Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL: I put IRs on it, but they don't really have any sound

jdsaj11

I am brand new to using IRs, so I just want to make sure I haven't skipped a step or done something wrong. I have some new York Audio IRs that I got into HX Edit and onto my Stomp XL. I can choose them while making a preset, and I can hear my guitar when I play because I come through an empty channel on a modeling amp whenever I use my Stomp XL. I get the slightest change in sound, but it's still very quiet and muffled whenever I add any of my IRs - like I'm really only hearing my guitar come through this barebones channel with minimal changes. They just don't sound like much of anything, and I don't understand. Even when I make a full preset with other effects with the IR, it's just a quiet muffled mess, as if there's no amp.

Silly question... but are you "choosing an IR" after you "load the IR block"? You can't just load the IR block.... you have to open that block then choose an IR.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, jdsaj11 said:

I can hear my guitar when I play because I come through an empty channel on a modeling amp whenever I use my Stomp XL.

Can you provide us a better description of your set up? I'm getting lost with that statement. 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, jdsaj11 said:

...I come through an empty channel on a modeling amp...

based on this sentence I don't think you want to use IRs or cabs.  If you already have a speaker that you are playing through, adding any cabs or IRs will likely do what you are saying:  sound bad and muffled and not that different between them.  They are essentially being "doubled" by the speaker in your modeling amp.

On 10/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, toddkc said:

based on this sentence I don't think you want to use IRs or cabs.  If you already have a speaker that you are playing through, adding any cabs or IRs will likely do what you are saying:  sound bad and muffled and not that different between them.  They are essentially being "doubled" by the speaker in your modeling amp.

It would depend on the settings of the modeling amp, but in most cases,  yeah. 

However,  since they said "empty channel" they may need a IR or cab, especially if it's a Spider V.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, Kilrahi said:

It would depend on the settings of the modeling amp, but in most cases,  yeah. 

However,  since they said "empty channel" they may need a IR or cab, especially if it's a Spider V.

I had no idea the spider v had that option, neat!

• 6 months later...
On 10/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, rd2rk said:

What does it sound like when you use a stock Cab or Amp+Cab? You know not to use those WITH IRs, right?

Heey rd2rk,

i.m using line6 HX stomp XL for a while , so...since i'm newbie with this IRs thing would you be kind to explain me why it's not possible to use IRs with amp/combo's or whatsoever? Found some IRs usefull to change colouration of the amp a bit, especially when using two channels combo to give some desired definition to lead channel

On 4/28/2023 at 4:06 AM, Duckmysick said:

Heey rd2rk,

i.m using line6 HX stomp XL for a while , so...since i'm newbie with this IRs thing would you be kind to explain me why it's not possible to use IRs with amp/combo's or whatsoever? Found some IRs usefull to change colouration of the amp a bit, especially when using two channels combo to give some desired definition to lead channel

Amp>cab = good

Amp>cab>cab = maybe good, maybe not. Would you do that ITRW?

Bottom line - in the digital wonderland, there is only one rule, the oldest - "If it SOUNDS good, it IS good!".

Virtual cabs/IRs are essentially another form of tone control.

Whereas, IRL, connecting cabs to cabs could cause an impedance mismatch with your power amp, causing the magic smoke to escape, that doesn't happen in this digital wonderland. Go ahead and use an IR or three into your combo. If you like it, rock out!

• Upvote 1