Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI CC Strangeness

fisch723

I've been experimenting with using MIDI expression pedals on synths I'm triggering with my guitar and have a MIDI foot controller into the MIDI IN of the Helix. I have the expression pedal set to CC1 which is Modulation Wheel and I can see (using MIDI Monitor on my Mac) that is sending just that (using Helix's MIDI Thru) and it is properly moving the mod wheel on a soft synth. Great.

The problem is it is ALSO controlling any Helix patches with a Volume Pedal so when I pedal down the mod wheel (to its origin) it also turns the volume pedal all the way down on the patch. I tried moving it to another block but it still is affected. If I turn it off I can see the ghosted version going up and down but it doesn't affect the volume.

Anyone aware of this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MIDI CC#1 does indeed emulate Exp Pedal 1 WHEN TRANSMITTED ON THE HELIX BASE CHANNEL - Channel 1 by default. If you change the BASE CHANNEL to something other than CH1 or set the pedal to transmit on another channel and tell your synth to listen on that channel, that will solve your problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 12:35 AM, rd2rk said:

MIDI CC#1 does indeed emulate Exp Pedal 1 WHEN TRANSMITTED ON THE HELIX BASE CHANNEL - Channel 1 by default. If you change the BASE CHANNEL to something other than CH1 or set the pedal to transmit on another channel and tell your synth to listen on that channel, that will solve your problem.

I never noticed any notifications about your reply. Thanks! That worked. I got the same advice from the FB Line 6 MIDI group. FWIW I had another issue in which changing presets on the Helix changed synth presets on my DAW. I ended up just filtering out program changes. Not sure if it's the most elegant solution, but it worked. :) 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:46 PM, fisch723 said:

I never noticed any notifications about your reply. Thanks! That worked. I got the same advice from the FB Line 6 MIDI group. FWIW I had another issue in which changing presets on the Helix changed synth presets on my DAW. I ended up just filtering out program changes. Not sure if it's the most elegant solution, but it worked. :) 

Global Settings>MIDI/Tap>MIDI PC Send = OFF. This prevents Helix automatically sending the PC# of the preset. It does NOT affect CommandCenter settings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2