times people have posted to these forums regarding problems with updating, or installing firmware, and the best solution would be for them to find a 14 year old kid to do it for them! Oh, well.

If the “Reset procedure, suggested by “Honest Opinion” in the post above, doesn’t do the trick them follow these instructions.

From the Line 6 Firmware Update Release Notes v3.0

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

link:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1