Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst 60 Direct Out is TOO HOT for both mixer and audio interface

davetherrien

I was testing a new setup tonight, and I ran the Catalyst Direct Out into my SSL 2+ audio interface. I discovered that even when the gain on the audio interface was set to zero, it was overdriving the channel. Then I tried this by sending the Catalyst Direct Out to a Mackie mixer, and I had the same problem. There seems to be no way to control the level of direct out. If I change the Ch Vol or the Master Vol settings I can control the level a bit more but it alwayssounds crunchy and the gain level on the mixer is still very low. Any ideas? 

The Cat's Channel Level controls the output level of the Channel to both the XLR and Master (Master does not affect XLR Output). 

Using the High-Gain Channel with the Channel Level dimed does not overload the Input on my 2nd gen Scarlett set to 0db (Unity).

The Cat's XLR Out is fixed at LINE Level. Maybe your SSL's Input level is set wrong?

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 9:43 AM, jondaryan said:

Having the same issue playing live. The XLR feed to the board produces distortion and clipping at fairly low levels. Others plugging in with different amps don't have the same problem. What's the cure?

It’s a line level signal. Most mixers should be able to accept it. The key is to not have any gain added to the channel at the mixer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What @phil_msaid is correct, but not all boards are created equal, and some FOH guys are just flat incompetent (the waitress's current boyfriend).

You control the XLR Out level with the Channel Level control, then compensate with the Master.

In the event that you have a sound tech that's impossible, having one of these WILL do the trick:

Amazon.com: Shure A15AS Switchable Attenuator (15, 20, 25 dB), Passes Phantom Power : Industrial & Scientific

Make sure the dummy doesn't have Phantom Power turned on.

• Like 1

Just got a replacement CAT 100 as the first one almost killed my FOH input in digital distortion. CH volume should be under 50 and still some digital distortion of the kind you REALLY dont want. Gain on mixer set to 0. The distortion does NOT come from the mixer but from the amp. I thought the first amp was broken somehow but this next one is the same. When I set the CH Vol below 50, I get so much noise that the amp is useless which is mu conclusion. Especially after 47 years of playing through all sorts of amps including a bunch of modelling amp... This look the best, but.... useless in a live setting if you want to use the XLR out. Through the amp itself there are no problems.... Welcome back my dear tube amps

On 2/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, Barcelli said:

Just got a replacement CAT 100 as the first one almost killed my FOH input in digital distortion. CH volume should be under 50 and still some digital distortion of the kind you REALLY dont want. Gain on mixer set to 0. The distortion does NOT come from the mixer but from the amp. I thought the first amp was broken somehow but this next one is the same. When I set the CH Vol below 50, I get so much noise that the amp is useless which is mu conclusion. Especially after 47 years of playing through all sorts of amps including a bunch of modelling amp... This look the best, but.... useless in a live setting if you want to use the XLR out. Through the amp itself there are no problems.... Welcome back my dear tube amps

It sounds like you’re just clipping whatever input you’re plugging into. What are you connected to?