Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Twin Harmony

PaulTBaker

Hey.  I'm not a music major and don't read music.  I have been playing guitar for 50 some years :).  My question is about what settings to use on the Twin Harmony if I want to mimic some of the Allman Bros. harmonies..... not sure if that is possible.  For example, Memory of Elizabeth Reed.  What settings would you use?

Thanks for the help!

One thing about using the harmonizer is that the interval is set. So if the original has a harmony lead that's not the same interval throughout the song, it won't work. Like from a 3rd to a 6th. It changes the interval to the proper minor or major interval based on the scale you set it to but the interval number itself does not change. This means you need would need to change the interval in the middle of the solo. An example would be the end lead for Hotel California. As I recal, there are two different intervals and I think it even uses two different scales. However, you can setup the interval and scale to be changed by a snapshot. That's how you can do the Hotel California harmony solo. I can't remember what the intervals are or the scale used but you can switch intervals that way (I think there are two). I think Memory Of Elizabeth Reed has more than two different intervals so you'll have to setup more snapshots but it can be done. In fact with the Hotel California lead I set it up so I can just rock the Expression pedal back and forth to go between the two different intervals. Hope I didn't just confuse things more.

• Upvote 3

The most common "twin guitar harmony" is a parallel third, and iIf you set the key correctly, Helix will automatically switch between major & minor thirds. This gets you 80% of the way there, but a few chords will require a perfect fourth as the harmony note instead. For that you don't even need snapshots; you can assign one footswitch to toggle the harmony between the 3rd and 4th in the scale, and even make the switch momentary. IMO that's the easiest way to do this stuff.

• Upvote 1

As you say jester700. There's more than one way to change the parameters. Since I only had two settings for the Hotel California patch I used the Expression pedal to do the switch. Just because it's a bigger "button". I love that the Helix has so many options to solve problems.